Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Woodie Project Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MaineRodder, Mar 13, 2020.

1. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

My father is working on an interesting project. He's not the most computer savvy guy out there, and he is also very modest, so I figured I would take the opportunity to show off his project. It's so cool that someone needs to show it off.

It's a '28/29 Model A Woodie. He started with a stock frame then boxed it and built custom crossmembers and rear suspension. It will have a rebuilt 289. The cowl and fenders are stock, but the body will be mahogany. He got a whole truckload of beautiful mahogany extremely cheap.

The photos below show the sheetmetal mocked up on the frame so we could start the design of the wooden body. I'll post renderings of how it will look soon. Then he'll build a floor and a steel cage which will be hidden inside the wood.

He's an ambitious guy. And extremely talented with wood.

Thanks for looking. Stay tuned.

Attached Files:

Boones, R A Wrench, LAROKE and 11 others like this.
  2. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I'm in. Looking forward to it.

3. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

Anxious to see your progress as I am doing the same thing

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

I like it....

5. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I am at a similar state of completion with a '40. Carry on.

6. Looks go so far. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hfh and 35cab like this.
  7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I hope your dad was able to drive down to Ogunquit to the National Woodie show last summer, over 75 cars. We had a cruise thru Kennebunk. There are three Woodie shows planed for your area this summer, Mystic Seaport, Ogunquit ME. and Whareham MA.

Outback and stillrunners like this.
  8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Forgot to mention, the National Woodie Club offers plans for Model A woodies. I believe they are $20.

9. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

I've been to the Ogunquit show a couple times. My dad made it a few years ago, but it was a pretty small turnout. We'll hopefully make it again this year. Thanks for the heads-up.

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Last year was a "National Event", so there were over 75 Woodies, you missed a good one! The National event will be held on the East coast every three years, so this year will be back to about 25 cars.

11. Go Daddy Go !.......nice work so far !

12. will be watching

13. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. grumpy65

grumpy65

15. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  16. lake_harley

lake_harley

Mahogany should be beautiful! Current mockup looks great, the stuff of envy. Any plans yet for the sheet metal color to go with the dark mahogany?

I'll also be watching for updates as the body takes shape.

Lynn

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Pontnak123: Fairly certain that Turquoise woody is the same Boyd built woody I hauled back from CA in about 2001 for my friend Gary in Omaha? He traded it to Alan Cape in Missouri and then it disappeared

18. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

I think he's picked out a dark green metallic.

lake_harley likes this.
  19. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

20. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

krylon 32. kirk from the woody works in cincy built for ron howard. ron howard sold to boyd .boyd sold to gary in Omaha. ridler car builder by the name of smith in texas bought it and put in a 276 flattie and a c-4. I bought it and drove several years and then sold to mike weeks in Washington state. he pulled the torque thrusts and put steelies and 50 merc caps. i then bought it back and pulled the flattie and c-4 and put a new sbc and turbo 350 back in then sold to mark thumbnail_GetAttachment.jpg thumbnail_GetAttachment2.jpg in virgina
    t

2Blue2, Outback, 40FORDPU and 4 others like this.
  21. chev34ute

chev34ute

I just noticed this post, I am not sure how far along you are with the project, especially with the upheaval of Covid but I thought you might find this of interest. 69B7E918-2AC4-4E18-92D2-574405D47FDE.png

22. chev34ute

chev34ute

23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I love Woodies! Looking forward to seeing this come along..

24. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

Progress on the woodie has been slow. The weather here was warm and dry all summer and fall, so my father spent most of his time on outdoor projects. Now that it's getting cold he's back on the hot rod. He's got the rebuilt 289 just about ready to fire up on the test stand. He'll then mount it in the car so he can recess the firewall around it.

We spent a few hours starting to saw and plane the mahogany. In its previous life it was a huge sign on the side of a performing arts building. The pile you see in front of him is about half of the wood.

The rendering below is my attempt to visualize the car all built out. I've also made him dimensional drawings of the wooden body, which is our own design, of course with bits and pieces borrowed from those who came before us.

Hopefully this fall and winter he'll make some huge gains forward. Stay tuned.

IMG_3745.JPG IMG_E2732.JPG

25. floored

floored

Looking forward to see the progress.

Ron

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow! That's a lot of expensive mahogany. Your dad must have got a good deal...

27. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Mahogany machine really nice, should work great for your car. Years ago a neighbor gave me some reclaimed planks from the interior of a boat which I used for the bed floor in my 31 pickup. Look forward to this build.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback likes this.
  28. dwollam

dwollam

I just bought a plank of Sapele, African Mahogany. 11'x11.75"x1". It was $82.00 from Edensaw in Port Townsend WA. Gotta replace a couple planks on my '64 Owens 40' Tahitian.

Dave

Atwater Mike likes this.
  29. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

The wood in the photo is about half the sign. He paid $50 for the whole sign, so his board-foot cost is pretty low!

46international likes this.
  30. A Boner

A Boner

Can someone photoshop the cool rendering with less of a chopped top? I think vehicles designed to haul stuff look better without diminished capabilities! JMHO.
    772423EB-55F7-4269-A43F-65640C556C0E.png

Outback and tb33anda3rd like this.