Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hotrod/Custom Shadows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stogy, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Ron Funkhouser and loudbang like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-6_4-10-38.png
    Hello,

My wife has been taking photos off and on for many years. Her skills were developed with the 35mm Asahi Pentax and Honeywell Pentax film cameras. She got to know the f-stops, metering, film speed, and variations with all of those things for a good shot.
    upload_2020-2-6_4-11-17.png
    The Asahi Pentax and Honeywell Pentax are the same camera. Imported versions that were sold in the USA camera shops are Honeywell Corporation trademarked. I was given this Asahi Pentax Camera from our uncle as a gift, a year before the same camera was sold in the USA as a Honeywell version.
    upload_2020-2-6_4-11-50.png
    Patience was mandatory for just the right shot in the right time zone. Sometimes you hit it on the nose and it is good other times, it is lucky to have something come up at all. (and it usually took a week to get the color slides or prints back from the developer.)

So, what does a somewhat, experienced photographer from back in the old days do when she and her sister are out looking at old 40s-50s- homes? Why stopping for photos at the myriad of hot rods and customs lining the street. The shot if the 1955 mild custom Chevy straight out of the late 50s and early 60s was centered, the focus was spot on, and the color came out perfectly, shadows included. A 35mm film camera it was not, but an Iphone.

Jnaki

Since the evolution of the small portable phones with cameras, the photography scene has changed drastically. Before, the size of the small 35mm film cameras were handy vs the large 4x5 Graflex Press Cameras. As the 35mm cameras were used more often, they became the large guy on the block. As cameras got smaller, in the pocket size 35mm film cameras, that also changed the scene. No more Kodak box cameras.

Finally, the digital age came and with that, the same steps. 35mm film size digital cameras, pocket size digital cameras and finally phone cameras. Jump up a few years and now the phone cameras have almost as much clarity at the larger digital cameras. The phone cameras have changed how society looks at the world. It it getting to the point of cameras following anyone at anytime. Do something, it gets recorded… maybe not as high quality as the larger format digital cameras, but it is getting close.

Phone cameras are here to stay. They serve a purpose for most people other than games or actual phone calls. If one is not conscious of the weather or specifically the sun, the photo can be different on other weather days. But, there is no getting around shadows, they come out at any time, but are high powered in the bright noon sun.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @jnaki for your perspective on the evolution in the way we take pics...I look at cameras in the same boat as magazines these days...perhaps not as huge an issue going the way of the Dodo bird but I believe definately threatened with the Flat/Tabletized point and shoot times we live in now...there is no doubt a pinch being felt...

Thanks for sharing your wife's capture...again capturing the ever changing often underappreciated Shadow...Love it...I mean you could visually identify the Make and Year of the subjects just by the definition in that darkened detail...​

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tumblr_nk5yzqpLMV1rsf43jo1_1280.png

:rolleyes:...Shop Shadow Drama...part of the Ambience of the moment indeed....

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Ron Funkhouser, loudbang and D type like this.
  5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

6. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How bout all shadow compressed to a razor-thin line? DCADA40B-DE27-41F1-8AA8-19A0220C2AEA.jpeg SPD/WK/‘11 Credit to the Builder/Driver

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...just fine it is and that Surreal Land where such Vintage Greatness has been...now @Shutter Speed, to a graphic artist that's a very artist friendly shadow to add to an Artwork. That is the Art of Perspective Shadow at work...a few degrees more and it would disappear into a wavy heat collage...

@seb fontana...the Dawn or Dusk a Beautiful time for Dramatic Shadows referred sometimes the Longs...I'm thinking of a Vintage Race Crosley right now that had cartoon eyes for lights but it was all business...

NL5.jpg

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/check-heirloom-model-t-tub-january-2018-issue-hot-rod-deluxe/

:rolleyes:...this shot of the Hynes Tub was captured by Robert Canaan many moons ago...a timeless Hotrod and still making it's mark...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-24_5-45-16.png
    Hello,

Photography with or without the “chance” elements of ground shadow overpowering the hot rod or custom, depends on the time of day, the type of day: overcast/sunny, etc. Most magazine photos were taken on sunny days to bring out the color in the hot rod’s paint job and accessories. But, one had to fight off the glare of the mid-day sun blurring some of the images. The low angles were better than top down shots due to the lighting interference.

If the time of day is right on the money, the shadow from the sun falls directly under and does not take anything away from the hot rod/custom in the photo. (Despite shooting many angles of the specified hot rod.)
    upload_2020-2-24_5-46-12.png
    Jnaki

It just takes time and patience for just the right shot. It can even be done with the modern day, digital cameras. But, it is up to the photographer to get the priorities correct for good outside photos. Composition is all about timing and patience. Digital cameras allow a person to take a zillion photos within a few seconds. But only one will be the right, or not. It still takes composition and timing for the right shot.

In the old 35mm film days, Ektachrome slides were expensive to develop and print. So, one had to be selective as to the composition, since we were taking one stop up or down. Roll your own B/W film in your own cans was easy and less expensive, so there were always a million film cans available, vs. only a few new Ektachrome slide film cans.

REAL ESTATE: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
    PHOTOGRAPHY: COMPOSITON, COMPOSITION, COMPOSITION…

Although there is some truth to the location aspect in photography. If a tree is growing out of your hot rod or someone else's, composition did not take place. If a shadow overpowers the object, move around for a different angle to lessen the effect and get your good photo. So Cal offers a ton of places for good photos, as do other locations. But, it does not matter where the photo takes place, composition makes or breaks the action or scene. Shooting good photos still requires some thought as to the surroundings, despite the latest technique in digital photography to edit out the offending intrusion.

Ron Funkhouser and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pendine+Sands+Hot+Rod+Races1.jpg

:rolleyes:...Pendine Excellence...

putz, D type, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-11_4-22-35.png
    “Oh the shark, Babe, has such teeth, Dear, and he shows them, pearly white…”

Hello,

Buick designers had something going with the design of the “toothy grille.” The original design allowed Buick to stand out among the new cars rolling off of the assembly line from other factories. They kept the grille bars until 1955 in some form or other. The funny thing is, throughout all of the years of “toothy grilles,” it seems to me that we, as conscientious people, have made the same faces into our household mirrors in looking at our own teeth. (Straight, crooked, smirky, food caught in the grooves, etc.)

As I was trying to find a shop to do some minor metal shaping and design, I came across this 50’s Buick custom sedan sitting outside of the custom metal shop. The sun played havoc with photos, but the mild “frozen” paint job absorbed the sunlight quite well and left a unique shadow on the ground. The grille? It came right at you taking photos, along with the unique shadow.

Jnaki

A 1950’s custom style car, from So Cal custom car builders, still cruises around the neighborhoods in the modern times.

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kassa-Coupe-1935don.jpg

:rolleyes:...A Stunning Hotrod with many faces...This dramatic pic laced with moodiness is from Hamber @1935Ron's Album and I believe he may actually be the owner of this stunning Hotrod 'The Andy Kassa Coupe'

chromelady and loudbang like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

027348737214b89f2ce9c686e19a4e5f.jpg

:rolleyes:...Hamber @Chris's stunning 34 Roadster...it's interesting the shadow intermingling with the Hotrod's shadow without covering it...just random outcomes that add drama to an already Cool Capture...I believe Hamber Bass is following closely with one of his many Hotrods...

Do you have a build thread on the 34 @Chris?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    putz likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

c67d4c0125e381d47b96fd150eae9415.jpg

:rolleyes:...Spokes really cast dramatic complimentary shadows...again it's not a planned situation it's just a potentially interesting element of Light and Hotrod/Custom...

Hamber @Chris's camerawork I believe...and where Chris goes Cool Hotrod is never far away...;)

chromelady likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  15. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Thanks Stogy! I really appreciate that! It's been a struggle at times but well worth it!!

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-3-20_4-31-21.png
    Hello,

In 1949, a TV show called “Time for Beany” came on theTV programming. We did not get to see it until we got our first TV around 1951-52. We called the show “Beany and Cecil.” Cecil, The Sea Sick Sea Serpent was the main spot for the laughter.
    upload_2020-3-20_4-32-28.png We made our own Cecil, The Seasick Sea Serpent puppets, and our mom tried to make the others. But, the serpent was the only one we really used and had hours of make believe fun. For some reason, it took me awhile (looking at details) after posting this photo that my wife took at a local neighborhood car show. Then, even the cool Chevy sedan did not get my first attention. Now, it is hard to look at the photo without laughing and starting the memory banks.

The black 1956 Chevy was pretty nice and the sun made all of the hot rods stand out quite well. Her photo expertise has gone from 35mm film cameras, to point and shoot film cameras, digital point and shoot cameras, and now down to her trusty Apple Iphone 8. (now, an 11) The resolution was still outstanding for a phone photo. Accidentally or on purpose, she captured a reflection of the next door 55 Chevy two toned sedan.

The last unusual thing was the appearance of “Cecil The Sea Sick Sea Serpent,” in front of the car. (A real custom shadow.)

Jnaki

With her successful photos on her old Iphone 8, she now has upgraded to a new Iphone 11. Resolution and the famous Apple screen make photos pretty good, for a phone.

Speaking of the “CECIL, The Sea Sick Sea Serpent” Chevrolets and the high noon sun play games with all those involved. Another CECIL shadow pops up on the same day with a 1955 Chevy front bumper.
    upload_2020-3-20_4-39-11.png
    Maybe those Chevrolet designers also watched "The Beany and Cecil Show" and created the bumper for just such a memory item when the sun came out. So, the next time you see a 1955-56 Chevy at any show, look for Cecil, The Seasick Sea Serpent.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Captures @jnaki and I was born in 1960 and I did spend time watching that show probably in rerun...The captured reflection in addition to serpent shadows is a nice bonus...What can you say it's still exciting to snap a pic as you may capture more than you expected...Thanks always for sharing...;)

jnaki likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Zibo_rp2.jpg

Hamber @zibo and 'The Chief'

Priceless pic...

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

D type likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

042.jpg

:rolleyes:...Stuart Hilborn's Racer with it's trademark look casting its Stealthy Shadow...priceless capture...

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

72920151_121806979227951_8045774248620326912_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...Dramatic Evening Shadows...Too Cool...

24. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-4-23_4-12-54.png
    Hello,

The Model A grille has always been "the one" for my brother and me. It might have to do with the Model A being the first car we bought together for our street legal/drag race build. Also, as for styling, the Model A grille was just right for the body style. Not as small as the earlier Model T Fords and not as big/bulky as the 32 grille. Like Goldilocks said in her series of exclamations… “it was just right…”

Tony Nancy is well known as a master craftsman, so obviously, his builds were always pristine. His red roadster had gone through some changes, but the see-through grille was one of the most unusual and trick set ups. When the zillion photos were taken over the years and for publications, one came through with an unusual look. One wants to immediately start singing “Oh lolli, lolli, lolli, lollipop, Lollipop.”
    Chordettes

"Lollipop is a pop song written by Julius Dixson and Beverly Ross in 1958. It was first recorded by the duo Ronald & Ruby—Ross herself was "Ruby"—and then covered more successfully by The Chordettes."

Jnaki

The other stand out, Model A grille was seen on Jack Chrisman’s maroon sedan in magazines and live, in person at the Lions Dragstrip Museum.
    upload_2020-4-23_4-14-43.png
    It is hard to get a shadow indoors, especially if shown on a black cloth covered stand for display purposes. (despite the bright overhead lights everywhere...)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See through Grille/Rad...only on a drag car...but yes a show Quality one at that...

I guess that's a plexi/lexan but the Floating Artwork is nicely positioned and sized making a pleasing addition to the racer...

The other one is a well known Hotrod too with that unforgettable array of Pinstriped Art on the Rad...you have certainly seen and captured the best of the best J...

Seeing through to the engine actually is possible with a radiator as well, however you have to have a Hoodless A with the right light and angle and voila right thru the 2-3" core there it is...

Shadows indoors...conditions are always a challenge especially when shadows are considered more nay than yay...

Well J those pics have me dreaming of a expanded collection of Hotrods again...:)

Thanks always for sharing...

loudbang and jnaki like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and Jalopy Joker like this.
  27. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

28. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

29. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65