Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Compressor oil level?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Mar 20, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

You might recall my inquiring about air compressors a week back or so. I found a replacement motor, have it installed and now a confession about the oil. I have no idea and never have had how to gauge and keep the proper level in it. I have just kept it visible when opening the port plug and called that good. This is a older 60 gal upright Campbell Hausfeld no sight glass or much of anything to gauge what is in the thing.:confused::eek::rolleyes:

2. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe search for a manual for it online? Then drain and refill to proper amount. Once done maybe you can fashion a dip stick for the future to check it.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  3. noboD

noboD

Contact the manufacturer with make and model number, maybe serial too. They will send you a manual.

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Agreed, should be able to find a manual.

Some of the old ones had a slot in the threads in the oil fill and you just made sure the oil was at the top of the slot.

flatford39 and 2OLD2FAST like this.

5. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How many years did it run with you monitoring and maintaining the oil level the way you have in the past? It was the drive motor that crapped out, not the compressor. I bet visible, up in the fill port is good. Here is a link to compressor oil at Home Depot....https://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-Hausfeld-Gallon-Compressor-Oil-ST126701AV
    I hope it works...the link that is and if it doesn't it is non detergent 30 weight....ISO 100 oil which is what I would have guessed
    Good luck there buddy

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. 34Larry

34Larry

Thanks guys for the advise, I'll follow it.

7. mine has a sight glass, but when the oil level is at the line in the sight glass the oil level is to the top of the visible port, looking into the fill plug hole.

8. kinda see in this photo. images.jpeg

9. walter

walter

I bought mine new and took it home and put oil in it and did't pay any attention to the directions on breaking it in. Turned it on and went to work. It never pumped very well. I used it for about 3 years and never checked the oil until it locked up. I put a new replacement compressor and actually read the instructions for oil and break in. Compressor works great and I watch the oil level as well as change it every year.

winduptoy and Bandit Billy like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Bet your wife doesn’t let you live that down . :D

walter and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the kind of stuff I never admit to! You're a better man than I Gunga Din!

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Make sure to use the correct (air compressor) oil for your unit.
    From my C/H manual, compressor was bought in late 80's.

20200321_141444.jpg 20200321_141717.jpg

13. ^ your low on oil.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And air too!

mgtstumpy likes this.
  15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy