Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carburetor ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, Mar 10, 2020.

1. bustingear

bustingear

Got these two at a swap meet in a box of 94's and need help pinning them down.
    The gold tint one is a Carter and the Aluminum cast one is a Detroit Lubricator. Would like some help in understanding what years , brands and models they were used in and anything on their value which I know may be subjective. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A quick search of google showed a Carter W-O carb as being for a 41 to 53 Willys Jeep. The other seemed to be used on early Cadillac, Dodge, Essex, Ford, Graham, Hudson, and Packard so it will be harder to that one figure out. Google is your friend.

3. The Carter still appears to have the production tag attached. :eek:

What kind of numbers or codes are on it? o_O

4. squirrel

squirrel

yup, blows my mind, 5 pics of a carb that still has it's tag, and not one pic where we can read the number on the tag.

GordonC, WiredSpider and lippy like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lol. But he does want us to guess .:D

Deuces likes this.
  6. bustingear

bustingear

I always like the part on the hamb when you ask for help and everybody turns into pricks.;) its classic like oldies on the radio.... The tag on the carter is 5728A. Maybe (572SA)? I was in a hurry and a picture would not have helped. Its barely readable.

7. bustingear

bustingear

DLC01 are additional numbers on The Detroit Lube model and 146-94 additional numbers on the Carter

8. squirrel

squirrel

heh...yeah, but looking at it the other way, I always like the part where you ask for help, then do your best to make it hard for folks to help you.

Anyways, the 572SA is a replacement carb for a WWII Jeep.

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=261230&start=45

GordonC likes this.
  9. bustingear

bustingear

Bless you my son..... Detroit is early flathead. Your correct on the Carter. Until next Time Over and Out.

10. carbking

carbking

Looking at the pictures:

The Carter type W-0 pictured (incomplete) LOOKS like one from a Willys military generator. Don't think it is a vehicle carburetor.

The Detroit Lubricator is from a 1933 Ford V-8.

EDIT: OK, read the entire thread. Carter 572sa was original to a Willys military generator.

Jon.

squirrel likes this.
  11. carbking

carbking

Jim - no offense meant, the 572sa has a smaller main venturi than the 539s or 636s used on the Jeep. Probably should not be used on the Jeep.

Jon.

tractorguy, GordonC and squirrel like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I always enjoy being corrected by you, Jon. No worries.

GordonC likes this.
  13. carbking

carbking

It would have been nice if the OP had mentioned the tag number in his opening post.

The Detroit Lubricator also should have a number stamped on the bowl cover, but very few are aware of this, AND bowl covers do get changed (as do tags).

Detroit "codified" their identification numbers beginning about 1925 or so. They would stamp a 6 character number on the bowl cover, in the format "m" "yy" "nnn", where "m" is a letter representing the month (A=January, B=February, etc.), "yy" is the last two digits of the year, and "nnn" is what today we would call a tag number.

Example G30755 is a Packard made in July 1930.

Jon.