Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ==Vintage Cal-Neva Dry Lake & Drag Pics (early 50s)==

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Thanks Jimmy for sharing some rarely seen pics.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. amoland

amoland

Killer thread. Thanks for posting the pics!

Stogy likes this.
  3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of us slackers need a bump! Thanks (again), Jimmy. Great stuff.

Stogy likes this.
  4. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Been in the Reno area most of my life and never knew what went on at the dry lake I have passed by at least 100 times.....Cool shots and a nice history lesson.

Stogy likes this.
  5. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

W O W !!! Jimmy B is Lord of the Rings when it comes to black and white Dry Lake photos!

Keep em coming Buddy.

Bitchin archive, Thank You!!!

Stogy likes this.
  6. Babyearl

Babyearl

Jimmy B,,, you seem to always out do yourself. Many thanks.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Jimmy B.........You do such a good Job with the Old Photos....

Thank You .................... Ol Deuce

;):D:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

WOW

You must have been impressed by these photos, 2 1/2 years since you joined, and this was your first post.;):)

I gotta say this IS a most impressive thread, one that all dry lake racing fans need to check out.

I don't believe landracing.com has a section totally dedicated to historical photos - maybe they should start one, and these could go there as well ..... HHhhMMmmmm

Stogy likes this.
  9. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

great photos! I love the "ram air" tubing . . . my dad always had me turn my air cleaners to have the tube facing the front for the same reason :D

Stogy likes this.
  10. OLLIN

OLLIN

Jimmy You are the MAN!! these are awesome.

Anyone know what these tailights are?

Stogy likes this.
  11. 42-48 Ford tail lights

Stogy likes this.
  12. Fantastic phoyos Jimmy. Thanks for sharing them with the HAMB first.

Here's another CNTA plaque to add to the others shown.

Dennis

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  13. Lets bump this to the top,Jimmy B this thread is great and opening day at El Mirage is coming soon, so I keep checking all these pics out,thanks for posting.

Stogy likes this.
  14. snaptwo

snaptwo

Beautiful ! Search the HAMB ,you shall receive ! I was looking for pics of Hashims 27 T lakes car and hit the jackpot ! In talking to Ernie about the "T" ,he had sold it to "Yo-Yo" Spann who ran a gas station in Mojave . It was reported that "Yo-Yo" won more than his share of speed contests with that very "T" before moving to the Vegas area. The roadster changed hands several times , it's last owner totally redid it with a 327 chevy and chrome galore. I did get a ride in it ,cruising Fremont and manning the dash mounted pressure pump ,3-5 lbs as it didn't have a standard fuel pump n the "Flatty" incarnation. Thank you for posting that album !

Stogy, Jet96 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

BTT!

Stogy likes this.
  16. Dick King roadster

king-side-01.jpg

17. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

Fred Zaft (002).jpg
    The channeled 5 window belonged to Fred Zaft San Francisco Ramblers.
    Here is what Rudy Perez wrote "Just remembered how Fred channeled his 5-wdo...Ever hear of this... Body on frame, he decided where he was gonna chop the frame off to fit inside the trunk... Lifted the body off...Drilled thru the upper frame body bolt holes down, and drilled new body bolt holes in the lower rail...Took the firewall out...
    Tilted the frame 45*degrees and shoved it into the body...The body got bolted to the lower frame rails...They all lined up...He cut the firewall at the crease, chop'd it down to the step board and welded...Look'd stock but minus 5"inches...
    He sold it to a guy live'n near the Cow Palace, and I never saw it again"
    It would be nice if your coupe used to belong to Fred Zaft.

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and Jet96 like this.
  18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I paid $75 for mine, it had no floor. It had been running as an Altered with a Y block in it. I guess it is not the same car. I did own Rudy Mortonson's old roadster, which had been the Ramblers car when run as the Valley Auto Parts car. Car is in New Zealand now. fir sale.jpg

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and Jet96 like this.
  19. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

So many cars just vanished without a trace. Thank you fro replying and thank you for sharing the information about the Rudy Mortonson's Roadster you owned.

Stogy likes this.
  20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought the coup in the city in 65. At the time it was channeled below the bottom of the
    frame/ I had to raise it up to even with the frame. The deck lid was punched full of louvers and the top of the hood also but with the openings facing forward. There was a 55 Ford type tube crossmember welded in the frame to mount the Y block. The guy I bought it from also worked in the UAL machine shop and was leaving to work for Boeing on the new 727, I sold it in 98 when I left UAL to a younger guy who worked in the machine shop. Last time I saw it was about 10 years ago in Redwood City. It was unchanged from how I sold it except for the SBC and 'glide. This picture is in 78. 05_2421.JPG

Stogy, Jalopy Joker, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  21. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Stogy likes this.
  22. posted on a thread - My Uncle's Stuff.......here with his roadster...... on the lakes.jpg

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and lurker mick like this.
  23. This program is from the meet of Oct. 1950.....I posted it over in My Uncle's stuff thread.....should I post it here ? rod dust 1.jpg

Stogy, Jalopy Joker and lurker mick like this.
  24. Please post away, the more Cal-Neva items the better...

Stogy likes this.
  25. Ok....that G.Winfield with the top time...is Gene....there's a pic of his car....will find and post later.....

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back up and a nod to @Jimmy B for his handle on the good ole days...both in collecting and sharing the history...

Another shout out to the others sharing their connections to this past greatness...and to those that have left us...

BrerHair likes this.