Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods modified 4-Bangers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 banger john, Mar 15, 2020.

1. 4 banger john

4 banger john

I posted an introduction to myself in the past 15 minutes as a first post on HAMB and my comments did not show up as I expected. So let me try again.

I am interested in four cylinder Fords with overhead valve heads, push rod style and overhead cam style. I have several hot rods, one with a Dan Price Cragar head. I am seeking information right now on Depression-era Miller/Schofield/Cragar twin-cam heads for A and B 4-bangers.

Thanks in advance.
    4 banger john

VANDENPLAS and dudley32 like this.
  2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

john, you'll want to check out the banger thread.

3. dudley32

dudley32

4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Welcome, I also hang out there. Check out the list at the begining of each meet. 20200115_140058.jpg

6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20171111_145837577.jpg
    5% grade at 7000' elevation with two of us in the car with all our crap in the trunk...A Schofield banger conversion in my '29 Roadster. Currently have another B block that is at the machine shop being sleeved... it is going to get a Roof F head.
    Want to hear about your Price head. Have an acquaintance that is starting the process on the engine build.

edfueler likes this.
  7. v8flat44

v8flat44

Now them thar 2 bangers are A W S O M E ! i'm gett'n hooked on em.....

winduptoy likes this.
  8. mdimages

mdimages

these are awesome!

winduptoy likes this.
  9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

111210B9-CC54-4301-AF49-3E20BF52F9B2.jpeg

60 HP at the rear wheels

cfmvw, Boden, tractorguy and 2 others like this.
  10. You should add your general location to your profile. You can never tell when it is going to pay off.

Charlie Stephens

11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Welcome! I like bangers too!. Here's a pic of my Model A Engine and my Riley for a later date![​IMG][​IMG]

Stovebolt, dwollam and winduptoy like this.
  12. mdimages

mdimages

Nice cars!

winduptoy likes this.
  13. 4 banger john

4 banger john

The Dan Price head is well described on his web site. Notably, it uses 2:1 rocker arms, a Chevrolet small block style combustion chamber, four port cross flow design (by Dan) that he claims was CRAGAR inspired. He claims it was designed as a clean sheet of paper approach after he had produced an F-head design. He must have made his own patterns for casting. It is unusual in its inlet port style and its proprietary intake manifold. Only dual carbs can be run; I am using Stromberg 81s and I have been doing jetting tests while driving a local roads circuit. It is proving a bit frustrating, perhaps because the Strombergs are so rudimentary. The idle screws are active far beyond idle and the main jets become active almost as soon as the butterflies are cracked open. The head is designed only for road driving and not for racing because of modest valve spring pressures. I have 5 bearings supporting my cam, but he was aiming at the stock 3-bearing cam blocks. The cam grind being used is very modest and from 20 mph to 50 mph there is gratifying grunt exhibited. I am not unhappy with the head except I would like to have a single-carb intake manifold for better tune-ability. For this reason if I knew then what I know now I would have selected a Steve Serr Miller Hi-Speed head.

winduptoy and edfueler like this.
  14. pkhammer

pkhammer

Thought I'd bring this back to the top. I've always been interested in building a model A banger. I have a V8-60 but I've been told the banger is actually the better choice. I'd like to hear opinions on using insert bearings vs. babbitt, counterweighted cranks, overhead valve heads vs. valve in block and carburetion choices.
    I just bought a model A parts collection that includes a freshly babbitted block, stock turned crank and stock valves needing finished. Might be a good starting point. Add a B cam, High compression head, downdraft manifold with a 97.........

winduptoy and jim32 like this.
  15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@pkhammer Bangers are fun, especially when hopped up.
    I have a Riley flathead B banger that makes 67 HP to the rear wheels and it's maximum torque of 134 lbs/ft happens around 2400 rpm. That is respectable for a flathead banger and beats your V8 60.
    Your fresh babbitt block is a good candidate for a hop up. If you know the story on the babbitt you have there is a difference between original Henry babbitt that had lots of lead content for fast burn in. The modern can be more robust if it is the right stuff. Don't go the expense of inserts until you get the banger infection. B cam is a good grind and will help over an A cam. Specialty makes cams that places like Burt's has for sale. The more lift, the better the flathead seems to breathe and perform. Brierley makes a pretty good performing head but it is sensitive to timing.
    I believe there is still a Lion III head in the classifieds. I am real happy with one I have on an A motor with a 7:1 compression ratio. Compression helps to a point on a flathead and 6:5 to one is really all you want to go on babbitt in my opinion.
    A 97 might be a little too much carb but could be jetted down and power valve blocked. Setting it up with an AFR will help determine where you need to go. If you have the 81 off the V8 60, there is a good carb for the downdraft application.
    Check out the banger meet and casually introduce yourself and see what you get for feedback....
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...d-lil-saint-nick.1213373/page-4#post-13858383

pkhammer likes this.
  16. pkhammer

pkhammer

@winduptoy Thanks for the reply and tips. I have long been a Model A enthusiast and have owned several, I just never got around to hopping one up. It seems the older I get the more interest and respect I have for the original stuff but I still have some hot-rodder in me that can't leave stuff alone. When (not if) I purchase my next A I definitely want to do the hop up to the engine, add juice brakes and maybe even a full syncro trans. No, it won't be fast like having V8 power would, but I think for me it'd be a lot of fun and very satisfying. I already have a set of '35 16" wheels for it and getting this fresh engine is just another piece of the puzzle.

winduptoy likes this.