Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical radio conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jerdan, Mar 9, 2020.

1. I am looking to convert my radio in my 53 victoria to am-fm. Can anyone tell me who would be a company to do this. What would be the estimate for this? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Sparkomatic used to make one, if memory serves the part number was FM10, or FM11.
    You may be able to find one on the auction sight.
    It was small and mounted under the dash.

3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want to convert the original, google antique auto radio conversion. A number of shops come up. Sit down and have a beer before you open the price list. I've had a couple done, but in today's world blue tooth speakers and your phone will be a lot cheaper.

One example
    http://www.cruzclassicradio.com/

nochop and seb fontana like this.
  4. Joe Mammana

Joe Mammana
    from Tucson AZ

I had Radiobill here on the H.A.M.B. do mine and it cost a few hundred bucks but is well worth it in my opinion. Drop him a line

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1oldtimer and jakespeed63 like this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Are you set on keeping your old radio? There is a company that builds period correct am/fm stereos for automobiles.
    Try Retrosound.

seb fontana and jakespeed63 like this.
  6. Mimilan

Mimilan

Just fit a redirad Am converter inline with the aerial and hook your phone up to it.
    https://redirad.com/

Or add a hidden bluetooth amplifier under the dash somewhere [even cheaper]
    I have a 100 watt amp in my 57 Chevy

7. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

I was able to get a kit from a guy who became a dealer to do his own stuff. It was from an outfit in Florida. I converted the original radio in our 50 Chevy Convertible. You do need to be comfortable with some soldering and a little electronic background also helps. There are guys who will do it for you. Think they get about $450/500.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The dash I am putting in my 48 has a rebuilt stock radio in it (not Chevrolet) my plan is to have that AM radio work though it's own speaker (s) and have a hidden head unit for AM FM and CD/blutooth/USB like the Alpine in my BMW. That radio will flat blow your gal's dress up and you can plug a usb stick in it with every tune you ever recorded on it if you want. About 250 bucks plus speakers but that way the stock radio is unaltered and you can play it on an AM station for show and tell if you want to.

BJR likes this.
  9. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I'm going to be working on retrofitting Bluetooth to my factory AM radio; auto-switching via a bypass relay. Leave my phone disconnected from the Bluetooth (real easy on the top menu) and it operates as per factory, pops and crackles.
    Connect up a device that sees it as a pair of headphones and click, it disconnects the AM output to the radio's power amp and whatever my phone puts out audio-wise plays through the radio loudspeaker.

Waiting on a new Bluetooth board to arrive in but it should be a fairly simple install. The speaker in the radio isn't bad and it's got a 4 Watt class AB1 push-pull power amplifier, about the same as a halfway decent guitar practise amp and isn't bandwidth limited that far up in the circuit. All in all it should sound pretty good.
    In-car that's not a huge limitation, I don't bother with FM any more because I can fit hours of my favorite music, organized to my taste on my phone and have it play from my pocket.
    Oh yeah, also to mention it has microphone capability so turns the original AM radio into a basic hands-free kit. No tickets for me!

Phil

osut362 and bchctybob like this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A couple years ago there was a nice thread on here how to make a neat hidden bluetooth unit for not too much money, Id look for that.

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

If the radio works its easy to install an input jack and plug a I-Pod into it.. Those tube radios sound better then most new radios...

12. Neb Hillbilly

Neb Hillbilly

I added a input to the AM radio in my 70 Chevelle. I still use the AM and if I can't pick up any stations I can use my phone, Walkman, FM transistor radio, record player, etc.

Here is an article on how to do it.
    http://autoxer.skiblack.com/nallm/mp3jackinamfm.htm

bchctybob likes this.
  13. the-rodster

the-rodster

14. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I had mine done by S&M Electro-Tech in Blaine MN. www.turnswitch.com I love it. Looks exactly stock, but is AM/FM. I passed on the the extra stuff but they can set you up to run your digital music through it. (I carry a flip phone ... its a phone)

bchctybob and 56don like this.
  15. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I like what they've done with that, a nice upgrade.

My handheld computer just happens to be able to make phone calls also... I'm happy to be able to use the functionality it brings; if not those conversions work really well!

Phil

Phil

54delray likes this.
  16. Mimilan

Mimilan

For the technology challenged, I did an install thread about 9 months ago where we installed a bluetooth amp that was non invasive to the original system.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...th-sound-system-install-non-invasive.1155455/

Since then we have added another mod where It now has a latching door relay that switches it off when the door is opened because Chevy's don't have an accessory position on the ign switch.[we can listen to music without burning out the points/coil]

These bluetooth Amps are so successful, we have now added 2 more in our house [powered by computer AC adaptors] and now have 2 rooms with hidden sound systems.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    54delray likes this.
  17. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The retro sound products are okay, but I've had two customers who could not listen to AM talk radio, which was what they wanted. One was sent back under warranty but the second wasn't great. I also had a 1951 Ford radio restored by a guy in Kansas. Worked perfectly and was a few hundred. The other options with bluetooth amp, etc. are what I use for myself.

18. donsz

donsz

19. Andrew Samson

Andrew Samson
    from Minnesota

Do you my chance have any more detail on how you converted that to bt? I have a 55 custom I'd like to do that to.

20. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW Hot rods through the sixties didnt have radios. We listened to our engines.

21. Mimilan

Mimilan

"FWIW" = F***en Worthless Input Whatsoever

22. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Come to think about it I never really listened to a radio just because most of my daily drivers all had huge cams and 3” exhaust with turndowns before the rear axle. That and most of them lacked interior because I wanted it lighter.
    But now in my AARP days I kinda dig the creature comforts that are out there lol. But I am wanting to convert or add a Bluetooth to the factory radio on my ‘51 Tudor because it has the rarer Town and Country radio that works perfectly. Just need to fix it where my iPhone can be used with it. Also if I do a Bluetooth module for it will I be able to add the proper amount of speakers and subs so I can enjoy the conversion?

23. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you have a working AM Radio, [and not scared of a bit of wiring] You can connect a 3.5mm phone-jack between the Tuner and the Pot [Volume control]
    Here is a basic schematic
    upload_2023-9-26_13-24-58.png

With the 3.5 aux input unplugged the Ring shunt and the Ring are connected together [so the Tuner is connected to the Volume.
    When you plug in a 3.5 aux input the Ring shunt and the Ring are disconnected and the Ring [and Tip] get the signal from the Aux input
    2 x resistors are needed for the stereo Aux input to convert to mono.

With this the FM signal from a phone or whatever will still have that old timer "mono" sound

Here is a Phone Jack [they are small] All you need is a 3/8" hole in the dash or glove box for it
    upload_2023-9-26_13-35-5.png

Here is the same Phone Jack with a Aux input plugged in [You can clearly see the Ring Shunt and Ring disconnected]
    upload_2023-9-26_13-37-35.png

This is the same Phone Jack soldered to some "shielded cable" ready to fit to a Radio [We made these in pairs, and saved this]
    A Phone Jack costs about $2-50
    upload_2023-9-26_13-40-40.png

@lostn51 AND @Andrew Samson
    If you are electrically challenged and have a working Radio that you are reluctant to open up, then consider the Redirad solution
    https://redirad.com/

It is a simple box connected inline with your aerial, and you use a 3.5 Aux input cable to your phone. [You select 1 channel on your radio for the Aux input, then plug in your phone]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  24. BJR

BJR

What did she think of that? :D

Davesblue50 and Budget36 like this.
  25. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

I took the easy route on my 53 Bel Air. I put a factory radio in the dash as a dummy (still lights up) and hid a modern stereo under driver seat. Going to eventually tie volume knob to a component amp. For now I'm just putting a stainless strip on the toe board so the remote will bounce to the radio under the seat

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    54delray likes this.
  26. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think you're talking about one of those converters. i had one back in the day. worked great, but the way it works is you have to tune your am radio to a spot where there's no station. correct? kinda like tuning a tv to channel 3 so you can play your betamax through it!

54delray likes this.
  27. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I am taking my 57 F100 stock round dial radio and adding a few new components to allow the FM band to be received. As far as the dial, well I will remove it and carefully route the FM tuning numbers in the dial and fill number grooves with white paint. Shooting for less than $50 to modify.

Kerrynzl likes this.