Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electronic Ignition?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Yesterday I put the electronic ignition in the Plymouth{318 motor} All it will do is burp, fart and back fire. Sounds like a timing issue. I pulled #1 spark plug and brought it up to the compression stroke and the rotor was pointing to# 1 in the dist. cap. I am pretty sure I have the wires on right according to Goggle.It almost wants to start but wont any ideas? You all have a good week end. Bruce.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Sounds like whatever was the problem with the ignition system, it wasn't the points that were to blame.

But anyways...what are ALL the details, so we won't have to go hunting for them?

3. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

If you are using the Chrysler system that came on the early 1980's 318, You need to have a good ground to the control module box. Use one of the mounting bolts as a connection point. Make sure there is no paint compromising the connection

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a Pertronix in an SBC I had in a boat about 30 years ago. Since I didn't have to remove the distributor, I just put it back together and tried to start it. It turned about half a turn, backfired, drew water back up through the exhaust system, hydro-locked the engine, and broke a brand new roller rocker. This started an intense 30 year dislike of electronic ignition systems. With my editorial out of the way, I will say the electronic module can produce a spark at a different point in the compression cycle than the the points did. Sometimes, different enough to cause real problems.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I ran a Pertonix unit in my daily driver from shortly after buying the car to its selling, 12 years and 93,000+ miles later..! Cleaned the cap and rotor a coupla times, replaced the cap and rotor a coupla times.
    Not a lick of trouble.

Don't know anything about the Chrysler parts...except that they ran in MANY cars without problem.

Mike

6. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

My thought would be that if the cap is wired in the correct firing order you probably have it on the exhaust stroke which would put the dist. 180 degrees out. Chrysler LA motors are either in time or 180 out if wired correctly and you have not removed the oil pump drive and put it back in in a different location.

pitman, Bruce Fischer and oldiron 440 like this.
  7. KenC

KenC

Or, the rotation is wrong, right order but wrong direction.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

Without knowing exactly what electronic ignition it is, how it's wired, other things about the condition of the engine, etc all we can do is guess.

Is it a distributor that requires an amplifier? does it have an amplifier? How is it wired?

9. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I have seen problems with msd ignition when you have the pick up wires crossed. I haven't ran a Chrysler box in 25 + years. I use the Chrysler distributor with a 6AL or 7AL.

Elcohaulic and Bruce Fischer like this.
  10. I don’t understand not troubleshooting the problem to start with. However the Chrysler system works very well, as squirrel has said we have no idea what it is or what has been done.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. Like squirrel said.

year of engine
    Year of distributor used
    Was it a lean burn system that was modified?
    Correct firing order? I don’t know but did Chrysler use different firing orders like ford did?
    How’s it wired up?
    Pics?
    Pics are good

sorry man, but questions need answers !

4705CD18-48B0-4CF9-9D1F-31E7F54AFEFE.gif

chryslerfan55 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Ill go back a bit ,Didn't you have a prob with the ign switch , I would start there with a meter in hand.

Bruce Fischer and squirrel like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Do you have the right coil? Electronic and points coils are sometimes different. I was chasing a problem with mine and finally figured out I had the wrong coil, I felt like an idiot.

Bruce Fischer and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  14. something is wrong
    Best I can do

15. Sometimes (more often than not) you drop 'em in 180 out.

Something else to consider is that it is easy to cross the 5 and 7 wires. please do not make me tell you why I know this. :oops::oops::oops::D

16. I could be wrong,,,,and I have been wrong many times before,,,but,,,,usually burp, fart and backfire equals 180 out .
    If in doubt,,,pull the left valve cover to be certain.
    Yes,,,,Mopar small block,,,,clockwise rotation,,,,18436572 .
    Usually,,,electronic is fire or no fire,,,so at least the vulgar sounds the engine is making gives hope .
    Go back to basics,,,think this out .
    Make certain it’s on TDC fire stroke.
    Install distributor with rotor aiming at number one wire position.
    Turn distributor about a quarter inch or so counterclockwise to give a little advance.
    Double check all wire locations on cap and also to plug positions,,trace them down with eyes on .
    Now,,,,,it should fire,,,,if it doesn’t,,,you’ve got something else wrong .

Tommy

SEAAIRE354 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  17. Slopok

Slopok

Looks like he's MIA again!;)

18. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Might be out there trying all the suggestions.

19. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

One thing I didn't suggest was make sure to turn the key off. I am 60 now, when I was 18 I put rings and rod bearings in a old Cuda I had with a 273. Got it all buttoned up and no start. It was 180 out, it was flooded somewhat and I pulled the dist. up and when I turned it and the points sparked it blew a fireball up out the dist hole and burned all my hair off. It is one thing I have always remembered, Turn the key off

20. You there Bruce?

21. Rick, there is no control module box its a lot early than that.Thanks though. Bruce.

mad mikey likes this.
  22. TA DAD sounds like a plan.Thanks Bruce.

mad mikey likes this.
  23. Vandenplas as most of you know I post pictures but with this new computer we are trying to find out how to post them yet? LOL.Bruce.

mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. Harpo, nawww that turn out to be all good.Thanks though.Bruce.

mad mikey likes this.
  25. BamaMav, it said I could use the same coil I thing I got the wires on wrong or the dist is out 180 degrees.Thanks Bruce.

mad mikey likes this.
  26. Beaner the same reason as me! LOL.Bruce.

porknbeaner and mad mikey like this.
  27. Slopok , naww just had to got to pull a part and get a A.B.S. part for the 98 Dodge 4x4 Hard to find them new.$145. to get them rebuilt. Found 1 for $30., put it in and the code disappeared. Will try and work on the Plymouth some time during the week with work and all.Now busy all the time {as I get older}I am only on the computer once a day now.I will get her running with your guys help. This year I am going to the car shows with it not working on one like in the past. Thanks Bruce.

28. This evening I am.LOL.Bruce.

mad mikey likes this.
  29. WHOA!!!!!!

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve had a Pertronix ll for 7 years but I remember the timing was way off during initial start up. I’m sure it had something to do with the placement of the electronics inside. I did not remove the distributor to install it. It has never changed.