Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help getting started

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Woodman4, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Hey everyone, newish member here, never posted before. I am looking for some help with getting started on this model a I have inherited from my grandad. He passed away about a year ago and I finally got this thing brought out to my house last weekend. It’s a 1930 model that he bought from his dad in 1964.

Right now I’m just going to put up some pics of it and some pics of what I’d like it to look like eventually. I’ve been reading a lot on here but am having a hard time coming up with a solid plan to get the stance I am looking for. I think it’s basically a channeled body with a z’d frame in the back. Not sure if the frame will also need to be modified in the front or if a dropped axle is all it needs. Also not sure how much channel/Z/drop in looking at.

I’ve also got questions about suspension, engine, and transmission options that I will have to get to later on.

Any help or direction I can get on how to get this project started would be great.

013FCCD7-3A9C-4F5A-8479-23DAA865D2DA.jpeg EAD4949C-0682-4551-94E6-183CBD0B4246.jpeg 1C3B11E1-ABBC-4B11-AE1E-6928F3722C6F.jpeg 142169A0-DF1E-4564-A49F-F6B80228F13A.jpeg 8FC39E9B-3779-458D-A34B-B9251C33ECF3.jpeg B465EE02-FCA9-40F7-8A7F-42E0F9BB81AB.jpeg A3359145-826E-4074-93B5-D4373F3389BA.jpeg A4F78480-3493-48B5-9A14-57093F72CB65.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2020
  2. Crocodile

Crocodile

Not seeing the channel myself. Looks like a great car, and a clean slate to me. Enjoy it, and start small until you know what you want!

bchctybob, wvenfield and Woodman4 like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I'd start by thoroughly cleaning it up, inside, outside, underside, engine bay, etc, everything. Be a lot easier to assess what you'd want to do.

Then see if the engine can turn over by hand, etc. See what you have to work with.

If this is your first time with something like this, and assuming you can get it running, maybe do that and enjoy it before you start modding things.

Looks like a really nice start too.

4. Slopok

Slopok

The last two pictures shows the look he's going for.

5. Crocodile

Crocodile

I get that. Just saying that I don't see channeling that car. It's certainly not my decision, but I would explore options to leave a family heirloom a bit more intact if I was making the decisions. There are a lot of options to get a cool stance without being so invasive...

6. Simply beautiful :D No channel. Drop axle, 7.50-16 rear tires, 6.00-16 front. Leave the fenders :cool:

7. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I agree with crocodile, if you have little or no knowledge of modifications I would just see about getting it running and road worthy as it is if that’s possible as that would give you the basic understanding of what’s involved

chryslerfan55, Boneyard51 and Slopok like this.
  8. Slopok

Slopok

I totally agree.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a geezer but I see that car being cleaned up with a B Flatmotor or Flathead 8, later disc wheels and black wall tires, that would have been MY dream back in 1960. I'd like to live vicariously through you but that wouldn't be right (and damned sure not fair), that said it is your car and I hope you enjoy building it as much as I have enjoyed (and cussed at) mine:)

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the "Keep it close to stock (at least the first time around) camp". You will gain a lot of valuable knowledge building a simple banger-powered car or a basic A-V8.

11. Those 2 lowered coupes have a 4” front frame Z hidden in the toe boards, and the floor channel 3-4” with a healthy rear frame Z.
    The engines set high and well into the cabin space and there’s virtually no trunk space or a voided rumble seat.
    Lots of work for an old hat and possibly overwhelming for a first timer. You’re going to have to be very very good at solving problems, spatial aptitude, and making parts, those qualities need to be your strong points or you’ll need deep pockets.
    That’s a nice body to start off with.

These would be much easier builds and way more than enough for a first timer.

E07BB8BA-FED2-4AF4-ACCD-85FCB1A97F23.jpeg C5B4EFF8-D1C9-4ED8-B972-783A2B211F73.jpeg 66C48CD0-5D1F-4CE8-BB47-5E30106FDBFB.jpeg F5264A6C-9DC8-4D02-8CCF-62CA0F2FB5CB.jpeg 25BC1EE5-FC90-4344-B92A-9B213618BA8B.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    lewk, alanp561, DenverFlash and 14 others like this.
  12. Put your general location in your profile and someone might suggest local shows that might help you decide what you want. I like the stock appearance like my AVATAR, which has a 181 cubic inch Mercruiser Marine engine.

Charlie Stephens

13. Check out the "Banger Thread" on here.....just sayin'..........

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

15. trollst

trollst

Clearly, this is your first car. Decide what you want it to be, assess your skills, can you build it? Got a place to build it, and do you have the balls to see it to the end? If you think it'll be a couple year build and ten grand, double that, count on being totally discouraged and quitting, you've got a lot to learn and it'll be overwhelming at times, but rewarding. There is NOTHING like the first drive in a car you built yourself, if you can answer yes to my questions, then get on with it. Tear it apart, catalogue everything, take a ton of pictures, go to cruise nites and car shows with your camera and talk to the owner of a car that interests you, see how he did it. Get on with it boy.

16. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Whatever you decide ,do not channel it. Don't go crazy on z'ing the frame either. Maybe 2 inches in the back. Look at aftermarket frames ,they are not z'ed alot. Keep it simple. drop axle in front.

Boneyard51 and weps like this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

This is a traditional Hot Rod site. Some don`t think so they build to fit current trends. I disagree. Many cars were channeled back then. Here is a Chevy built 5 about y 2019-08-30_215138.jpg ears ago.

18. I agree too. Simple and classy. Nothing too drastic.
    Here's a few classic examples. I'm in Arkansas.
    Let me know if I can help in any way. I recently sold my 1930 coupe. The last car was mine.... tapatalk_1540372542673.jpeg tapatalk_1549074566601.jpeg 800px-Chris-casny-1931-ford-30.jpeg 800px-Chris-casny-1931-ford-25.jpeg IMG_20190910_194259.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Well there you have it Woodman. The HAMB has spoken. Your build has been decided for you. It doesn't matter that it's not what you want, because it's what the HAMB wants. No channel, minimal alterations, fenders and running boards a must, with strong leanings toward total restoration. Remember, it's not really your car any more, it belongs to the HAMB now. Permission will have to be granted on anything YOU decide to do to YOUR car from now on. Good luck with YOUR build, you'll need it.
    My 2 cents would be to find somebody in your area that has built a car the way you want to build yours and ask for his help and advice.

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When someone comes to the board asking for advice, they get advice. There is a lot of knowledge here, and the O/P will be a lot better off doing a little listening before he wades in and gets himself buried in a project, gets discouraged, and bales on it. I've seen it happen more often than not.

I suggest you re-read the title of this thread and also the last line of his first post : "Any help or direction I can get on how to get this project started would be great.".

21. Hey,
    I do understand your point too. He does need to sort through all the opinions and find his own style. Our opinions mean nothing. It's not our car.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As alluded...a nice base for a project...SOLID

Did your Dad or Grandpa ever discuss Hotrodding the Ole A Bone? If so is that something they had in mind?

I like the Channeled examples you posted especially the shiny one...

I believe that look to be described as the East Coast Look hard Channel No Chop...

I can't imagine a Four Banger with the heavy channel look maybe a Flathead V8, Hemi, Vintage Cadillac, Buick...hey maybe even an inline six...You are in good shape regardless have fun and look forward to your journey with it...

There is a Hamber with a build Thread ongoing right now with an inline six powered, low and unchopped coupe and it is looking good...so yes lots of options...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. clem

clem

Whilst I hear what others are saying, I have to agree with RJP comments quoted.
    Build it the way you want. Rather than regretting it.
    Everyone told me to build a T bucket first, but I didn’t want a T bucket.
    It wasn’t easy, but I got what I wanted.........and learned a lot, sometimes the hard way.
    Started with a basket case, ended up with this.......

EFD258E0-3B1A-40E7-AF90-78FFB338758C.jpeg

24. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Danger, danger will Robinson.... Hey man, whatch out on this site, there's a bunch of restorer types who represent themselves as hot rodders. Channelled coupes are cool as hell. Build what you want and stay away from opinions, try to stick to the facts, you will still get tons of opinions anyhow. Personally I have dealt with some really cool people on this site, and then there are the others who complain about things like grammar, whilst I like to type how I speak.....have fun with the coupe and drive the HELL outta it....!

25. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Oh, almost forgot.....what you're wanting to build is called "east coast" style, seems appropriate......

Lil'Alb, Chappy444, clem and 2 others like this.
  26. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The body on your car is exceptional. I wish I had anything half as good as what you are starting out with. You asked . . . So I will respond.
    It is spring time, go to car shows, cruise ins, and swap meets. Study EVERY Model A. Coupes, sedans, roadsters, pick ups. They all share the same chassis. You can get an A chassis down a ways but there are limitations. Pick out cars you like and ask the owners how they did it.
    Good luck and most importantly, have fun.
    That is what it's all about.
    You can PM me with any questions, Ron

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. many "great" and very detailed build threads on this site... They take you from soup to nuts.

28. Four generations? Cool! Your grandad bought it from his dad. So definitely time to build a Hot Rod! Not sure of your age or budget? But as a first time builder you may want to buy somthing like a after market chassis like from Speedway Motors etc. Then maybe a crate motor. Than just add your body. It'd be so easy peasy. Very easy for a first time builder too. You could then sell all the original parts that you didn't use. With all the help from on here, you shouldn't have a problem. Just ask lots of questions, and keep the dream. It takes time but sooo worth it! :) 130.jpg There's nothing more FUN than a model A !!!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  29. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I say keep it simple. Two many projects out there that were done wrong or people lost interest. If you never owned a channeled car i would ride in one first. They suck for comfort. He can build what he wants but needs to know it's harder than it looks and not always what they thought it would be.

bchctybob likes this.
  30. Wow, thanks to everyone for the responses. I know my first post didn't have a ton of info on what I want to do but I was running on no sleep and wasn't going to make it much longer.

A little more about what I have in mind and why... I have been working on my own cars since I was 16, but the oldest one of those was still roughly 68 years newer than this one lol. I am confident working on suspension, engines, transmissions, mechanical stuff. Where I'm lacking is in paint/body work, and I don't think I want to be the one chopping up the frame. I would really like to leave the body alone as much as possible, I think it could look cool the way it is. I dont see any way around channeling it if I am going to get it to look like I want it to, but I'd be willing to take that on myself if that's all the major body work I had to do. Would much rather spend the time/money on getting it on a solid frame with the stance I am looking for and a V8.

What I have been going back and forth on the last few days is trying to figure out if I should take this frame to someone capable and have them box and Z it, or get a frame from someone like Boling Brothers that is already done.

I appreciate everyones opinion on how this should look, and I really like some of the cars posted that aren't dropped much/any. Problem I have with that is it seems to me what makes those cars is the paint job, and I just don't think I have what it takes to get that done properly.

The Carolina Auto Fair is coming up in April and I am planning on going there and hopefully finding some cars similar to what I want and getting some direction from the owners.

bchctybob, swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.