Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Flamethrower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barrelnose pickup, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Would anyone out there have a disassembly procedure to suit the flamethrowers.
    There is setup info here on the Hamb but I couldn’t find the above, any info would be much appreciated,
    Cheers Chris

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

If it turn well you really really dont want to take it apart !!! We have buit a few of these over the years and charged $400 based on the difficulty in disassemble , you will bust some parts if ya never done one , small snap ings bearing retainer etc . never seen a manual covering this , turn good , clean with some brakeclean , install new napa points gap at .018 and run it !!!

2Hep, dana barlow, Elcohaulic and 7 others like this.
  3. Cheers for the reply Jim and I know you are the go to guy on distributors , I totally respect your advice but I am looking to reverse the rotation as it’s for a chev and I want to put it in a Cad motor.
    If I was in the States you would have the job but exchange rates and freight there and back make it out of the question for me from down here.
    I have read all the threads here and all the info on setting them up I can find ,I have an idea of what I’m up against and am clever enough to ask for advice before breaking anything hence the question.
    I have been working on hyd pumps,motors and valves for nearly 30 yrs so the nuts and bolts and the very small components side of it don’t worry me.
    Machining up a base is not a problem for the drive end , having done this to fit a Mallory into an A Model I have,a bit more to this drive but no worries , info on initial pulling down was all I was hoping for. All I’m stuck on is I removed the drive gear, undid the 2 nuts that hold the drive end to the body and removed it,leaving the shaft attached in the bob weight area, this is where I’m trying to work out how it is attached to the upper shaft? As you say, I don’t want to break anything.
    Someone on here may be able to help me.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    dana barlow likes this.
  4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Ok grasshopper ( showing my age, old tv show ) pay attention. The center bolt is held to the advanceplate and had a conical section on lower advance plate by friction. So if you hold the lower plate and smak ( lightly) the center bolt that goes thru the unit it will release the conical drive . I have the feeling you are way past this part and have damaged the weights, springs etc . Hoping this isnt true , you could allways send me a couple pics . To reverse the rotation you just need to carefully pry the cam off the upper shaft and turn it upside down and then replace the center bolt and advance plate on the bottom. I have both one from a ford the other from a chevy.
    OR you could source a new left handed bolt and drill and tap the lower plate reverse threads etc. I could sell you these parts i guess but shipping will kill ya .........Parts are $75

5. probably a worthless pic but I have this :confused:
    flame2.jpg

6. Thanks “Master”, I watched the same tv show, probably the same time you did! And not the later,wax on wax off version either.
    Seriously though,thanks for the info Jim, and previous to me pulling it apart,I felt the shaft from the bottom,turning it and it turns back and fourth more than I thought it should ,just didn’t feel right so I have a bad feeling it may have been already damaged.
    I will gently dismantle it and take some pics if this is the case and send them to you, also once we sort out what is needed I will pm you to get a cost of the parts needed and postage if that’s all good,small parts won’t be a killer, but the whole distributor would be a killer.

Thanks also Kadillackid, I have the last info posted but not the first bit, much appreciated.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Got it apart thanks to the advice and info given, Can’t be at work due to this climate we’re in so I decided to have a go at making the advance plate and reversing the bobweights, Happy with the outcome. E66810B0-A1E6-43E3-AAA6-AA352AEA0A51.jpeg 8E3E70B0-24E4-43C2-9BC6-B3137AAF21B2.jpeg FE8B11ED-FE77-470A-8F2C-1D057A581762.jpeg 5B099D83-5632-41D0-804E-5D5052D5E526.jpeg 58762B28-0207-4AC9-89D0-91F302DDA190.jpeg

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Great info on the flamethrower @Barrelnose pickup how are you turning the distributor body or shaft and great work on the plate.

9. Thanks, learning myself as I go.
    I machined down the OD of the housing(suited a Chev) and just made a sleeve the same major dimensions as the Cad, a couple of thou interference,heated it up and slipped it on. E67B2B9E-A137-4C04-B8DA-E49F31C600DD.jpeg A10F4609-3C42-449C-B90A-63621C2482C6.jpeg 15680B59-F440-46F1-8A93-AFB7BB7935F3.jpeg

kadillackid, Tman, 2Hep and 11 others like this.
  10. Fordors

Fordors

Nice work @Barrelnose pickup, somehow I get the impression you don’t buy crate engines either.

11. patsurf

patsurf

i remember when you were told 'it's a tough job' to take it apart.... kind of a waste of time telling YOU that-great looking job!

12. Thanks,but actual fact,without that key info from Jim I probably would of broken something.
    Without knowing someone you don’t know what their capabilities are,or aren’t!
    That was a trick of the trade I appreciated and needed so credit where it’s due.
    To me the rest is just copying stuff other people have done.

13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Awesome job on the cool old flamethrower @Barrelnose pickup they are hard to find here in the states..

Barrelnose pickup and loudbang like this.
  14. Well, clever enough to ask questions before I break stuff, dumb enough not to search deep enough for all the info on here!
    Just found a 9 year old thread on the subject that explains everything.
    Still,enjoying the journey and learning shitloads.

loudbang likes this.
  15. On a standard(as far as I know) distributor ,the lead going to the coil runs through a spring loaded carbon contact to fire the plugs, can anyone explain how this works in a Flamethrower as the coil lead terminals are air gapped as per the plug contacts on a standard distributor.
    Probably to do with the dual coil setup and the single point contacts on the rotor for the plug leads, but I am keen to learn this.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Post a link to the 9 year old thread please...……………………….

17. Got all the parts made, modified, sorted and cleaned, just got to drill the shaft for the Cad drive gear and drill the side of the adaptor to pick up oil to lube the bottom bush.
    Only damage was 2 very small circlips for the bobweights but I’ll get around that, happy with the outcome so far. EDB4F9C7-52F8-4BA0-BC56-B20D5FCB9A03.jpeg

2Hep, mgtstumpy, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  18. Very nice. Great work mate

19. Cheers. Getting there.

20. Just an update, got it all together and down to the ignition guys to do the final check and set, run like a dream on the distributor machine at least.
    The other post about motivation, things like getting this finished does it for me.
    F70EFC74-79BD-4300-A3DD-1532F089CB9F.jpeg 17CA9F97-81AC-4693-89C4-295AD3BB8C23.jpeg

21. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

When did spalding become grant ( or vice-versa ) ?? The one I bought in '67-68 was Grant ...
    You might consider some bushings for the advance pins/slots , decrease wear , friction ??

22. Early sixties I think I read somewhere they went from Spaulding to Grant.
    Early ones appear to have Spaulding in small letters around the edge of the lid, later ones have the large G in the middle with small Grant around the edge.
    Fair comment on the bushing but I have a couple now and the advance weight bores show no sign of wear and they appear to be well used so if it ain’t broken I’m not fixing it kind of thing, but something to be aware of thanks.

2Hep, kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Thanks for the info , memory is getting fuzzy .
    The older I get the more I subscribe to the " if it ain't broke" mantra !

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  24. Awesome job Barrelnose , looks great ! :cool:

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  25. Cheers, in the hole now. Was worth going through the process. Not rocket science. 5F8C0EE3-8C7F-438C-9E0A-D61B903BA45E.jpeg 2EACA260-6639-4C67-A5A5-489AA13161D4.jpeg

2Hep, mgtstumpy, kadillackid and 5 others like this.
  26. 2Hep

2Hep

KiWinUS and Barrelnose pickup like this.