Register now to get rid of these ads!

New CKD...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Nov 30, 2005.

1. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

YES, BUT WHAT A THONG!!!!:eek: :D PBR??? I KNOW I WILL GET KICK OFF THIS FORUM FOR SAYIN IT BUT.... YEK... I JUST CANT BRING MYSELF TO DRINK IT.... AND IM A DRUNK!!!!AQUIRED TASTE I SUPPOSE.....

2. Model "Eh"

Model "Eh"
    from Denver

Well, if you could keep all the $.02 in here you could retire, but here's mine anyway:
    It seems to me that there are three (or maybe more?) kinds of rodders. The first type are the ones that go to Viva las Vegas or similar shows so that they can watch the music, wear their vintage clothes, and oh yeah, check out the cars. The second type are the ones who spend the entire weekend in the parking garage, bench racing and drinkin' beer with the other like-minded rodders; a lot of 'em don't even bother buying a pass to see the bands. The third type (like me) are so focused on building cars that they could give a shit about the public display and anyway, they spent all their dough on cars so they got nothing left over for vacation.
    I'm not trying to start a flame war or say that any "group" is "better" than any other. But to me personally, I don't get the whole "lifestyle" magazine thing simply because I don't give a shit about the music, clothes, etc. I mean, I LIKE rockabilly. I LIKE a cool belt buckle. But I LOVE hot rods so when I plunk down my bread I want to read about cars, not the other stuff.
    But, to each their own. I've never been a big magazine fan, period. I always have the new Rolls & Pleats because it's the heaviest on cars, page for page, and also because I like to support my friends (Jerry Desveaux).
    Nothing wrong with being "into the scene"; I just don't have the time.

3. fiftyfiveford

fiftyfiveford

I guess I'll agree with the majority too. Im not a huge fan of CKD, but I think like most people on the HAMB I am more about the cars than the Kulture, and CKR is 95% Kulture with a car pictorial. I'll be saving my pennies for Kustoms Illustrated.

4. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

after im done reading OSR on the shitter i wipe my ass with it.

"Thats how hardcore I am" !!!!

5. 1Shot-Scot

1Shot-Scot
    from Minnesota

One gripe I have with these magazines (CKD and OSR) is that there never seems to be enough good photos of cars when reporting on an event or even on the feature cars...

6. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Really? I never noticed ;)

7. richydab

richydab
    from UK

THE VIEW FROM THE UK:

I get most of 'em, from pocket mags like Rolls and Pleats and Kustoms Illustrated to CKD, OSR, R and C, Garage, Hot Rod and Rodders' Journal. I miss Mag-Neto a lot, as that's how I'd do a magazine (I speak from a bit of experience here), but all 'em fill a gap.

It's easy to knock a mag but with a small editorial team, you've got to find the cars, photograph them, write about them.... and that's before anything gets on the page! Then it has to be subbed, to either fit the page or keep the meaning, and looked at countless times from the first layout stage to the final proof. Believe me, being in the office at midnight on a Friday, when you've been there since 7am, and then facing a 200-mile journey home - I've done it!

Don't forget you're also answering the phone, dealing with contributors and planning future issues.

Yes, criticism is justified... but remember we do it because we love it!

8. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

I second that

9. repoman

repoman

Do any of these mags have titties? You know, like an Easyrider for hot rods? Does Easyrider even have titties anymore?

i'm all for titties. I'd read something like that, and at shows I would walk around with my Nikon offering to help broads get into the mag. "Wanna be in a magazine?...flash:D"

Where the titties at? Can a HAMBa' get a titty?