Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Free 239 y block out of a f100 in a 55 fairlane

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by michael dunphy, Mar 17, 2020.

1. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

I was just given a running EBV 239 y block out of a f series truck! I have a 55 fairlane! When I bought the car some one took the 272 out of it and I want to go back with a yblock! This one was free! What changes if any do I need to do to make it work in my 55? Not looking to burn up the road just want the yblock look and sound! And like I said it's free

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Does your 239 have the crossover exhaust pipe? Also you might want to swap out the oil pan and pick up.

3. You will need a car timing cover, bellhousing (if manual transmission), front mount, exhaust manifolds, oil pan, and possibly water pump/fan set up.

flatford39 and 56 ford custom like this.
  4. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

[​IMG]yeah it has the cross over pipe! The oil pan is almost flat it looks to be only a couple inch drop! The oil pan is the issue! I've found one on eBay and it's like 400 bucks!

5. Yeah that tall fan won't work in your car, you need a car pump/fan. I think I have a car pan lawing around. You will need a rear sump. Be warned quite a few things about 239's are 239 only and will not interchange with later Y blocks

6. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

It sounds like even though it was free it's gonna cost big bucks to make work!

7. You can find a much cheaper pan then that!!

8. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

I have the trans and the bell from the original 272! I found a timing cover on eBay for 40 bucks! Now a water pump and a oil pan and sump?

9. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

Chris if you have a car pan would u be willing to part with it?

10. Sure, I will look and see what I have. I just scrapped a car timing cover

11. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

You can put a 292/312 front dress on the 239 and use a more available water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. I"m sure I have a timing cover and a pan and sump for a car if interested.Probably a used water pump you could rebuild

Oldmics

13. You can put lipstick on a pig...there's a reason there's not a lot of lover for the 239. I suggest selling it and put the money towards a 272 or 292 that actually came out of a '55-'56 Ford.

Oldmics likes this.