Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how do you manage your hot rod "to do" list?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

IMG_8120.JPG

Get some stick on whiteboard sheets and plaster some of your cabinets. I’ve got them on electrical cabinets for those to do lists. Parts cabinet for its own. Then paint supply cabinet for body and paint to do lists.
    When you go to each cabinet, your list is right in your face!

Whiteboard Sticker Paper Sheets, Easy Peel and Stick Dry Erase Contact Paper Upgrade 11 Ft Extra Wide, Self Adhesive Wall Paper Roll for Classroom, Planning, Office, Kid Painting, 3 Dry Erase Markers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5943T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1yCBEb4X2BJ2B

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

stillrunners and Hemi Joel like this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've nearly done everything now that needs to be done, bar a few things. I can see what's left to do and know how much it'll roughly cost me. With all my cars I've always had a 'TO DO' list that I work through adding things that need to do that I'd overlooked. I work through the lists until there's nothing left to do. Then there's that Excel spreadsheet that I maintain to keep track of actual 'Costs to date'. Knowing how much time I've invested is something that I don't keep track off, this is money saved and not paid to someone else. :eek:

3. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I got tired of looking at my car in"as was" condition, (Mexico sun-broiled), so I started working on the body. Sometimes I do what will have the most impact in the least time, like the hood top. Sometimes I do the hardest work (recently pulled, filled, sculpted most-procrastinated dent) so that it gets easier from there.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  4. scoop

scoop

I did this with chalkboard paint.

Early Ironman and Hemi Joel like this.
  5. With the stock cars, each car had a cup hook screwed into the roof above the windshield. We'd hang a clip board from it with paper with 2 columns, mandatory and wish list. The wish list side was rarely checked off.

X-cpe likes this.
  6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I used a lot of “to do” lists. As Joel mentioned, they can be a great way to gauge progress. I also kept a notebook with part numbers, wiring schematics and other relevant details for future reference.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. Just a white board (and a file full of receipts)
    20200315_133353.jpg

Hemi Joel likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

You can make all the list you want, they all cone to a halt whey you are out of project money. Bob

9. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That's when you need to make a new list. A list of ways to make extra money! :)

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

People joke about it but stamps are about the only things selling on eBay now. Like Wrigley and his chewing gum, got to make it on volume.

11. The memo app on my phone. Also copy links for parts that i need to order Screenshot_20200315-195425_Memo.jpg

12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I’ve used white boards, note books, etc.
    on my drivers, I tape a list in the windshield when I put them away for the winter.
    My son made me this painting that has the lower section painted with chalkboard paint. He free handed the 48 convertible. He was 9 when he made it for me. I love it.
    upload_2020-3-15_19-30-13.jpeg

caseywheels likes this.
  13. I tried a whiteboard, the Grand kids drew pictures, wrote messages to me, etc. on it. It then became art and had to be preserved. They were 6 and 8 at the time.. They're now 24 and 26 and I still have the whiteboard with the original artwork on it stashed in the rafters. I went back to dead reckoning and my less than perfect memory.

Early Ironman likes this.
  14. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have 3 white boards in my garage, one generally for my car, one for my son's car and another for stuff like weekend projects/house maintenance type stuff. When I'm on something building it, I only need a weekend's worth of stuff to do. I'll get some done, some not. I'll cross off what's done and add the next thing until there's no more room, then I'll take a picture, clean it all off and only write the un-done things.

I also keep receipts for my cars in binders, I can look back for part numbers when I need to buy a replacement part. I don't add up the totals.

Devin

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

List ? Hell no...I put "making a list" in the same category as "reading the instructions":mad:. Just ain't gonna happen. Probably a good idea but takes the challenge out of it. I prefer the chaos and confusion seat of the pants building method.:p:D

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I am going to say I could and sure need to a lot better. was far better at it 40 years ago than I am now and round to it seems to be a factor that hinders things. I was looking at 4x8 ft white board at Habitat the other day for what amounted to pocket change for what it was. I didn't have the truck that day and didn't get it but thought how nifty it would be for the under 20 buck asking price.
    I do have a smaller white board/cork bulletin board in the inside of the garage door to write notes on and need to mark down what I intend to do on a project and mark it off.

17. v8flat44

v8flat44

I have a long list, not enough $$$ and ....let's see, where is that list anyhoo
    no wonder i was never a manager....l o l

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I get out in the garage and use the time I would have pissed away on an Excel spreadsheet to actually accomplish something on my build or other shop related tasks.

When I want to remember something I write it down in a notebook on my bench.

Once I complete an item on my project it's usually pretty easy to move on to the next item without spread sheets or even notes.

The notes are most important when it comes to ordering or picking up parts and supplies.

The37Kid likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Using an Excel Spreadsheet is on my list of things I don't know how to do, along will all things !Phone related.

Bob

X-cpe likes this.
  20. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

-- TO DO LIST --

1 - Do something, even if it's wrong. - Practice makes perfect.
    2 - Repeat until you get it right. - One step forward, two back.
    3 - Get a second and third opinion. - Work is OK, but found out I'm stupid & ugly.:(

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Never seen you so no opinion re ugly or not, but judging by what you wrote you are not stupid.
    At lot of truth in 3 simple statements.

22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Buy car.
    Make white board list of items to do
    Run out of marker as the list is that long.
    Sell car.

23. Multiple lists in Excel.

I can sort it into any order I want, add things without having to rewrite it.

Works for me over the last 5 projects.

24. Aaron65

Aaron65
    from Michigan

I just keep a notebook with lists for each of the cars of what needs to be done. I have a Word document for maintenance on each, so when I finish a job, I add it to the repair log. I have 7 old cars now, and I found I was finally starting to forget when I last flushed the coolant, changed the oil, etc. on each.

25. fresh hops

fresh hops

I tape a sharpie on a string to the windshield or rear window. I put my burn down list of things needed to get done and I also use it to make a list of things I need to get, I have to write it down our I will forget it. I think oh crap I need this or I need to do that, having the list close to the location I'm working has been working for me for years.
    I also keep a notebook for each project when I have multiple pages of things to do or buy.

26. As hard as I go at it and cross off things on the list it seems to grow exponentially . Although a productive way to accomplish things and be organized sometimes the list is a pain to look at.

SR100 likes this.