Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lemonade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 18, 2020.

1. catdad49

catdad49

This is a social site, right? There are more than 10 on here at most times, right? I Love being a Rule Breaker! You All stay safe, we Will get through this. Til the next time, Carp.

tractorguy and town sedan like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ever since I was a kid, breaking rules... and sometimes even laws... excited the hell out of me. I love doing my own thing regardless of the consequences... It leads to the best stories.

That is until those consequences effects someone else. That bothers me on a level I don't fully comprehend and even when I was a kid, I had no interest in doing that.

And really, that's what this sort of thing really challenges. You want to go to the beach and hang out with pals? Seems innocent enough, right? But doing so, risks so much more to so many others.

Fucking crazy time boys.

Sancho, grumpy65, Saxman and 11 others like this.
  3. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This information I am about to propose is mainly directed to Ryan, but this is good information to all across the nation. There is a great website known as " abandoned & little known airfields " look it up, its fascinating.
    air strip guide.JPG

OK so everybody is bored to death and wary of germs and viruses, I get that and I totally agree. If you have ever seen the cult film " fandango ", its worth a look, and there is a great following of fans that go to rattle snake airport each year to gather and just hang out at what was left over of the huge base.

So, people have hot rods and cars and trucks and what have you. Use the guide to find out where there is an old abandoned airstrip in your area, the more remote the better at avoiding crowds of people.

A lot of these places that you will see in the guide are huge and have runways that are great for just goofing around and running up and down the strip !

What ever groups of intrepid adventurers there are, that embrace this idea, it doesn't have to be a large gathering, 6 to 12 hot rodder's would be a great gathering, even if it was just 4 or 5 cars, its still great.

Logistics is the key, and good preparation, in other words, take what you need and be prepared to deal with what ever is the minor hassle that you may encounter. It gets the group out of the house, and when there are hot rods and old airstrips, there is the potential to have some fun. It never hurts to have fence mending tools and a block and tackle to re store tension in what ever fence that needed modifying.

Mind you, I am an old renegade that has always been liberal when it comes to adventure and having fun out in the middle of no where ( thanks to Alaska for that schooling ).

I am not suggesting anything illegal or of a trespassing nature, I figure that Ryan understands this and would concur. However, what you will find at a lot of these strips, is that nobody really cares about them and chances are, you wont be hassled by security or such, after all, right now the nation is all hunkered down at home wishing they had a place to go to have fun with out crowds.

These old strips are out there, and are waiting for you all to discover them.

Just a suggestion, not stealing Ryan's line, but that is a suggestion "from some old idiot here in Seattle "

Check out the website and do a little research for your adventure to some great old remote abandoned airstrip in your state or neck of the woods. Take everything you need and leave no trace that you were there, easier said than done.
    rose BED (2).jpg

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

LOVE it.

5. town sedan

town sedan

My sister teaches 1st grade in Alabama. She'd say you received proper "home training".

I stayed home today but not because of the bug. Pain kept me home. I wish work would close, along with everyone else, so we can kick this virus out of here. How do you other guys with disabilities do it?

Anyway back to the topic of Ryan's post. While a student at KU in the 80's one of my favorite stress relievers was to drive out past Topeka. Then head south through the Flint Hills. I don't know if it'd be a good idea during the spring burn off though. All the wood in some of our old cars, you know.
    -Dave

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We lost freedoms after 9-11.... I wonder how many we will loose this time.
    I wondering how quickly the National Guard will descend on are Saturday morning donut gathering telling a bunch of old Veterans to disperse. I for one will yell out to get back in your cars and just stay...no one is breaking any laws “parking” in a parking lot’:D.
    Maybe the next Saturday they will have 100+ tow trucks waiting at 5:00AM...

7. That's exactly what I thought, as long as I don't get out (I have to for gas every other week) we're fine and so is everyone else. I'm going to try it during the day this weekend......but traffic and people outside has SLIGHTLY slowed down around me.

It's all good as I'm socially distant normally.................:D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and jnaki like this.
  8. John Starr

John Starr

There's something brilliant about having a hobby like this that opens the door to a cruise like that in times like these. Not only would it be fun, but it would lift the spirits of spectators, give them some hope and calm. Put the word out. Call it the hot rod parade, wave flags, honk your horns, smile and wave. Do it!

9. silverdome

silverdome

Ryan I think it's a great idea to just get out and have a nice cruise. Everyone could take their own food and beverages and wouldn't hurt to have a buddy with a pickup towing a car trailer to tag along for a support vehicle. He could carry tools and extra gasoline for emergency purposes.

chryslerfan55 and town sedan like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no easy answers to this whole situation - even the officials at in top level of medicine and government are still trying to figure it out - again, we are lucky to have this site to "hang out together" - hard adjusting to something that we can not see or smell changing all of our lives - fear of the unknown causes some to be overly paranoid - common sense and taking one day at a time is about all we can do for now - as stated above, the worst thing would be that our own personal actions would unintentionally cause harm to another - one thing for me stuck at home is that publishers sure picked a bad time to shut down a whole bunch of car magazines - garage time

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’d thought of that as well. Seems I’m not alone!

like a huge chunk of the country and I can’t work from home, and the everyday walk in traffic... well you saw it. Ghost town.

I’m spending time with my kids and wife, and seeking shelter in the garage trying not to spend any money

12. Hmmmm... as an organizer of reliability runs, this is a pretty good idea. As long as there is no gathering outside the cars, we wouldn't be spreading anything, except exhasut fumes.

Junior Stock likes this.
  13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

In a weird dark way it could be considered a last hurrah , as instead of cowering waiting to become infected get out and enjoy some last time nobody knows who will get infected or how they will fair from it , but gas with your credit card and wipe your hands after touching anything exposure would be limited

Petejoe likes this.
  14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

This week already my wife and I have went on two long walks, 1 bicycle ride and two 37 coupe runs.
    It’s a good stress reliever.
    Get out there with your love ones guys and take advantage of it.
    It just may be some of our last good times.

grumpy65 likes this.
  15. The reliability run idea seems like a good one...but I could be biased...

Junior Stock likes this.
  16. as Robert Plant sang, Squeeze my Lemon ! That would be fun to do.. I'm fueled up !

17. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

We are here in the Bay Area, where local government has put us under a 'Shelter in Place' order, which is stricter than most of the US at this point. I'm hoping the local Drive In stays open so at least we could go see 'Onward' safely with the kids...
    Praying for all the best to my friends on the HAMB- Hang in there fellas!

18. Pretty normal here in flyover country. I want to be working on the GMC but have drywall work in the new addition. GF mandvi do plan on taking a drive in the Hills.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Personally I think it's a great time to cruise the South Pacific. On a sailboat.

chopped and Petejoe like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Funny enough, we are actually thinking of doing that... We are really just waiting to see what the kid's school does...

21. Flash Rush Hour Traffic Report
    From The Second Fastest Growing City In The United States

It's light Fords and intermittent Chevys with occasional Mitsuhonmazyota minivans. Don't leave early, you're going to get there. Expect some delays from non-stop road construction. Don't worry about mold and mildew, but the loops and bypasses are cropping up overnight like mushrooms.

22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I am going to use the time to get some stuff done in the shop.We are so far off the trail we have to pipe sunshine in on Saturday. ( Only if the UPS can deliver it- some times it can be Good to be in the middle of nowhere)I might even get some practice improving my tigging.
    MRish

23. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

Traffic here seems to be darned near normal, maybe the virus just hasn't hit here hard enough yet. (though we did get hit by quite an earthquake this morning!) I'm home most of the time anyway so nothing much changes, just not out shopping nearly as much. I just hope as this continues into car show season that they don't all get canceled. I think at least the smaller outdoor shows should go on, it's not like people are huddled together like at a stadium, I hardly get within 6 feet of another person most of the time at those shows.

24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I've been practicing social distancing for years.Not much changing for me. Those I choose to associate with will remain the same.

grumpy65 likes this.
  25. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well at least there won't be any mass shootings! Stay well and keep your hands dirty....with grease.

26. Things haven't changed all that much for me here in the Shenandoah valley. There's never that much traffic, and I can order from Wal- Mart and pickup with the hot rod. lol I told my dad and the family to stay in, and not to be around any other people. They're the only one's that I have any contact with myself. But I do drive the Hot Rods. I just pay at the pump, and use gloves. Maybe bring lunch. Since the cancellations of some of the shows that my friends, and I were planning on attending this spring. I'm just gonna have a little garage party with a camp over, some root'n toot'n chilli, an bonfire etc. etc. But that all depends on how things are looking in May that is? Be smart, and stay safe everyone. Ron.... image0000001.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  27. Just learned the Pate Swap meet the end of April has been postponed until Oct.....was hoping we could get it cleared to go but. As for my job - I'm in the service business and trying to keep my customers going as they are the ones being needed to serve the public....my weekend rotation is this weekend.....wagons go !

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Chicken Little is full of shit,,,,THE SKY IS NOT FALLING wake up everyone

chryslerfan55 and Junior Stock like this.
  29. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Off time? Some of us are still working. Don’t know how much longer it will last, the dry box and reefer guys have plenty to haul, med supplies, food, etc. Us flatbedders are still hauling, but it’s anybody’s guess who stays open and who closes. My main shipper has closed the break rooms and restrooms to us drivers, at least they have portapotties. I carry a camper potty, so it doesn’t affect me. They have also made us use a rubber glove to use the electro pen to sign our bills with.

The sit down restaurant I usually eat in is still open, just fewer customers. It and a Subway and a McDonald’s are the only places I can eat on my route, Subway and Mickey D’s have closed their dining rooms, take out only. Most places I see are that way, drive through only. Impossible to do that with a semi truck!

Traffic in Nashville TN yesterday was about like a post office holiday in summer when schools are out. Still a lot of folks on the roads. You’d be amazed at the northern state tags I see going south to the beaches! KY, Ohio,MI, even saw a few Canada tags!

Only time I’m out of the truck is to unload, load, eat and fuel. I use a finger condom, one finger off a rubber glove, to punch in my info on the fuel pump, then throw it away. Use leather gloves to fuel with and everything else.

When or if they shut down us truckers, then you can get REALLY worried! Until then, we’ll still be the under appreciated unknown people keeping the fabric of the country tied together until things normalize again. Without trucks, America will truly stop.

Be safe everyone!

alanp561, grumpy65, embyman68 and 6 others like this.
  30. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

"As governors impose restrictions to curb coronavirus outbreak, Texas stays out of it

Mayors are shuttering bars, governors are closing schools and President Trump says people should avoid groups larger than 10. Rapidly across the U.S., the coronavirus pandemic is thrusting leaders at every level into hard decisions about where people can go, and how many at a time. But not Texas Gov. Greg Abbott."

Texas needs to take this seriously!

chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.