Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Tudor or Twodoor ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Josh the Painter, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Interesting story and was wondering if anyone else has a memory on this. Pronunciation of Tudor. Everyone I know pronounces Tudor like the term for royalty, seems to be the modern taking. An old friend told me this is incorrect and the pronunciation is Tu-dor as in Two Door and when he was a boy it was shown that way in literature by having upper case letters to break the word up i.e TuDor.
    In original ford manuals and advertising I see we have Tudor ( two door) and Fordor ( four door) so I can see his story making sense and Ford chose an off beat spelling for advertising purposes that was perhaps misinterpreted over the years.
    Again just wondering others take on this?
    Cheers,
    Josh

2. Like you said"tudor 2...fordor 4.But only car people understand.

3. KenC

KenC

pronounced like the number of doors, not the English royal house. A Ford Marketing name to define a 2 door sedan.

Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

This Is The Tudor Family From King Henry Vll To Queen Elizabeth (1485-1603)...The Auto Is A Two Door... image.png

CME1 likes this.

5. It's a physical description of how many doors and is most correct to pronounce it that way regardless of advertising attempts to polish an economy, base model. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, though.
    I spell it '2-door', by the way. No confusion when I write it.

But things get a bit foggier when you have to pronounce 'coupe'. :confused:
    Do the Beach Boys have it right? Or does it rhyme with, "The wind took my toupee!" It's your car; your choice, I guess.

LOU WELLS and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Been tudor for me for the last 60 years, doubt I change.

7. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tooter.

Tman likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a Maserati parked in front of the office yesterday. My receptionist pointed it out and said it had a fancy Italian name on the rear deck lid. I asked her if it said quadraporte and she agreed. I told her not really fancy, means "4 door" in Italian. Henry called em that nearly a century ago.
    If you are going to pronounce it Coup-ay then you have to call 4 doors a saloon. Well, that's what I gather anyway from Jeremy Clarkson. Oh and don't call Corvettes "Zed Ott 6". I hate that!

9. Maybe Im biased but we would have a quattroporte in at work for repairs almost on a weekly basis. Seems to be lots in Brisbane. And apart from as you say, a fancy sounding name, I really find nothing special about them. Maserati makes a quality car dont get me wrong but I find most modern cars just... are, and dont have the personality of classic cars and rods. But I suppose the same people buying these cars arent looking at 28 roadsters or 32 coupes or 30s auburn boat tails or a 55 buick century and going wow, how cool is that! Im just wired differently.

Thank you for all the replies to clarify the pronunciation for me!
    Cheers,
    Josh

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Yes I agree, your car your choice. I just wanted the clarifiaction on what was originally intended. Even heard the argument it was Tudor and the royal theme was continued with the Crown Victoria. So people come up with some interesting interpretations.

As for coupe, if the beach boys pronounced it that way it must be right! You can not appreciate that song unless your a gear head.
    Cheers,
    Josh

1932tub likes this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Heck if I know, I drive a Picup.

12. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm in Boca Raton, literally "mouse mouth"

Beanscoot and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. I know Willys is correctly pronounced "will iss," but we always referred to it as a "will ease."

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would think that it has more to do with FORDOR as opposed to four door. Henry's last name, not the monarch.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Here you go....Tudor.... model-a-cutaway1.jpg

okiedokie likes this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Tudor and Fordor for describing Fords ONLY...as that was an official FoMoCo body designation.
    All those other "lesser makes", are 2-doors and 4-doors. :eek::D

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

And coincidentally Ford's 351 has the name of the current Royal House... Windsor.

Thank God those engines weren't designed in the year 1400, or we'd have 351 Plantagenets!

s55mercury66 and X38 like this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Paul Harvey said “coo pay” for coupe. Took me a while to figure out what he was talking about.

I listen to classic radio programs on Sirius XM. In many of them you hear the actors describing a car as a “coo pay”. These programs were broadcast and recorded in the 40’s and 50’s, so the pronunciation has changed over the years.
    By the way, everything else was described as a “see dan “. No mention of hardtops or station wagons, but I have heard the term “ jalopy” and “ hot rod” a time or two!

19. A Boner

A Boner

Weird Ford shit!

20. gatz

gatz

Don't know the movie, but in one of them, Humphrey Bogart called his car a COO PAY.

21. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Also known as a cdan by some.

22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That would be the correct way Tudor and for Fordor are names that Ford gave to those cars. Others would be 2 door of 4 door.

hotrodjack33, WB69 and 31Dodger like this.
  23. Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  24. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I prefer "coo-pay". I went too look at a 1940 coupe that was offered on a local radio "yard sale" program. Turned out to be an old shed a bunch of chickens were living in.

Kan Kustom and The Shift Wizard like this.
  25. brjnelson

brjnelson

Yes that is what I have read over the years, and believe to be true.

hotrodjack33 and winduptoy like this.
  26. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Always been 2 door and 4 door for me. But, I'm from the sticks. Creek or Crick?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  27. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Battree is what my grandad said for battery....he was a more door bow tie three on the tree kind of guy still have his '39 Chebby

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Note the spelling, Ford added front doors in 1912 Fore or forward doors. EVERY Touring car left the factory with a functional front door on the right, drivers side had a fixed fake door panel. They could be removed, pet peeve of mine is owners of 1912's that falsely claim the doors were "accessories". Bob DSCF5968.JPG DSCF5969.JPG

29. rusty valley

rusty valley

early on, a 2 door was a tudor sedan, and a 4 door was a coach. no such thing as a 4 door sedan

30. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

BA066407-DA4D-4518-9217-9627A49E97CA.jpeg
    My,’57 “Lesser Make”has always been 2dr. Sedan, when I referred to it.