Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Wichita/ Sunflower Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aircap, Mar 12, 2020.

1. aircap

aircap

Okay - no cancellations here. Who has a booth, or plans on attending the swap meet at Century II?

This is the last year for my club's booth - Midway Chapter Studebaker Drivers Club. We don't sell anything, we simply hand out printed info, share knowledge, and chat with SDC members from around the Great Plains.

It's just not fun for us anymore after the Model A club sold the meet to charity. Since it's held at Century II instead of the Kansas Coliseum, we can't do what we like to do - meaning no more handing out free coffee, chili, and nachos. Our members used to make peanut brittle and cookies to give away to the kids (but the T-bird guys usually ate it all up).

So next year there will be an open space. Now's the time to jump on that.... R4, in the southeast corner of the Expo Hall next to the big doors. See you there Friday and Saturday.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I gave up my booth when they moved downtown and have only been there once since then. They need to find a better place with parking and a way to get parts in and out. I was talking to a friend this morning and he was wondering if the attendance won't be down this year.

3. Sedgwick County has just banned gatherings of 250 people or more. Does that mean they are shutting it down?

4. Hmm...I have been wondering about this today after 5 buddies stopped by and invited me to breakfast on their way up this morning. I haven’t heard back from them yet on the outcome of the meet.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Friend of mine that had a space at the Swap Meet said today they told everyone to pack up and go home.

6. Butch M

Butch M

I heard they shut it down

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  7. aircap

aircap

The rumors started about 1:30 when the county health department showed up and started messing with the volunteers running the doors (instead of asking to see who was in charge). I eventually went to the office and asked when they were going to make an announcement. All I got was "soon". About 2:30 they made the announcement over the PA that the show would close at 6, come back tomorrow to tear down. Lots of folks were already on the move. My booth partner and I got some lunch and talked about it.... "Let's split". We have a simple setup, some books on tables, and a banner on poles. We struck everything, had it loaded by 3:30 and I was home by 4. I saw Butch early this morning, but didn't speak to him... I was busy with a club member. Anyway - big inconvenience to a number of out of state exhibitors. Simple PITA for guys like me. It's a real shame, too - it was fricking busy as hell all day, handed out lots of magazines, flyers, and other info - gave out a bunch of phone numbers, and signed up a couple newbies for the club.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020