Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any advice on how to fix this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flyn schlosser, Jan 30, 2020.

1. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Go to walmart. Buy 12 gallons of bondo. Mud over it and feather the edges about 2 feet in both directions

banjorear likes this.
  2. patterg2003

patterg2003

A novel thought. If the inside of the frame is flat except for rivets then the rivets could be ground flat. From the outside drill 4 pilot holes for a 3/4" hole saw so that the hole saw clear the outside welds on the points. Then cut through the frame with the holesaw from the backside until the saw is just through the frame. That will leave circular cuts where straight cuts can be done to run parallel to the plate to intersect with the hole saw cuts. That would leave a diamond hole with round ends. If a zip cut is sketchy then could slot the sides with a zipcut then use a sawzall to finish the cuts. Make a patch that fits with same thickness with a 1/32" gap all around. Bevel the frame and plate for a proper groove weld.
    Ideal would be to have someone TIG in the patch. The rounded corners allows for a patch with no place for stress to occur. The weld can be ground flush and then you could put a larger backer on if that makes you more comfortable. The frames start to crack on the flanges and not the web so a well done repair should be good as long as the repair is well back of the flanges.
    Make sure the patch is well outside the existing welds so the heat affected zone of the old weld is removed. Its not good to weld in the area close to a previous weld.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    haileyp1014 likes this.
  3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

looks tough, like old battle scars - i'd keep it

4. 10 pages! WTF

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Bandit Billy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You are not using it to grind with per se........the edge of the "disc" is cutting as designed but because of the thinness of the wheel its side touches the frame slightly. When you use a chop saw, the sides of the wheel also touch slightly. Once the weld is completely cut away the side of the "disc" leaves a nice finish .

The "disc" is so light that it won't harm anything if you have a faceshield to protect your eyes, decent clothing and gloves. You are probably in more danger when using a larger grinding wheel even with a guard, because there is more energy to dissipate if it breaks. With all that stored energy of the larger mass, it can ricochet. Any time you grind on anything there is always some possibility of danger.

Apparently............not everything was being done correctly. Most people try to keep the grinder at an angle that any broken grinding fragments will go in a direction other than toward their face.

While I realize that the poster wanted the OP to work safely, these kinds of statements are utter nonsense and way overstated. The OP is going to be ruined for life by exploding debris from the cutoff "disc". He'll probably be lucky if he isn't an amputee before he finishes his project. What utter Bull**** !
    I don't know how you can destroy a welding helmet with a broken wheel if you were following all the safety rules and had a wheel guard in place. There are grinding wheels and then there are GRINDING WHEELS. Lots of different sizes and types. Some have a lot more SIZE and MASS than others which have very little size or mass.
    In the case of the cut-off "disc"I suggested, it is very thin, and has almost no mass. While its not impossible to break one, the resulting flying parts ain't gonna break a welding helmet, or a face mask. They aren't likely to cut your hand if you wear gloves. Most people are bright enough to hold the grinder at a work angle that doesn't put their face in harms way, and the thin "disc" needs to be used gingerly rather than with maximum pressure.
    Anyone who has done much work on cars has come upon situations where they had to adapt something and not follow safety rules to the letter of OHSA's overdone regulations. Anybody here ever pour some gasoline in a carb to get a reluctant car to start ? Ever use a blowgun without putting goggles on? Ever tack weld something without putting your helmet on? Ever drill a hole without getting your goggles? Ever use any chemicals/paint without rubber gloves? Yep, not everything in the world is always done in a flawlessly and perfectly safe manner...........if we all only did things with safety as our only priority then half the children in the world would never have been born. And that includes a lot of us Hambers!

I'm not saying safety isn't important, but if a person takes reasonable precautions to protect themselves they can adapt tools to accomplish a purpose without being harmed. No matter how many safety rules and practices exist, people will find ways to hurt themselves.o_O The sky is NOT falling............

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  6. patterg2003

patterg2003

A small thin disc at 12000 rpm is a missile where velocity will injure as the hyper velocity gives a small object its dangerous power. A small bore hyper velocity round is as effective as a larger slow round at close range. The face shield covers the face leaving leaving the neck & the other 90% of one at risk. The guard restricts the line of fire whereas no guard is a 360 degree line of fire with nowhere to hide.
    It depends what one is willing to risk.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Hmmn, we can stand back ten paces, you shoot me in the belly with a .22, I shoot you with a .45. You have twice the velocity...okay, dumb example and no, I don't want to go all wild west here;)

Thing is there is a right way and a wrong way to use any tool. Even using a tool properly does not eliminate the chance of getting hurt, but greatly decreases the chance of being hurt.

The point it if someone is not comfortable doing any type of work/repair, farm it out. Those that are comfortable doing a type of work/repair -in most cases I hope- will do it safely and think about what's in front of them.

At work we have a "take two" before starting any job, no matter if it's climbing up a airport ladder, or tightening a bolt. It's required to take two minutes, visualize the task, no matter how routine it is, and look at the safest way to do the job.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. patterg2003

patterg2003

Well said. We had the "take two" and "safe start" where one of the factors to consider is line of fire if something goes sideways. You make a good point about skilled people. Boilermakers are allowed to use side grinders on our millsite w/o guards. In 37 years I have only seen one minor contact to a nose caused by a jump and a person not wearing the required face shield. The safety glasses saved his eye. That is a good record given the amount of boiler repairs & renewals over the years.

deuce295 likes this.
  9. sleepchamber

sleepchamber

So uh.....how did it turn out?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When a man with a 45 meets a man with a rifle the man with a pistol will be a dead man...Clint proved that to be less than correct.

11. Probably sold the car......

flyn schlosser likes this.
  12. flyn schlosser

flyn schlosser
    from phelan, ca

I been doing other work to the car as of lately so haven't tackled this yet I do appreciate all the advice .Thank you

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Stupid rules like that are made up by corporate types with no shop experience. If an individual is too incompetent to climb a ladder without thinking about it for two minutes and then has to spend another two minutes deciding how to use a wrench, I sure don't want him to be a mechanic on anything I ride in.....especially at an airport.
    What management fails to grasp is that any competent person using wrenches can't completely concentrate on performing the task at hand correctly when he is distracted by having remember to comply with rediculous regulations that break his train of thought. A distracted person is more likely to make a mistake ..............

A person has to respect the tools he uses, but he also can adapt them to suit different situations. If you work on old cars long enough you will find that sooner or later you will need to modify or alter a tool to suit a purpose.
    Even if you try to follow every rule you can conjure up, sooner or later you will hurt yourself. Thats doesn't mean someone should throw caution to the wind, but there are ways to remain reasonably safe when using modified tools. The main thing is protecting your eyes........most other injuries are usually minor. ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  14. Budget36

Budget36

You missed the point.

I'd be happy to explain if need be.