Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiator difference ?? 33-34 ford car vs truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Well I see that a few different sources mention that there is a difference and that one will mot fit the other but none say what the difference is exactly. I can't tell by looking at the pictures because they look the same or pic quality is for shit.
    Is it just little differences or major ?

The 33-34 cars and trucks use the same front crossmember and mounting location in front of that same crossmember. so I'd imagine its same to say that the bottom is the same - right?

The grills are totally different and the truck loosely resembles the 32 car shell.
    so I'd imagine the shell mounting tabs on the side of the radiators would be different - right? More 32 ish on the truck radiator

Lets start there and see where the thread goes

2. I always assumed they were the same. I have one of each, glancing they look the same.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They are the same. the bracket from the radiator to the grill may be different but the radiator is the same. I put a 5 W radiator in my PU 30 years ago. This goes for the large trucks too.

4. This is the facts. I also have a car radiator in my truck. Only thing I changed was the brackets on the side that bolt to the grille shell.

5. Thanks guys !!!
    These suppliers are nuts.
    They expect us to buy what we need or figure it out with "stock photos" that represent 100 different products then , on top of that the put out BS info. You'd figure you could trust the guys making it.

Johnny Gee and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Topradman

Topradman

I know this is an old thread but I have a customer from Kentucky that wants me to build him a polished aluminum radiator for a 1934 pickup but the only pattern I have to work with is an original 1934 5 window coupe v8 radiator. I have a friend locally who gave it to me as I built him an aluminum polished radiator for his ride. It has a blown sbc in it and so does the customer in Kentucky so was hoping to measure on the local car and use the pattern I have for reference. Do both radiators then use the keyhole slots on the sides for shell brackets?

7. Yes, the radiator I bought was for a car and I just removed the car brackets and replaced them with the truck brackets that I took off of my old original radiator. I will post photos of the original radiator and the Walker radiator I replaced it with. Maybe the photos of the brackets can answer your question. Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

8. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

9. Topradman

Topradman

Thanks a million 56don! That is very comforting information! As I said, I have to build a radiator for this pickup and don't have access to the truck itself, just a 5 window locally to measure from. I have built this radiator before in different variations out of aluminum but never for a pickup so that really helps a lot!
    Thank you!

31Vicky with a hemi and 56don like this.
  10. the_brassworks

the_brassworks

I understand why it might be confusing if you were looking for the car radiator under the truck item. I cannot speak for other suppliers but we use our street rod pages to illustrate various builds (and fan and ac and shrouds and chop and engine swaps etc etc.) We find that it helps people see what the cannot articulate. The restoration page shows the stock design and set-up it may with identifying what you own.

If you look at the images on the website you will see the brackets are affixed on the 1933 and 1934 BB truck radiators are not present on the car. There are other differences between 1933 and 1934 but they will not affect fitment. As such most people call the radiators 33-34. If there is confusion we are a phone call away.

11. MGK

MGK
    from Ohio

Are truck and car the same height? I have a Detroit Radiator Corp aftermarket 33-34 radiator, running an 8RT in a 33 5 window. I cannot get the hood aligned. Radiator mounts in stock location on a stock 33 pass frame but when I attach hood, hood sides, I have approx. 1"gaps at front of hood side that meets inner fender and back of hood side that meets firewall. The body line of the hood looks as if it's rising rather than flowing down slightly in the front. Just seems to me the radiator is too tall. Checked the core and it's OEM correct. Any help is appreciated.

12. modified1927

modified1927

Thank you very much for the information. I like a lot of people thought they were the same, now I know I can use the bracket from the panel on the New Walker I bought at a swapmeet a few years ago when was still collecting the the major items. I really do appriciate it!!
    Rich

56don likes this.