Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Good rings and bearings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Since it's been about 10/11 years since I put an engine togther, what's good out there?

I used to use Hasting rings (cast) and FM bearings.

I know things change, this will be in a driver I don't want to tear down for another 20+ years.

Thanks

tractorguy likes this.
  2. Northern auto parts.

Budget36 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. 73RR

73RR

The engine will somewhat determine the brands of bearings available.
    FM is good stuff.
    Hastings make any ring you can want.

Budget36, Desoto291Hemi and tubman like this.
  4. I still like clevite bearings, and i use their cast rings that come in the kits standard. They're perfect circle

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I am getting ready to build the motor for my gto, and I see a lot of nos pontiac rings and bearing on the auction site very cheap for good brands

squirrel likes this.
  6. I buy a lot of hard engine parts from eBay. Rods, rings, bearings, etc. Can't go wrong with Clevite 77 stuff, Perfect Circle is great for piston parts. I usually get rings with a piston order.

bill gruendeman and Deuces like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Mahle rings ( they make the majority of the market)
    Enginetech ,clevite & king are all good bearings
    I'm guessing there are few manufacturers and many packages...

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What does the machinist that is doing the block prep recommend?

9. I second Lloyd’s answer of Northern Auto. All of the other brands mentioned are good too. I would avoid Engine Tech brand from Rock Auto. My son and I recently overhauled an O/T Ford V6 and I used Engine Tech. Never again. I’ve overhauled hundreds of engines, and had problems with installing the ET brand cam bearings. I got upset and was afraid it was something I was doing. Ordered a set of Speed Pro from Northern and they went in perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Budget36 likes this.
  10. southcross2631

southcross2631

I always had good luck with engine tech in the low buck dirt track engines that guys had me build.

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Well, I am the machinist. Had no ring groove, had my block tanked, I've ball honed the piss out of it and it looks real good. I had new cam bearing and core plugs put in, so just a standard bore 350 SBC, I've been out of the build game for quite awhile, that's he reason for my question.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Dang, I must be aging, forgot all about Clevite 77. No wait, I'm gonna blame my memory loss on the pandemic!

I'm fine:)

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Understood

Budget36 likes this.
  14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Not that it makes any difference ,I got my enginetech stuff from competition products ,4 sets without issue.....

Desoto291Hemi and Budget36 like this.
  15. jaracer

jaracer

A drag race friend told me years ago that Clevite 77 bearings are too hard and wear the crankshaft. That's all I ever ran in my race engines, but they all had forged cranks. I built a stock bore and stroke small block 400 with the stock cast crank (had it internally balanced). I ran it on and off and it was very strong, but I started running some USAC shows and they limited CID to 355. A year or two later I pulled out the 400 and was going to freshen it up which in general meant rings and rod bearings. I miked the crank and found the rod journals were out of round. Sold the short block to a drag racer, but I did tell him he needed to turn the crank. Maybe the original guy did know something.

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I can remember decades ago people talking about stay away from Clevite 77 products . I did and never had a problem. ;)

17. It’s possible that I just got some bad parts from Engine Tech. This was my first time using them. Thanks for the info from you guys that have had good experiences with them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. The bearings destroy the crank??? I'm gonna have to start all over. I'm a body man, glass man, and a fireman, but i didn't think the crank was supposed to touch the bearings? What's that whole clearance thing we check? So stop running oil, and use softer bearings. Gotcha. Damn i keep learning new shit everyday

kadillackid and saltracer219 like this.
  19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

At the risk of being dumped on ; as I understand it the " hardness" of the bearing materials refers to " imbedability" or the materials ability to " absorb" the normal trash that passes through the system , too soft and the trash wipes out the bearing , too soft and the trash wipes out the journal .......... This is pretty simplified but I hope understandable ....

20. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Perhaps this will help a little with deciding what type of bearings suit you.
    Bearings 1.jpg
    Bearings 2.jpg
    Bearings 3.jpg Bearings 4.jpg

tractorguy and Budget36 like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Here is some good information on rings.
    1 001.jpg

2 001.jpg

3 001.jpg

4 001.jpg

5 001.jpg

6 001.jpg
    7 001.jpg

Not the newest information available but some pretty good food for thought..........

tractorguy and Budget36 like this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

While no doubt up to date info ^^^^^when printed , if the info is more than a couple years old ,portions of it most likely has been updated . Best to talk with the manufacturer if possible !

24. Budget36

Budget36

For sure, based on my old bearings and what Clevite recommends, I'll call on Monday and get the scoop.

25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just noticed on the "sources" at the end of that ^^^^^^article , one contact number for perfect circle , mahle & clevite ....you never know who owns what anymore .....

73RR likes this.