Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Original 555 Triple Nickel Roadster Body FOUND!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Tell him to call me.

2. 392

Good stuff.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. well ya kind of just did put it on public forum .. lol.. well the HAMB.. the news will get out... congrats again.. I'm curious if there is anything left under that primer.. hmmmmm:rolleyes:

loudbang, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dude! That makes my pee pee feel funny! Congrats!!!! What a great score.

woodsnwater, dan31, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  5. Wavetrain75

Wavetrain75

Well can we at least have a vague version of the history? No need to name names or locations but it would be interesting just to have a general idea what it’s been up to all these years. “Some old lady was using for a birdbath since 1968,” for example.

loudbang, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike’s no longer with us but his son is and continues to drive a roadster at El Mirage. Is Dean still alive? He and Altman built another glass triple nickel and raced it at El Mirage and Bonneville.

tractorguy, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Before it's too late, but a lottery ticket. You just never know! Congrats.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. primed34

primed34

What's the one in Rodder's Journal #61?

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  9. ^^^

.. & everywhere really. The claim that the 555 roadster has been "restored".

Hell .. the only truth I saw about the original body not being used .. was in a HAMB thread 10 years plus old.

.. & wouldn't ya' know ? I'll be damned if it's true !! Also on the HAMB. Fuggin' amazing really.

On another note .. blasphemy to "restore" a significant racer known to be as such .. draped with its A roadster body, all these years & NOT use it's original body. Why not ? Big mistake there .. looks like.

Be fun to see its tossed away body .. remade into a hot rod incarnation though. This place rules, right ? !!!!!

tb33anda3rd, Thor1, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

watching

11. good I'm sure....getting some popcorn ready........

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

That’s awesome and congratulations such a cool car

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Whoa

14. 89320FB3-58EE-451B-9421-1B7DC66972D1.jpeg 2D2236EB-388E-4895-BBFB-0E66F7084297.jpeg
    A total recreation... Look at the deck lid of the car in TRJ... which the owners told TRJ was original. The louver pattern is wrong. Then look on the SoCal car next to it... that’s the car I think the original 555 deck lid ended up on...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  15. 2CD3DCD6-EB70-403B-9DA3-721D3FB5B4A1.jpeg I think I found the original deck lid!

EVL401, 1947knuck, Butch M and 13 others like this.
  16. Thor1, loudbang, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  17. That’s what I’m thinking!!

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...That very story is revealing and may be the catalyst for this outcome you have experienced...You have certainly dug up some very interesting literature on this iconic roadster...

As Chili said and the echoes from many are it is in a Hotrodders hand and you may build something complimenting its lengthy heritage if you choose to do so.

It seems there have been at 2 remakes of the Historical 555 Hotrod the second one with a third hole for the rollbar brace and you now being the Owner of that original 555 Body...I think, may and being in a land of Inspired Hotrod take it to another complimentary plausible iteration perhaps.

I mean it's obvious the pieces of this puzzle are all over the place not to mention another duplicate containing other original pieces...

It is interesting the Waters built two more tributes to the loss of regaining the original...and I suspect one of those 2 was in RJ but that is an assumption on my part...

All the best, whatever your decision...and if you do Hamb it up please share some pics if a build Thread isn't in the offing...I've have posted some pics of your rides in Threads and again support where you decide to take things...

Thanks again for sharing this most elusive piece of a puzzle...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    tractorguy, Thor1, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

May be just differences in lighting and camera angles but looks to me like the roll bar arches, QC covers, and rear ends don't quite match.

Ed

Bandit Billy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

You gotta build the matching trailer with striped ramps and all.

Old-Soul and loudbang like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200312_044817.jpg

20200312_044907.jpg

:rolleyes:...just cropped out the part I'm referring to to help those that are tiny text challenged like me...;)

KKrod, Butch M, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Hell yea!

Build a hot rod in the spirit of the original.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Oh yeah, the goods......

loudbang likes this.
  24. Here’s why it has a third roll bar hole... B9ED547B-4BDF-453C-A2AC-44E12914C8C3.jpeg
    3E1FDB9C-A31F-4644-B858-7BCDA3CB2DD7.jpeg

EVL401, 1947knuck, catdad49 and 14 others like this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

Boy, good eye Sam, both for identifying the body and noticing the deck lid details. No matter what you decide at least what’s left isn’t being butchered and made into a rat rod.
    They certainly stepped up the power in the black version! Very cool.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  26. The black car is the same car as the blue car. It went from California to Texas.

1947knuck, catdad49, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. They sure did Bob! Those Texans!

1947knuck, bchctybob, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Another vote for hot rod. We all have been waiting for a Samiyam fenderless hotrod build thread. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

hopefully what you do with it is donuts haha

29. I think if you are not intent on restoring it and I hate to use the word restore (because of all those over done restorations kind of kill the vibe of the originals), try and find another buyer who might want to try and rebuild it to the original car. To iconic to make a hot rod out of but it is your car so by all means do what you want. It can only be the original body once. My two cents for all its worth but the OG is fantastic!!
    [​IMG]

EVL401, catdad49, Butch M and 5 others like this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dude, my mind is racing! No pun intended. I go back and forth on what to do. I think restoring the car makes the most sense, but a street driven version would get more use probably. If it is a street driven version, it has to look as close as possible to the original.

EVL401, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 2 others like this.