Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How do we fund our builds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Almostdone, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, some of us are wanting to build our first car, others have one done, some have several, others have a series of cars in various stages of completeness. How do y’all fund your projects? For example, if more than one car do you build, sell to build another with a given loss, keep them all, etc? Can we assume those with one car just put the money up and built it?

I for one have always had an automotive interest passed down from my dad, but at 58 years old started my first hot rod. Maybe my last, but who knows. What’s your story?

Giddyup.

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  2. I spend a modest amount each year and do as much as I feel like doing myself. I have two model a’s and a 51 Ford coupe. I don’t buy and sell, but have had all of these for at least 25 years. I usually do work on one at a time for a couple years or more, getting whatever I don’t like changed. I spent six solid years on the A cabriolet and the last two on the 51. The CCPU needs a bunch of work and is currently not running. It will get attention after the 51 is back.

osage orange and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I just try to get by and do my own work. I have been collecting parts for decades but they never end up being body parts for whatever project I have . o_O:eek::D But vintage accessories can be used some of the time so it is not a wash. But I have been lately thinking I just want to keep my truck , keep a few little collections and just sell the rest of my stuff off .Too much stuff is just really bogging me down .

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

What are you working on ?

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My kid's inheritance.

When I was younger, I scrounged flea markets, junk shops, garage sales, etc. and resold whatever I could find to make a few bucks on for parts. It worked for me.

ClarkH, clem, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  6. I build cars for other people to make money to build my stuff, but I'm usually too busy to touch mine lol

Rickybop, scotty t, Xtrom and 3 others like this.
  7. Build & sell. HRP

8. Toqwik

Toqwik

When I start a build I buy everything I come across for said vehicle. Extras I immediately put up for sale at a high price, hoping to find someone working on the same car as me. I would much rather trade for what I need not caring if I come out on top or not, but getting what I need without any money from my pocket. Listing parts for sale, its unbelievable some of the hoards you’re will come across. Many people want to stay low key but once you meet them and gain their trust they can be a wealth of parts, knowledge, and Links to others with the same vehicle. You have to know how to talk to people. You go to look at parts, don’t go for the throat, talk about the projects they have and compliment their work. You get more flys with honey than vinegar.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Just Gary, chryslerfan55 and trollst like this.
  9. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Buying and selling cars, parts, tools, or anything else that I know is a deal and can make a buck on.
    Try to avoid using the money I make from my day job to support my hobby. Much of that goes away for retirement.
    I use a technique I call,
    “Reflecting on my future”
    In a nutshell, I think of myself being retired. Looking back at the decisions I have made up to that point. It helps keep my impulses in check.
    When I look back, I want to look back at myself making the decisions to retire comfortably.
    Not having regret that I spent so much money while I was younger on just stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray, chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Out of my frequently empty pockets.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I work. Buy a small amount at a time. Parted out a few cars a few years ago and sold on eBay, hard to sell anything on there anymore. Save up for larger purchases.

12. mickeyc

mickeyc

The last several years before I retired I gathered
    the majority of parts and various items I felt I would need to support the builds I had on hand. Traveling
    extensively about this lovely country of ours working
    over time (lots) in the nuclear power industry enabled me to fund these gleanings. Note- an avowed gear head
    should not be left alone far from adult supervision
    while flush with O.T. cash! I was able to acquire quite a bit of "stuff" while out on the road. I visited the Wilco
    Adapter folks in Oceano California. They fixed me up
    with a very nice set up to mate a G.M. standard trans
    to a vintage Hemi. Also The Old Ford Store in San Dimas as well as the So- Cal Speed Shop near by. I
    did get to shop at the Little Dearborn Vintage part
    operation in The Minneapolis St. Paul area ( now defunct). Also Jason Pall at Bear Metal Customs
    in Morrow Bay. All these folks and more treated me
    wonderfully and were more than happy to relieve me
    of my discretionary funds and send me on my merry way with a pick up full of goodies! Now it is mostly
    labor intensive and spending lesser amounts on logistical support items. I do have three projects while
    working on just one. I have come to the conclusion
    that I may very well have to liquidate one to fund
    the completion of another. At the moment this all
    seems rather trivial in comparison with the crisis we
    all are facing. I am glad to be able to sit here and divert
    my thoughts and anxieties if only for a few moments.
    I wish everyone good health and their families as well.

13. Crocodile

Crocodile

The truth? I run as hard as I can, until I am up against my "wall". Since I am a little cautious by nature, I am never overextended, but at the limits of my comfort level. When I want something and I am not at my self-imposed limits, I will pay too much at times. But I do this thing for me, not for a profit. And I do believe what my parents said years ago- "we only owe our kids a good upbringing, and the tools to be successful." So if I have something that is worth less than I have in it, and I enjoyed it, so what? It still has value (it may be upside down in terms of money spent, but will bring them money if I am gone), and will help my wife and/or kids in the future.
    I don't think they will save much of my stuff. It doesn't fit their personality so much.

Hnstray and firstinsteele like this.
  14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Hasn't been paying too well lately... Chris-Farley-Patrick-Swayze-made-SNL-history-when-played.jpg

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's me on the left.

flatheadpete likes this.
  16. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m building a ‘31 A highboy with a 60’s flavor. It’s my avatar. Grew up in a group of folks with 60s and 70s muscle cars, even mid 80s warmed over. Started going to Speed Week about 10? years ago and knew I had to build a hot rod. It’s coming along pretty well after 2 years, should be driving it this summer. Already entered it in the 2020 Hotrodarama late this summer (hope it’s still on!), so I have a hard deadline. ‘31 coupe, 348 tri power, 700R4, 9 inch with 4.11s. Added clandestine heat and AC, given my location in northern Oregon.

My dad and his buddies drag raced Ts and As at SoCal strips in the 50s, never lost the bug. That’s him with my ‘A rolling chassis.

Brothers have ‘64 and ‘65 Dart wagons that are street-able drag cars and a 454 ‘69 Camaro. And a Volt. I also have a Prius, but it has a pro-stock hood scoop.

At this point I don’t see building another hot rod, but my wife really likes COE trucks, so....

Thank everyone for chiming in thus far.

98405935-9011-47A3-AD65-DA0A51CFB30B.jpeg 0EF0CB4A-19B4-46E8-BA5C-79AA82093BEA.jpeg 8075E077-63BD-4BE2-B768-65721F1A80C1.jpeg

17. trollst

trollst

I'm an old guy, for forty years I worked OT, scrounged, borrowed, begged, traded, worked on others cars, did literally whatever it took to round up the cash. Never took a penny from the house, it is my hobby and finances itself, or, doesn't happen. Been a great time, has been very rewarding, made a lot of very good friends, I'd do it the same way again.

18. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have one drivable project.
    Pay as I go.
    Not in a rush.
    Enjoy the GO.

firstinsteele likes this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

I learned to wrench and weld early in life and by high school I was helping others build their hot rods for spending money or parts. Working regular jobs and doing side work funded the first few cars and I always tried to make at least a little profit on each. Doing the work myself made that easier. Eventually I was working and doing custom headers and chassis work after work. That helped me buy better tools and equipment and funded my hot rods.
    For most of my life money from my day job has always paid for the life responsibilities and savings and side work paid for hobby stuff. I have never and would never go into debt to build a hot rod or drag car. Even today, my hot rod account funds the hobby and family money is off limits. However the hot rod money is always available should we need it for the family. If I sell one the money goes back into the hot rod fund for more hot rod stuff.
    We all have different talents that we can exploit to make a little extra money, some people are hands-on, some are better at buying and selling stuff and some just work more/harder at their regular job. Either way, it’s that extra effort that allows us to enjoy the freedom to buy or build our dream cars (without a guilty conscience)

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Worked my ass off. 26hrs a day, 8 days a week. Stuck to a simple plan. One car at a time and only bought parts needed for that build. At this point in my life, my work week has gone from 26/8 to 0, and I can do and spend whatever the hell I want, but I still stick to that simple plan.

winduptoy, trollst and j hansen like this.
  21. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

I retired 10 years ago at 65. I fund my habit by doing upholstery jobs for others. My wife and I have accumulated and rebuilt 2 Model A's and a 47 Tudor over the last 8 years, all funded by side jobs. The only downside is it can be difficult to find time to do my own upholstery work. There is an incredible opportunity for those, of any age, willing and able to learn the upholstery trade.

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

23. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Seriously though, buy and sell cars, enjoy them and drive them, some stick around for a long time, others pave way for better things. I dont get rich but make a lil profit to roll over... Sell parts etc left over to supplement things also.

bob b. likes this.
  24. chrisp

chrisp

I build other people cars to finance mine, which leaves me with no time to build it, so I end up using the funds to restore my farmhouse. I have to rethink my plan because it is not very efficient to build a car...

woody45 likes this.
  25. I have deeper pockets that some... or did until the stock market tanked... I will hustle used parts to fund my builds. I see something I can double the price on, I'll gamble and buy it. I usually do okay.

bchctybob likes this.
  26. I taught myself how to screen print tshirts, bought some used equipment and started my own side hustle... I cam work as hard as I want as it is all extra cash. My wife (the account) hates it when I mess with the house budget by buying parts and things...
    The wife and I also do a few "upcycling" projects every year that have a pretty good profit margin
    Chappy

woody45 likes this.
  27. Early on, I worked on everyone else's cars so I could afford to build something for myself. A few years into playing with cars, I bought and sold quite a bit. Now, I just stay broke and don't really spend any money on my own junk...just my kids projects. And, I have had several buddies donate parts to those builds which has been nice. I need to do the same for some young guys, but haven't come in contact with many yet. I figure once my boys are driving their old vehicles, they will begin to have some friends that may want to do the same and parts can start to funnel there.

28. "Santa" funds a lot of my projects. Every year my wife's family writes Christmas lists, and mine is mainly car parts! I give them the link and part number and they just order it, most of the time not even knowing what it's for... 20191226_104710.jpg

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's me onthe right...except I'm 160lb soaking wet. And not a coke addict. But I'm funny. Good thing looks aren't everything.

30. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I plan, make a list and research. We waste money on a ton of stuff; plug the leaks. Decide what needs to be new and what can be used. Time is a finite commodity so it costs money to waste time too. I try buying new for little more than rebuilding to save time but sometimes unavoidable.

Some times little things come up and nickel and dime me to death.

Hemi Joel likes this.