Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Eds Rod Shop Germany.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by edwardlloyd, Mar 14, 2020.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

After 14 years of rod building I've decided to call it a day and shut my shop. It was a hard decision to make as it was the love of my life. But I realised I'd never get the opportunity to build anything to top the Roy Desbrow pickup and I'm not getting any younger.
    To top it off, my wife of over 20 years decided to leave me at the same time. Actually, she asked me to leave her, so I had to walk away from the the houses I'd built, my children and my rod shop, so not a great start to the year.

But its when you're at your lowest, that you find out who your true friends are. A customer of mine, Harald Busch, from Twinbusch Germany heard of my plight and offered me a job. So now I'm back in England, running the UK Twinbusch branch selling car lifts and workshop equipment. It wasn't how I'd planned my life, but I'm damned if I'm going to get depressed about it. Starting over at 51 means you've got to hit the ground running.

Ed Lloyd.
    Builder of:
    The Roy Desbrow
    The Babushka
    The FiesTa
    And many more. 20200124_191658.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Tough deal, but your young and there's better things down the road.

3. Way to get back up swinging.

JimNNN, Texas57, Dino 64 and 2 others like this.
  4. Good Luck with your new life! Your posts about the stuff you're building were always top-notch.
    I hope you will find time to build something for yourself and show it here.

5. Wish you the best....... Hang in there.

nunattax, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hope the next 50 goes better, & easier.
    What is it "they" say? Living well is the best revenge? :) .
    Marcus...

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch...in a major way...You are a Master of the craft, that I know...The Door is always open here and I hope you have a Hotrod to start and hop into for a ride into the fresh air to forget about life's less pleasurable moments...All the best to you in the future Edward and I look forward to your continued sharing of anything Hamb related in the future...

I admire your spirit in this most unfortunate of times...

8. sneakypete1956

sneakypete1956

hi ed we have sure hard times with them females .in the uk girls are different iam sure otherwise you did,nt stick around .and there are super nice hot rods in the uk as well germany can never top those so look at this spring as a great one .all the best from the netherlands me too are at it with a new start same deal brother.

9. belair

belair

All the best, truly sorry for you losses. Lean into it, and let yourself heal.

10. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Sorry to hear that, but glad you're getting up dusting off and continuing onwards. You're builds have all been very inspirational and impressive. I wish you the best of luck in everything you do going forward.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Life don't always go the way we would hope but it sounds like you are determined not to let the misfortunes define you, congratulations on your new job and I hope your future is bright. HRP

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry to hear Ed. You'll be fine, starting over at 51 is kids play, in a similar (marriage) situation as you are in a few years back, I had to go back to school at 55 YO's and get a new career.

Luckily for me my kids wanted to stay with me.

After the wife left I eventually lost the house...pretty much everything, except my kids.

Looking back on the rough times, it's in the past. I may never have what I used to have, but have coins in my pocket and the kids (much older now) are doing fine.

Hang in there Brother, you'll get through it just fine.

Cosmo49, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  13. williebill

williebill

Good luck to you, Ed, and avoid all female contact for at least 5 years, unless you pay for it in advance.

Jet96, METAL MELTDOWN, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  14. 392

Lots of people surround you I’m sure and will help during rough time and I understand. Hang tough. The hamb is with you on everything including next adventure and never cave because we all have been there one way or the other. From USA

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear this, man. I always enjoyed your posts.

nunattax, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. rgdavid

rgdavid

Thats horrible, i hope you get back on your feet ...and kicking.....best of luck to you Ed.

17. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

All the best with you "new life".

Sometimes adversity brings out the best in people, and opportunity comes in very different shapes. Live your new life to the fullest, look forward and not back, keep those that mean a lot to you close to you.

you've been an inspiration to all of us here.

18. Life is a bitch. I'm also 51 and had to start again at 46 and it was no fun. Hope you're doing well.

Hennie

19. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know you Ed but it sounds like you have the right attitude! As long as your willing to adjust and make changes as needed you'll be all right! Keep on keeping on!

Stogy, hidez57, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Best wishes for your future Ed!

21. Your a good man....hope all works out - good luck !

22. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sorry for your predicament, just turn the corner and don’t look back. Hard to do with kids but you get the idea.
    At 39 my 2nd wife figured she had gotten everything she could out of me and left. She left me upside down in every way so I focused on work, some side jobs and building myself a hot rod as cheaply as I possibly could. It worked, I was out of debt and having fun sooner than I expected. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Ed your builds were some of my favorites, and you are a incredible craftsman.
    You are starting out on your second life adventure and I'm sure you will be as successful as the previous ones.
    All the best, and please stay in touch through the HAMB.
    Keith.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

ya gotta do what ya gotta do - just keep looking forward - some time post pics of rides that you built

25. loudbang

loudbang

Always liked your threads so sorry to hear about your life situation. Like they say one day at a time and soon enough things will start looking brighter. :(

cruiserjohn76, 1947knuck, bct and 3 others like this.
  26. Damn! Sometimes life is a big kick in the teeth. I’m sorry you’re going through this. Wishing you all the best.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Sorry to hear that Ed, have always enjoyed and learnt lots of tips from your posts. Hope you stay in H.A.M.B. world, you got a lot of friends here. Hope to meet you at Romo or Pendine one day

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. Ed, I am sorry to hear of your problems. I, also went through the same problem at 51 years old. I ended up with my 2 sons, and the house, although I had to buy out her equity in the house. It took me quite a while to get things straightened out, but life goes on. I met a woman 20 years ago, who is now my wife of 19 years. I am now 79 years old, and enjoying my life as never before. Keep your chin up, things will get better for you.

29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed, sorry to hear you had to close your shop and change your life. We did´t meet too often , but it always was my pleasure to talk cars with you. Hope to meet you again soon. The upside to this is ,that a skilled , honest and knowledgeable guy like you will never be out of work, because there are not many around that have both talent and willingness.

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you're selling successfully ,you're a likable fellow , you'll be fine, I'm sure you know this but BTDT , its easy more common than you think , still hurts , but its common....

Stogy likes this.