Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 Chevy Master

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ChevyMaster, Mar 5, 2020.

1. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

If you have a 34 Chevy Master, please weigh in. If you didn’t do the work yourself and don’t really know anything about your car please avoid commenting.
    As it’s states I have a 34 Chevy Master that I need to install an after market ( or other vehicle) drive shaft in. If you own one please tell me what you used. Even if it had to be cut.
    Don’t worry about the length
    1. What drive shaft did you use to start
    2. Did you have center frame clearance issues?
    3. What was the circumference of your drive shaft
    4. Did you have to modify the center “ hoop” ?

Thanks in advance for any help. And please don’t tell me “ it’s hot rod ding you have to figure it out. Hot rod ding is sharing ideas, information etc. it’s not the guy with the most knowledge wins, or at least it shouldn’t be.

2. I have a 34 Standard project and is why I opened your post. Yes I do all the work and know a bit about things in general. I can't answer your question as posted and doubt many can. If you would clarify your question a bit I might still be able to help out. Being this is for the most part a Hot Rod sight one might assume your working on non stock drive train. However sounds like your trying to use something other than stock in a stock application. If you would list what you have in front and behind where you need a shaft placed it would help a good bit as to the info you will receive.

TFoch and abe lugo like this.
  3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Yes I also have 34 standard street rod. You fail to tell us what drive train is in it or what drive train your going to put in it. Let us know what you want to do and I will be more than happy to help you with some advice on the project.

4. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Slight trim and a 2" driveshaft if I remember right.

5. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

It’s non stock drive train. Recently I got in trouble saying with front end it had so I am being careful. Let’s just say I will need cooling capacity for the transmission and the engine is a old school v8. I am simply looking for a manufacturer other then Walker and Griffin.
    I am trying to be careful not to upset the alleged hot rod purists . Suffice it to say it’s a v8
    Body wise the entire car is stock, stock grill, hood, body etc. so I am looking for cooling that someone has used ( after market non stock) that they have put in that factory stock grill shell. Once completed from the outside it will look original.

6. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Perfect, thank you. That’s exactly what I started to have built today

7. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Yeah, it's tight thru the X-member on the '34 Master.

8. Rusty J

Rusty J

Try Afco for the radiator, I'm using one in my 39 Chevy, has the internal trans cooler. You may have to go by measurements for your car.

9. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Do you have a 34? Is there a chance you have information on how much needs to be cut and
    By chance pictures or know someone, that has them,
    Thanks in advance for any information you have

10. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

Your right! Do you have a Chevy Master? If so did you make that cut? I tried to load the drive line today and it won’t fit. By chance do you have any pictures?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Yes, we had a '34 Master some years ago. I think we trimmed front part of the X a little for trans clearance and ran the small driveshaft. We had a 350 turbo. Place eng/trans so that the trans. tail shaft is in the middle of the X-member, where the driveshaft will run. Of course this will dictate placement of engine and mounts.

Tim likes this.
  12. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

That’s all done. Engine trans ready to go. Just had drive line made. It looks like the rear part of the tunnel is the problem. It has a sleeve that narrows the rear of the tunnel where the ujoints won’t fit through. I wish I knew if that sleeve when cut pulls out. That X member is the entire strength of the car I must be careful. Was hoping someone had already been through it and could help

13. killbilly

killbilly

Pat I sent you an E mail...

14. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I have three 34 Chevy Masters in the shop right now and am using a Jaguar IRS in one and a Lincoln/T-Bird/Cougar IRS in another. Saw the same problem as you so using a rigid mount 3rd member center section which gives a driveshaft with no movement (except rotational). Maybe just junk info but maybe give an idea. Good luck. Pics of no wood-all steel 5w coupe, 2dr, and a Town Sedan which looks a lot like a Ford Victoria.

IMG_4405.JPG IMG_4774.JPG IMG_4266.JPG

tb33anda3rd likes this.