Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Family Bonding...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Family Bonding...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hey JB,

What a great list of projects. Our teenage granddaughter and her cohorts have been doodling about with their Iphones making stop action movies on the tiny screen. They have been doing that for a couple of years. I am amazed that they made them on a 4 inch screen. Now, they have to complete their online high school classes first, then get to doing various things while "sheltering in place." With their massive computer skills, the online classses will go by fast, so everyday, they have plenty of time to do other projects.

It is unfortunate for all of the families to get the normal lives interrupted. For us older folks, we have been relatively "in place" since we were able to retire years ago. But, we are also now, "locked in place." I did go to a small hardware store for some light bulbs, but that was the extent of venturing outside.

Jnaki
    The one thing we noticed is the "eeery" quiet during the day and even at night. The I-5 freeway is usually buzzing with all of the commuters, day and night. But, these days, no one is venturing outside, unless they have some business. We used to hear some loud exhausts and gear shifting off in the distance, but those have come to a halt in the past several weeks, too.

We will have to be satisfied with those odd looking small screen Facetime contacts if we are desperate. For most, surprise Facetime calls may bring some laughable moments. Our granddaughter will use Facetime to keep in touch, but will text to warn us of the up coming video conference.

Stay safe and healthy...

3. Ron Funkhouser and tractorguy like this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time to break out the slot car set. Kid fun 60's style.

Ron Funkhouser and tractorguy like this.
  6. primed34

primed34

Taught my son the parts to a car by building the American Graffiti coupe and '55.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. We are going up in the Hills and enjoy nature.

Ron Funkhouser and Callmaker like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-21_4-37-59.png upload_2020-3-21_4-38-18.png “I am the Eggman…”
    The raw pattern (light blue is for stability, cut on that edge… the color is for examples only, you could recolor everything.)

(Disclaimer in these hectic times: If anyone is not liking the idea of using 12 good, edible eggs for such a silly fun thing to do like boil and then color for an Easter Egg Hunt, then substitute in place, those break apart, colorful plastic eggs. So no scramble egg breakfast would be harmed in the process, during these “locked in place” times of our history.)

Hello,

With all of us doing the appropriate “self isolate” as required by the local health pros, I decided to clean up an easy, fun project for our granddaughter. The last time we did egg coloring, there were a dozen eggs. (So, plan accordingly.) Easter egg coloring time is fast approaching all of us. This gives everyone at least 3 weeks to design, color, shape and get Mr. Eggman ready for one, two or many little kids home from school. With their computer skills the designs are endless for those young minds. For those that need help, you are also “locked in place” and can lead them to finish a fun project.

Since Last year’s Eggman has some serious design flaws and the design has been corrected for this year. The individual custom mag wheels on the bottom of the Eggman, last year, looked OK on the drawings. But in reality, the finished Eggman was only a band around the actual colored egg and squashed the wheels. Being on the bottom, it did not have the support to hold up the real colored boiled egg.

If you are making these for all of your Grandkids in another city, email the basic design and let the mom/pop help out at that end. If/when you finish your own custom design. The finished project can also be sent via email, so the Grandkids at the other end can assemble it themselves. Then send/text each other photos or use something like Skype or Facetime to see what is what.

This year, after extensive testing, the new design was proven to do the same with the way the mag wheels were on the bottom. So. The wheels were moved closer to the egg and horizontally drawn. When it was time to cut the whole project out, a white band was left attached all around. The white band from the photo paper gives the egg additional support and looks relatively neutral.

SAMPLES 2020
    upload_2020-3-21_4-40-5.png upload_2020-3-21_4-40-18.png

I started early this year, with different designs and patterns. This time, the egg was held in place and did not fall out. The key was using fairly stiff regular matte finish (or gloss) photographic paper. The photographic paper was stiff enough to print well, kept the colors bright, and when taped in the back, held the large egg quite well.

Jnaki
    Even though the Easter Egg Coloring Contest will not be happening with all of us, this project will have to do for this year. The times being what they are... At least, we can send photos of the finished project via email for continued "social distancing..."

After the drawings and edited photos are all on the computer ready for print, make the sizes varied. The large eggs are somewhat heavy and could plop over if not held together, well. I made the Mommy version and the Jjunior version. There are no real eggs in the smaller sizes, unless you get pigeon eggs. So, the little one could be for chocolate eggs of all sizes. Some chocolate eggs are ¾ to 1 inch in diameter. Those cool, Cadbury Eggs come to mind.

Since we are following the strict guidelines of the "stay at home" order, this project may give you some added things to do with your own kids. If you are making one or more for the kids or Grandkids that live elsewhere, once the blank pattern is made, that can be emailed to anyone, anywhere, for them to finish. Social distancing at it finest. Save your pattern design on a Word Document and copy, paste on the email or attach as a file and send…easy as 1-2-3.

Have fun and stay safe…

Mr. Eggman, Mrs. Egg, and little Eggbert... OR Eggberta…
    upload_2020-3-21_4-44-33.png
    The family that plays together, stays together…in 2020

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

At times like we are going through I am so thankful we have our daughter and her family to help us. Our Son In Law owns a food distribution company and due to the restrictions on restaurants, he's been selling food to their neighbors and friends. We have toilet paper, food and the love of our family. Its as good as it gets. Y'all stay safe, healthy and help each other. Just miss having our Grandson around. I could use his help on a couple of projects.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    Ron Funkhouser and olscrounger like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

PART TWO:
    upload_2020-4-8_4-17-10.png

Hello,

With all of us “locked in place” there will be times of “What can we do, now?” My wife and I have always been able to come up with something to do and have fun doing it for our son, back in those early days. For our granddaughter, it was a different ballgame. So, a little creativity was added in to have a good time doing little projects. This year, it maybe a Facetime family conference to make it feel like the good old days...

For this time of year, it has always been something to do with Easter Eggs and designing them. Chocolate ones are the best, but they disappear as fast as they were brought out. Maybe the Easter Bunny got hungry after taking them away from the Easter Chicken who laid the eggs, or cooked the chocolate ones.

For the past several years since our granddaughter was little, she always had egg coloring days at her house. We all sat around and colored boiled eggs, while making fancy designs. But, when it came to dry them, they had to roll around on a plate or back in the 12 space egg carton. We even used the enclosed rings. (far right, above) To me, it just did not look colorful enough for this happy egg coloring day and hunt. So, the colorful “Eggman” (or “Egggirl” to be politically correct) was designed to have more fun.
    upload_2020-4-8_4-18-6.png OR upload_2020-4-8_4-18-40.png
    “I AM THE EGGMAN”…GOO GOO GA JOOB!

Add your own drawings or photos resized to fit in the design. If you do not want to draw samples, then use a photo of family, own hot rod or colorful Easter colors in some flames or scallops. Once the design or photos are selected, then place them in their appropriate places of the Eggman pattern. The overall outside pattern is what should be used. The rest of the colors, designs, drawings, photos are your empty spaces. You may also use a sharpie or any other waterproof pens to print the names of ownership when they are in a row.

If your egg coloring day is with a small family, then make enough for everyone to have several “Eggman” holders. For a large family or a bunch of friends, start your photo paper printing now. You do have to cut out the top edges of the “Eggman” design, unless the “kids” get the scissors…
    upload_2020-4-8_4-19-52.png This version is the best cut out for the drying egg stability.

Jnaki

My original one had the wheels only to support the whole egg holder and it did not work as well. So, the pattern you see with the white edges will work and give the boiled, colored real eggs support while they are drying. (and for display…)
    upload_2020-4-8_4-21-14.png upload_2020-4-8_4-21-34.png A variation
    Good luck and have fun… YRMV !!!

It is not too late as you now have 4 days to get some designed and finished… The Easter Bunny says: “HOP to it, now!”

Waiting for a friend 2020 Eggman Chronicles

In this day and age, to be politically correct with a dozen fresh eggs for the families, a bag of plastic eggs could be substituted in the place of edible food. (Hard boiled or not.) The plastic eggs may have to be sprayed different colors then the kids can design them.

upload_2020-4-8_4-23-33.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  11. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Good stuff. Yesterday I was able to get my kid off the computer for a few minutes and into the garage to help me. I hope the few minutes we shared together in the garage meant as much to him as it does to me. Hope you all are safe and healthy, enjoy this time with those you love.