Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical axle bearing remove on 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatmotor40, Mar 8, 2020.

1. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

How to you clear the dust cover on the axle to press it off on a 55 Chevy . Not enough room for clamshell doesn't seem like.Thanks

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've always used my press with couple of plates under the bearing/axle retainer. Put the axle with the hub facing down, fit the plates under the retainer and press on the axle splined end. The ones I've done were plenty tight and took some force to get the bearings off and back on. Good luck!

3. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

When I did the bearings in my 55s original housing I placed the separator between the flange and the bearing and sandwiched the dust cover. Since it was flat it didn’t cause any problems.

I cut the bearing retaining rings off before pressing.

seb fontana likes this.
  4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I always cut the bearings off with a torch and cut off wheel. It is much safer than having an axle fly out of the press if the angle is off just a bit. I have seen it happen and the end result was not pretty. A little grease and smoke but no bloodshed or missing limbs.

Jokester, Cosmo49, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Normally, I use a cold chisel to "spring-split" the bearing retainer ring, so it can be removed; they are't reused anyway. Then the bearing can be pressed off fairly easy. Just be sure to use a BRASS HAMMER with the cold chisel. I had lent my brass hammer out, and it never got returned, so when I had to split the retainer ring, I used a steel hammer. And, a small fleck of steel flew off the chisel or hammer, went right through my blue jeans, and embedded in my groin area right next to my man parts. Just like a little sliver on a razor blade. We got it out at work with the help of fluoroscopy, local anesthesia, and the ER Dr. So, use the right tools, or risk paying the price. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That "always cut them off" reminds me of one that a guy brought over to the house wanting to know why there was a groove burned in the axle shaft behind the bearing. Someone in the past had cut a bearing off with a torch and cut a notch in the axle in the process. I think he paid 3.50 for a used axle with a good bearing that we found in a Crawford Wa wrecking yard.
    As with anything else you stick in a hydraulic press you need to use some precautions and do it right. We always wrapped a shop rag or two around the bearing because guys said they could break and throw pieces all over the shop but I never had one do that.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just heat the inside race red hot and let cool it will almost fall off.Try not to heat the axle any more than you have to.

8. Take it to the machine shop.

COCONUTS likes this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Grip axle tightly in vise. Don safety glasses. Split retainer. Wrap red rag tightly around bearing. Destroy outer race with BFH. Using your air chisel bit whose tip you flattened to a 1/8'' flat surface, walk the inner race off the shaft. Clean everything, THEN PUT THE DAMN CAGE BACK ON THE SHAFT !!! Then finish the job by pressing new bearing on shaft. (A piece of pipe slightly larger than the shaft works fine if you don't have a press.)

studebaker46 and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

There’s an old trick to cutting one piece of metal off another, so that you avoid cutting the bottom metal/axle. Take your torch and heat the bearing race, but turn your torch to the side so that the flame is aimed above the axle, but still on the race. Then hit the oxygen , and as soon as it starts cutting/ melting the race, pull your torch back a ways. It will continue to cut the bearing but will not harm the axle. An old welders tip, taught to me ........by an old welder!

Bones

VANDENPLAS, egads and Old wolf like this.
  11. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Thanks I didn't want to destroy the brg retainer so i will put the clamshell under it

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

In the past I have done this, it’s dangerous and not recommended. I would cut the soft retainer with a sharp chisel and remove . Then I would take the axle and place it on the anvil and hit the out side race with a big hammer, shattering the outer race. Remove the balls, and I would place the inner race squarely on the anvil and hit it with the BFH, it will also crack and can be easily removed. This procedure is dangerous and shouldn’t be done, due to flying pieces of sharp metal! It can put your eye out! To quote Ralphie’s mother! But when your young you think your bullet proof!
    Then I would put the bearing on a large light bulb for about a half hour, the put the hardware and bearing on the axle, slide it over a piece of right sized pipe and slam them on the concrete, using the weight of the axle to drive the bearing on! Then repeat with the retainer, and it’s done. Replacing the axle bearing with out a torch, press or clam shell. I don’t recommend this, just telling you what I did...... back in the day! I don’t do it any more!

Bones

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

When I read all these replies I know why OSHA is in existence. Flatmotor you should take it to a shop and let them worry about taking it off.

Pat

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

OSHA, doesn’t apply in the home shop. Commercial shops would ,obviously, do it with the proper machines. When I was young I had the” I can do it “ attitude! Now , as an older man, I have the “you can do it for me” attitude! Lol.

Bones

gotta56forme and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. TIP: be very careful not to dent the bearing shield when installing it. I put a slight dent on one for my Olds rear in my Willys. Drove fine for several years but it developed a slight noise that quickly turned into a roar. I tracked it down to the rear axle bearing. When I took it out the bearing was amazingly nuked, totally gone except for only about 3 balls left in the race! The dent apparently shaved off metal that gradually eroded the bearing. Lesson learned!!!

16. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I have a small up right 12 ton press and the clamshell I have will not go to the outside edge to press off.Might take it to a friends shop and use his press.Already cut the sleeve off.Will work on it today if i feel like it

17. I used to go to the local NAPA store and used their bearing press. The last time that I went, the owner told me that he no longer has the bearing press. I asked him why it was gone. he told me that too many people didn't use it properly, and parts came flying out. He no longer wanted the liability, so he scrapped the bearing press.

18. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Went to my buddys shop yesterday and he doesn't fool with the older stuff anymore since most modern brgs are in the housing and he just cuts them off. So went back home after got the brgs at the auto store and cut them off with ziz wheel.Now i can press them back on today I hope.Thanks for help

19. The sliver of steel was from the mushroomed chisel. I've seen many chisels like this over the years, very dangerous as you found out. Grind that mushroom off and you will be good.

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Used my local Napa machine shop for mine 20 bucks each
    20180406_160801.jpg old off new on

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.

21. I shad the same thing happen to me, basically in the same spot, inner thigh by my “ goods”
    But I didn’t feel it go in.
    And being a typical guy I ignored the red spot, it got bigger and bigger over a couple of weeks till one day sitting on the throne I look and my thigh is red from hip to knee cap and hard as concrete!!
    Ok time to see the doc, he took one look at my thigh and yelled at me , called me an idiot and a few other choice words!
    Said if we where in a 3rd world country he would be hacking my leg off !!

off to the emergency ward for surgery
    1 week carting an IV bag on my arm
    And 3 weeks of no work and a nurse coming to my house to pack the wound and drain it etc.

hitting bearings with hammers, while I’ve done it a zillion times in the past, now I do all I can to remove them with press or other tools and do it right.

and keep your chisels dressed !

willys36 and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I learned that the hard way too. Mine was a result of an undressed chisel. A piece of the chisel came off and hit me in the chin. I though it just hit and left. But it wouldn’t heal, kinda festered and I dug a piece of metal out it! Hooray! It healed up and a spell later it began to fester again! I dug another piece of metal out! Then it healed for good!
    I put on my eye protection and dressed all my chisels punches and anything I had that I hit with a hammer!!! See I am trainable! Lol

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Pressed it on yesterday and today hope to get them back in and hope that as my whinning noise.

24. hd_cat

hd_cat

We built a tool from 3 x 3 Angle Iron and C-Channel to raise the axle flange from the press bed, we did heat the inner race with a torch to loosen it, then the press worked well. Is anyone else concerned that there is no real retainer for the axle bearings, just the cup/outer flange, which has an I.D. larger than the bearing O.D. the bearing could walk from its seat and damage the tire, fender, and possibly the carrier.

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Before you pull or cut off the old bearing check the fit of the new bearing with the axle housing. I know that they made two different sizes and that the 57 bearing is the larger of the two (the other two being 55 and 56). I have a 57 with the original rear end with the drain plug in the proper location for a 57, but have the smaller 55/56 axle bearings. So you can guess I was a bit surprise when installing the axle that the new 57 bearing would not fit, it was to large. I have to admit that I too, take my axle(s) to a machine shop to remove and install.

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Take it to the machine shop.

27. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Just for safety's sake, always where at least safety goggles or preferrably a quality face mask when using a hydraulic press on a bearing. Hardened steel can shatter and send pieces flying at a high rate of speed. I know this for a fact!
    Same thing when using a chisel on a bearing.

Moriarity likes this.