Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62 C10 Wiring Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowroder, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Lowroder
    Did you hook up the ground wire like we discussed in posts 3 and 4. Did you disconnect and clean the headlight connections and headlight plugs.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

2. lowroder

lowroder

Well i Havent Been Able To Look at The Original Headlight Dim Issue. I Recently Encounter This No Working Tail,brake,turn light issue now at the rear. The rear was working fine other then a slighter dimmer running LED on drivers vs Pass. Which was Opposite Whats Happening up Front.
    When I went to start working on the "grounds " for the headlights i noticed that i had no illumination from the rear. So when i looked at the back... Now all of a sudden i have NO rear illumination at all . So now i have multiple lighting deals

3. lowroder

lowroder

Im going to start at power an check everything an try to get the rear to work properly again. Then tackle grounds up front.
    I should've ordered a new headlight switch with my new tail light harness. All Fuses are Good

4. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

I had a similar problem on a 64 Galaxie checked everything and spent hours doing it.i checked the fuse in the fuse block and it tested good. Checked it with the power with a test light and found no power checked it again and had power. I pulled the fuse and found corrosion on the brass terminal behind the fuse where it couldn't be seen. I spent hours checking every thing that could be related to intermittent signals dim tail lights no tail lights. I was thoughly embarrassed with my findings. Life lessons never had an issue again.

Sent from my SM-T580 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bobss396 and lowroder like this.
  5. Before you start throwing parts at it try to find out what the problem really is. Do you have a 12 volt test light if not get one. Take the damn led crap out and put it on the shelf for now, get two 1157 bulbs. Before you put them in turn on the tailights and the left turn signal, then look inside the bulb socket there are two round electrical contacts in there Ground your test light to a clean unpainted surface and touch one of the contacts. One of them will flash(the left turn) one will be on solid(left park light) if not start working yourself forward until you find the problem if you find you have power at these two contacts then hook up the ground wire like I posted in post #4 Do this first. One problem at a time do not try to solve multiple problems at the same time or you will fail every time. If you get the left rear turn to work then turn the right on and analyze it the same way you did the left. Jim

David Gersic and lowroder like this.
  6. lowroder

lowroder

Thank You... Ill Be Picking Up Those Stock Tail lamp bulbs from my local PS. Do You Know The Correct Bulb For Hood Marker? Those Are LED too But Work Perfectly

7. lowroder

lowroder

Ok ..Confused.
    Whats The Correct Bulb Number For The Rear Tail Lights .. Local PS says 7528 LL which is sylvaina long life.
    An Whats Correct For Front Hood Parking Lights .. PS Also Says 7528LL
    As Previous Suggested Said To Get 1157s ????
    i guess its the watt draw is less then the 1157s so they suggested the 7528s

8. From what I can tell 7528 is the replacement for 1157 so yes all four will be the same bulb
    The 7528LL is just long life so ok also

9. Once you get everything working properly you can always try your led bulbs again.
    I have had led bulbs do some strange things, I dont dislike them but they can cause things to not work the way they should some times.
    I am looking at some sequential LEDs for my ot 70 f100
    Just get things working first, as with any project establish a base line and try to get it working then modify it.

lowroder likes this.
  10. lowroder

lowroder

yes... i will be digging into this soon. i Also have a new rear harness coming . I got both harnesses from firewall to tail lights. just mainly to eliminate any old faulty wires.
    but ill need to verify my power is good coming from fuse block/light switch.

11. lowroder

lowroder

Well since i'm on a temporary lay off i got out to the garage earlier. still haven't received my tail light harnesses but, was going to dig into a few diagnostics. So strangely the tail lights came on today ... weird.
    so i checked some grounds an don't seem to change the brightness at the rear. However i pulled out my dim headlight on passenger side an after checking a jumping a new ground wire..Headlights work nice an bright. That issue solved.
    so now have to figure what exactly is happening out back.

12. You most likely have a wire or a connector braking contact. Have someone watch the tailight and start wiggling wires and conections and you should find it. The new harness will help if the problem is a broken wire in the old one. I have seen broken wires inside good plastic insulation. Clean all of your ground conections, clean the metal and if you can replace the rusty screws with new ones.
    Problems that fix themselves are sometimes the hardest to nail down since they come and go at will.
    Stay with it and you will win, Jim

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    lowroder likes this.
  13. Years back my brother was out in his nasty fast '64 GMC and the center hanger bearing on the 2-piece drive shaft parted company. It whipped around, beat the bottom of the bed and ripped out the wiring to the back of the truck. That he HAD to wire from scratch, fun times.

This truck site has harnesses and partials, depending on how bad yours is overall, it may be a consideration. Rebel has a couple that would be good for your truck.
    https://www.americanclassic.com/Wiring-Harness/products/205/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    lowroder likes this.
  14. lowroder

lowroder

cool website..
    i already ordered my harness from classicparts.com
    just waiting on the delivery.

15. lowroder

lowroder

Harnesses Arrived TODAY YAY !!!
    hope to dig into this soon.

16. That's what SHE said...

17. What harness did you get? With a 58 year old truck, quite often the way to go.

18. Post up some pics of the harness and your install process. Remember to put a little dielectric grease on your conections, even the grounds after you clean the metal.

lowroder likes this.
  19. I thought I should post a pic of my 64, the tailights havent worked in quite a while, really nothing has worked since around 1995, I got it two years ago[​IMG]

lowroder likes this.
  20. lowroder

lowroder

I got the harness from firewall to back.(intermediate) >< then the harness to tail light buckets.
    Ordered from classicparts.com Also ordered new tail light housing buckets since my old originals in the bulb socket area was suspect.
    (I always use dielectric grease on all my connections.)

21. lowroder

lowroder

i will definitely try an do selfies ....

22. lowroder

lowroder

Attached Files:

23. That should fix your tailight problems.

24. lowroder

lowroder

Update...
    Yesterday installed all new tail light buckes. Made separate ground wires for each.
    Cleaned all contact points. New screws.
    Used dielectric grease on each contact.
    New tailgate harness.
    So after that I wanted to see how things were...
    NOW... I have bright brake an tail.
    But when I turn on the left an right signal....
    It flashing like hazards...
    Ughhh now what.

25. Are they flashing together or alternating?
    If they are flashing together it could be the turn signal switch or two of the wires are touching somewhere between the switch and the back.
    If they are alternating it is most likely a bad ground.
    What are the front doing?
    Try to unplug your new harness and check the harness coming from the front and see if you have power on the left and right wires at the same time. Wish I was closer I would just show up and help.

26. If you have a front turn signal bulb that is out, you may get the rapid flashing. I say this all the time, bad bulbs can make you crazy. Again, look at the grounds.

harley jim likes this.
  27. We have been through problems like this dozens of times and no big deal, Its just really hard to explain the process over your phone.

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

First thing is get an LED turn signal flasher installed as for the dim headlights read this: "A river runs through it" https://watsons-streetworks.com/a-current-topic/ the relays will make a big difference. If you want "plug & play" get this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Headligh...t-Plugs-Relay-Wiring-Harness-Kit/262483542712

Chavezk21 likes this.
  29. lowroder

lowroder

They flash like hazards.
    After doing some wire checking in cab side.
    I returned back to tail light harness at rear.
    Unplug it an checked.
    Wire check reads correctly.
    So has to be in the new harness or something connected to that. That's all I changed so far besides new tail lamp buckets an made individual ground to frame

30. lowroder

lowroder