Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plastic engine blocks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nwguy, Mar 9, 2020.

1. nwguy

nwguy

Getting old sucks! I do a lot of corvette frame repair, As their value has gone up people are dragging them out of barns and sheds, and most have real frame damage. I have always made sure that the motors would fit the mounts. I did this by lifting a 305 block up onto the frame rack and then lifting and setting the block into the frame. My back just wont support this activity anymore. I have looked at the Payr blocks, but $450 seems like a lot of money for a chunk of plastic. Does anyone here know of a cheaper alternative?

Steve Ray, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

$450 is less than your out-of-pocket maximum on your insurance deductible when you blow a disc out of your back lifting a cast iron block.

3. 500caddy

500caddy

Isn’t there a mechanical device that would lift an engine in a car

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I had a friend that built a jig out of tubing that replicated where the engine and trans mounts were on a small block/turbo 350. He was building a lot of so equipped chassis at the time.

Hnstray, Paulz, Cosmo49 and 11 others like this.

5. nwguy

nwguy

When a vette is on the bench a cherry picker wont reach, I have used the frame rack towers to lift a motor recently, but it is a major hassle...time is money. I will probably just build something that will work.

GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't someone on here post up plans for making one out of wood?

Alternately, gut the bores and webs out of a junk block. All you need is the mounting points.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow, G-son, ClayMart and 4 others like this.
  7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I bought a Payr SBC when they first came out along with 350, 400 &700R4 trans. I also have a SBF, C4, AOD, Flathead, 4.3 V6, 392 Hemi, and LS motor. The investment was plenty but I bought them over a period of time and I find them indispensable in my hot rod chassis business. I'm 75 with a very small shop and couldn't get along without them. Great investment.

8. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

anothercarguy has the right idea. I built one years ago for the SBC with a couple of different trans mounts and another for SBF. 57 Joe said it all, work smart not hard.

loudbang likes this.
  9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

They are great and have a sbc sbf hemi and flathead and saves time and your back. It also is a great place to hang your speed equipment and makes a great coffee table when not used:D

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bet you could build one out of a sheet of 2 inch Styrofoam insulation and a little adhesive. Damned sight easier to build than using wood.

11. Hummm,
    What kind of configuration to cherry picker do you have?
    I can set an engine block on a 5 foot high shelf with my cherry picker

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I would talk to your buddies and see if someone local has one to borrow. I have lent my out a bunch of times to friends for months .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

If you amortize the cost over how many chassis you will do, it will come out to very little especially if you charge the customer a "fixture fee" for the cost of having a jig straight chassis. I'm not trying to be a wise ass but your making money on these jobs so figure it out.

Pat

15. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

7683E154-6F3B-4D36-AD44-8B7F3C540053.png Gantry are great and found a cable lift my buddy used for setting heaters and A/C units in commercial building. When he sold the company he had a extra I bought and used it a bunch. It has to be the best for lifting bodies off of chassie and installing motors. It’s cable operated and so small moves are easy unlike a cherry picker. Mine is a 1500# lifting capacity and buried in the back to get a picture but found one similar mine is a Velti? It maybe helpful not only the engines but lifting parts ,bodies and almost anything to help our aging bodies ..

ratrodrodder, Hnstray and '51 Norm like this.
  16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

If you go on youtube and search 'how to make a mockup engine' it shows how a guy gutted out a junk iron block. It would be a filthy, nasty job but cheap.

3-9-f.JPG

17. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Holy shit....that looks like $500 worth of work. I'd rather just buy a plastic block...I've seen them at swaps for cheaper..

18. nwguy

nwguy

The supports for the frame rack ( think pedestal style) preclude using anything that rolls. My last shop had an overhead crane, loved it! this place now, is a leased building and the ceiling wouldn't take the load. At $1.50 a sq ft per month, I dont need a lot of clutter. I will just have to make something that can hang on the wall when not being used.(99% of the time)

19. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

went to an area sprint car racer and got a badly blown up aluminum Rodeck block-it was headed for the scrap aluminum bin anyway.Find an older one that still has the side motor mounts and fuel pump boss-also some of the newest blocks have a non-stock small bell housing pattern,Late model racers are more likely to have the block with all the correct bosses.P.S. I paid $ 50 for it,more than he would have got scrap

Hnstray likes this.
  20. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I do more engine swap /build engine mount work,so I wanted to be able to bolt oil pan,heads etc to check clearances-The aluminum block still accepts all of those.Also the plastic block doesn't like cutting torch or welding heat very well!!!

21. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We got one for a vintage sprint car restoration project. Well worth the money since we’ve had it in and out several times. I see them pop up on Craigslist from time to time for anywhere from $175-300.
    SPark

22. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

IF all you care about is mount location then if I were you I'd just build a tube "T" with the top of the T going side to side to the frame motor mounts and the bottom of the T going to the trans mount.

It'd be real easy to build, cheap too and it'd be lite and easy to handle...

alanp561 and Hnstray like this.
  23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Certainly wouldn't want to do any work when you can just throw money at it :rolleyes:

egads likes this.
  24. I bet that was fun!!
    And I also but it’s still heavy

-Brent- and 19Eddy30 like this.
  25. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember when Saturn used to be around, my local dealer had a cutaway car in their showroom along with a styrofoam engine block and head that was used for lost foam casting.

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't know if it's the same block or not, but I made one of those cast iron "lightweights" many many years ago. Best I can figure it was still around 100 lbs which is comparable to an aluminum block. Burnt my foot with some slag that jumped in my shoe .......you know how molten metal and crap just love that little crevice where your shoe tongue is like a catchers mitt. Still got the scar! Sold it at a swap meet. o_O

27. ahshoe

ahshoe

I bought one at a local swap for $300.Used in a few times ,now it sits on my top shelf in the shop about 10' up with my tarps and extra rear seats. Sure is nice as it does not take up floor space when not in use.

28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Offenhauser had a flathead block made out of balsa wood for trade show displays. Ollie Morris would put in on shoulder and grunt as he carried in.

G-son and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

It's all about priorities brother...I'd rather spend effort doing something else. I work enough. I also pay $50 a month to a gardener so I dont have do my own yardwork...time is money and it's also fleeting.

30. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I picked up a plastic motor and trans years ago, found it on craigslist. Me and my buddies have used it are times then I can count. Back saver.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.