Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods RapidAir Airlines: Are they Suitable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

As the title says are they suitable? They are made of nylon and are sold as a simple way to run air lines. But the questions is really can they burst and blow shrapnel up the wazoo (to use a technical term)?

2. I have not used them, but class 5,6,7, and 8 trucks with air brakes use nylon air lines all over the truck, tractors, and trailers. I have never seen one burst, they will melt if exposed to flame, welding slag, etc. I’m just not a big believer in quick connect type fittings. It seems like after a while they start to leak air.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and jaracer like this.
  3. 4woody

4woody

6 years and counting in my shop. So far so good. Maybe do the first bit from the compressor with metal to help the moisture condense out.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well a got a screaming blow out sale deal on a kit so it will be add on to my existing copper system. Or perhaps I'll run it underground into the house...

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If there’s any chance that it will encounter cold temperatures with warm air from the compressor running through it then you’ll get condensation.
    Then if is cold enough to freeze your underground line will be toast.

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Good point... but around here the ground only freezes about 3-4" deep even on a very cold day like -4*celsius.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's right I almost forgot that you're one of those pampered wet west coast guys :D:D

8. They are nylon so if they went they would tear not explode like PVC.

9. trollst

trollst

Geez, I thought you were talking about airplanes......hard to hang one of those in your shop.....

lippy likes this.
  10. I’ve used it for years, have had no problems. Was sceptical about he push on fittings, but they’ve held up to 135 psi.

11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

RapidAir also offers a hard line kit. I liked the idea of the hard lines to prevent any sagging between drops.

For a few bucks more, I got this 1” OD aluminum hardline kit, with 3 manifolds for the drops. The kit includes 90’ of tubing, and wall standoffs to mount the tubing.

FB1D7273-6E35-40F1-B25E-761B1480351F.jpeg

rod1 likes this.
  12. cpd682

cpd682
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from DFW, Texas

Installed the Maxline 3/4” system in a friends shop and the 1/2” system in my garage. Both have worked well.

The maxline pipe is aluminum reinforced and holds its shape well.

Northern tool stocks basic kits and fittings and occasionally has sales or coupons that help on the cost.