Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carlisle Swap Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Mar 10, 2014.

1. pitman

pitman

Some would call this a 'civic' improvement!;)

2. papajohn

papajohn

Ditto! Went Thursday, same thing no deals. Very disappointed with car corral. Probably more there on Friday, but decided to save the $30 and not go back. Not a lot of foot traffic, walked the entire grounds in one day.

Plus next weekend is Canfield (3 hrs drive) and Rose Garden (local).

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

3. mink

mink
    from CT

When I find a hotel day of Hersey, I end up driving to Ephrata and pay 70

I'm interested in knowing about the tent camping within the area for this swap and Hershey. Are there sites that I can get last minute.

4. jkeesey

jkeesey

My wife decided to come. She was right there helping dig through piles of junk and helped carry a set of old ford rims, and without her I would have passed on my score of the day.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

5. My 16 year old son and myself went on Thursday. Found a few items of interest, bought some parts for the Fairlane. But I agree with a previous post, seems like a lot of the stuff was way over priced.
    Either way it was a good day with the kid.

6. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

Just got back. How much Camaro, Chevelle, Nova repro stuff can you look at. Lots of stuff I needed guys told me I could order. I can do that in my living room. I like the southern Ford guys. They are helpful with my '57 Ford 390. Not much of that in Mass.

7. prpmmp

prpmmp

So walking around with a bunch of guys is cockification:eek: Pete

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Went on Friday. Didn't find what I was looking for, several things to complete my parts list for building my Chevy. But still a great day out. Better crowd than I guessed, but still way less than in the old days.

9. 5window

5window

Walked 10 miles yesterday-great weather, decent crowd. About normal amounts of women, folks with shopping carts and people riding golf carts that probably should have gotten of their fat behinds and walked (you need a cart to be mobile-fine by me-lazy, not so much)

There were fewer empty spaces than the last few shows. More hotrod and old cars in the car corral, too.

I got what I needed, but it was funny-usually 3-4 stainless hardware guys-I found one. Looking for a non-Lokar spoon style gas pedal-found one. On the other hand, there were lots of parts to look at-Sausage sandwich now $7, there were deals on parts. And not. It's 2014, not 1995. About the usual. I did score a really cool 1950ish V8 Srude air clear with a very retro FRAM decal-free.

Nice day all in all.

10. Wildman1

Wildman1

Not sure of what you are inferring?

I suppose you think that it is fine to bring your wife to deer camp & poker games too? :rolleyes:

11. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i brought my girl...I like it that way, she's into my hobby which makes my life easier and she aways finding me deals I somehow miss. i think its a great thing women are there, its a public event not a mens only club...right?

12. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Just a few observations: They have begun to rent 3-wheel scooters to anyone with the $$$, no longer do you have to prove a HC. On saturday, a group of idiots were running races on the top of the car corral. Their insurance carrier should be concerned. Secondly, the best food is just outside the fence- try the guy outside gate 7 who has the assembly line kitchen in his back yard, or the ladies who grille in their yard outside gate 2. Prices are 40% lower and the quality is good. Now, if less vendors would treat swap meets as the last stop before the dump- we'd all be happier. If the stuff you brought to sell isn't as a group worth what you paid for the space- maybe you're just camping!

13. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yeah!! You win!! Pete

14. I am from and live in PA. Carlisle events have been on a steady and sure DOWN-SPIRAL. Back in the early 90s to about 2003 it was different. Its a crying shame!!

15. tjm73

tjm73

I've been going for almost 28 years. Since the late 90's/early 2000's it has been slowly shrinking. The internet has done a lot of damage to the show by making it a lot easier for sellers to find buyers and vice-versa. The state of PA is not helping with making every vendor obtain tax ID numbers and collect/report sales tax. Small guys are saying F it, there are easier ways to find buyers.

That leaves the large vendors and the few smaller guys willing to deal with the new rules.

The quality and quantity of second hand parts to be had has shrunk significantly. And the cost of things has grown high. On top of that the average age of people walking around keeps getting higher. Not as many younger guys are into cars anymore.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  16. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I started this thread years ago. To those who go every year, I was wondering how Carlisle was last year compared to 2014 (the last year I went). Has is declined further or has it gained steam again?

17. ........It has declined further. Hold off and go to Hershey.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

With the Corona Virus issue is anyone sure there's going to be a swap meet?

19. I think Spring is better than Fall Carlise.

Seems like there is at some new junk being offered up after the winter hibernation.

Just my humble opinion.

I"ll go in the Spring. I can wait for Hershey instead of going to Fall Carlise.

Oldmics

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We were at Carlisle 10 yrs ago and it was ok , found some cool stuff. Returned last October, admittedly it was on day one and a few folk were still setting up. All we found was a walk in the sun , nothing really of any H.A.M.B. period wares . Personally we won’t bother going back.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Ya I swore it off after my first time attending back in 2014. I had booked a hotel for the night but just drove home after one day. Didn't see the need to come back a second day and decided to cut my losses on the hotel room. I was considering trying again but I guess I should avoid after my last experience if things have not improved 6 years later.

lothiandon1940 likes this.