Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where did they go and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 9, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes and I know why

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No

58 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Format changes, along with super moderators deleting and editing threads on anything and everything deemed "off topic" have seen alot of folks shift to other venues to share their builds. I remember a time when the same rules applied but it wasn't enforced so strictly. Take the time to post a thread and maybe pictures only to have it deleted or edited by moderators or over critiqued w personal opinions and general lack of knowledge or bitched at to fill out a profile and on and on. The HAMB was once the only real place to share this stuff, simply put there are a lot less restrictive places to share in an easier to use format. Also most of the cars I see being built now are more traditionally styled but not "traditional" by any means when it comes to motors, suspension, wiring ect... Most of which doesnt fit the criteria here. I still enjoy the site, and dont post off topic shit either. Im not shitting on the moderators doing their jobs or this place. These are just my observations.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@The37Kid click on the photo and it becomes full screen ;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe that works for you, but nothing changed when I tried it. Can anyone recommend a good stock in vision repair correction for the soon to be near blind cellphone people? Bob

54delray, raven, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

You have to be using the phone to click on the little picture and make it big. But it still only gets as big as the screen on the phone, which is tiny (for old folks), although plenty big for young folks.

5. You have to be on Instagram to do it. That is just a screen shot that was posted. Each of those pictures can be click on to expand if you are on the app. Some with the squares in the upper corner are multiple pictures you can scroll trough and the ones with the video camera icon are videos.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. That’s a screen shot, a picture of my screen so it won’t do anything. You need to go to the site

loudbang likes this.
  7. It works on an tablet as well not just a phone.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I have two 22" monitors on my computer, and I'm thinking of upgrading to 27" as my eyes degrade.

I have a tablet, really haven't found a use for it.

It's great that there are lots of folks who can actually do so much useful stuff with their phones and tablets. Not all of us can.

10. Not directed at you but I think more often that not it is more like they refuse to not that they can't.

chryslerfan55, bchctybob and The37Kid like this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So based on your post as I read it, Mods are too strict ( first half of your post ) or ....not strict enough ( second half of your post ) ?

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Since you claim to know how this stuff works I have a related question. Velocity TV runs adds for "APPS", is this a TV on your cell phone or can you see whatever it is on your TV in the comfort of your living room? One more question, how come I've never seen someone with a cellphone owners manual, are you borne cell phone competent?

chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  13. TimCT

TimCT

You can watch on your phone, or if you have a smart TV that's connected to the internet, you can download the app right to the TV and use it like Netflix.

I keep telling myself that one of these days I'll pony up and subscribe, but I hate the idea of yet another TV subscription.

chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  14. Wow, this thread sure took a left turn. HRP

54delray, OLSKOOL57 and loudbang like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

Not really. the HAMB is an internet platform to talk about traditional rods, and we're just talking about newer internet platforms that can be used to do the same thing. This stuff is constantly changing, and that has something to do with why some people have left the HAMB.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Remember when they first put the INDY 500 on TV, pissed off the radio owners. Bob

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

That's two more things I don't know how to connect to. Three if you count the little CD record player thing. Bob

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and K13 like this.
  18. Damn man. I am gonna get me a Instagram firewall tag. I got to have one now. :D :D :D

I think that in my stuff I got some really cool HAMB chit. I may have to auction it for the message board. if I can ever find anything again that is.

19. I don't remember claiming I knew how it works. I use some of it and some I don't so I know how what I use works. I couldn't tell you the first thing about facebook but I still understand there is a lot more there than most who don't use it like to constantly claim.

I have no idea about the Velocity tv app. I don't see anything in the app store other than Motor Trend (perhaps that's what it is called now?) But yes you could watch on your TV given some caveats, you need a smart TV with an internet connection or you need some type of device to stream the internet to your TV.

As far as learning a smart phone I did it like anything else I ask questions, I play around with it and I look stuff up on the internet. You literally are not trying if you can't find info on how to do anything in this day and age. Yes you sometimes have to filter out the bullshit but it's still pretty easy. I am far from a tech guy but I don't throw my hands up in the air and just say I can't do it. It's not for everyone and quite possibly may not be for you (although you do ask about it often so you seem to have some interest in it and lots of it can be used from a computer not just a phone) but it can be a useful tool if you take the time to figure it out. Some of it is total crap as well but that dichotomy is pretty much life.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, bchctybob and swade41 like this.
  20. I think that you and me are a lot alike in the wide swath we cut. ;)

Vic^^^ here and old farts like me have too much respect for the message board and the people that make it what it is to clutter it up (or try to) with our other interests. Funny but some of the people we miss may be the same way and have gone MIA because of it.

21. I don't like rusty crap and I believe the SBC is a good hot rod engine. I think 4 doors are for taxi cabs. Lately, these ideas are the minority view here. I just don't find the kindred spirits here anymore. Plus, so many of the people that I dig are dying off. This coming May I will be going on a cruise through the local backroads with the San Luis Roadster Club. There will be 125 hot rods on this run. If I were to post pics, there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth about the SBCs, 4 bar suspension and radial tires. Usually from people whose cars are not dependable enough to go on the run. The worship of junk has driven a bunch of us away. To me, hot rods aren't junk.

22. I can agree with this, some stuff gets deleted while others stay, guess it's who you know, people bitching about you can't do something one way because it's not their way, then they'll even go as far as reporting your post to get it deleted !
    There used to be tons of tech, good informative threads, now it's about hanging your elbow out the window, what color of shirt do you wear to drive your car, tons of those. If you do a search for something most of the time all the photos are gone so those threads are pretty much useless or the thread itself is completely gone for some reason or another. How many times is a person going to go through that before he jumps ship to another place to get the info, pretty soon this site doesn't get the first chance to find something for fear of finding missing photos and posts again.
    I see some of the people mentioned in the opening comment posting regularly on other social media sites, I think they've just had enough of the crotchety b.s. that ruins threads around here. This used to be a place to come and forget every day problems by getting lost in great car builds or getting a history lesson, now it's just bitching.
    I'm sure someone will even tell me how wrong I am about everything I just posted..lol

23. I guess your right Jim, but I'm content to use a PC, I don't have one of those newfangled smart phones.

BTW, I keep hearing the hamb app doesn't work to well. HRP

24. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I was off for most of last year with the damn flood. When I finally bought another computer I didn't know my password so that sucks. I don't have a car now ,the 57 went down in the flood .

loudbang likes this.
  25. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

I'm very new to the HAMB and although I lurked for a while before I joined I don't think I'm in a position to comment on why specific long-time posters left, but as someone whose work calls for periodical computer uploads and updates I can tell you those are a fucking pain in the arse with the usual gremlins which take ages to get right - even if you're computer savvy. I remember the drama when the format changed and I assure you that crap is enough to make one throw one's hands in the air and give up (unlike at work where you have no choice, the last thing you want to have in a place you use to relax and enjoy are those kinds of problems). So I get why people left. Now of course all those issues are solved and I find the format really user friendly, but.

IG is useless for discussing technical stuff and Twitter is for - sorry - stupid Zoomers so I'm not sure why people get on those other than for the purpose of advertising their business or ego.

Strictness of rules? Not really. My car is being modified in the spirit of the time it was built (1964) but I drive on European roads so some concessions will have to be made, but I don't post those here and all is well.

Bottom line I still think you can't beat this forum for the technical stuff (FB does have its advantages and limitations in this respect and I use it for the tech too where it makes sense but nothing else - again I'm in the EU and we have "hate" speech laws (keep your 1st and 2nd amendments guys) so you can't have any discussions anymore. Same for Youtube) so I'm staying lol.

26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Cob, The rules as they have always been are fine w me. However since adding several mods and the last format change it seems the selective enforcement really stepped up and mods really started to "clean up" or delete many things that in the past seemed to fly without any issue. In response I see less folks active here, less build threads and long time members moved on to other places. So with that I'd say its gotten to strict for a bunch of Hoodlums. Make sense now ? For the record I didnt have a thread shut down or a mod make me mad. None of this is personal, just my observations. I still enjoy the hamb, but I liked it more a few years back.
    Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Exactly my point.

porknbeaner, The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Perhaps you'd like to host some lessons for those of us who aren't now and never have been particularly computer literate ..

The37Kid and loudbang like this.
  29. I'm a big technology guy. I would love to help anyone. Just let me know how I can help! I need your car knowledge so I'll gladly help another HAMBer just to keep them around.

Nick

Name a topic and I'll gladly do my best. As long as moderators approve.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

A tablet is all I use anymore ( wife took over the PC for games ?!) But I have no idea how to cut&paste or load pics or much of anything but surf & post ??

chryslerfan55, loudbang and bchctybob like this.