Register now to get rid of these ads!

History plywood bomber seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bct, Jun 10, 2018.

1. bct

bct

after reading Auliz's thread and admiring his choice in seating I was taken back to my days when I used to make curved plywood seating . some was rough frames (to be upholsterd) for office desk chairs and some was show wood , think mid century modern. I built hundreds like these rough frames

Curved-Plywood-Seat-Back-for-Office-Chair-Y-2007-1-.jpg

when I get a chance im going to build some bombers for my roadster. here are pics I have stolen from here mostly .

a9365ab1139043c7d338dd4e29f2f672.jpg

Wooden Seat.jpg

bomber seat 1.jpg

bomber seat2.jpg

bomber seat3.jpg

abe lugo, A Boner and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. bct

bct

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

That's a great idea. Plywood would be great to tack the upholstery to. Please show us non-woodworkers how.

INVISIBLEKID and bct like this.
  4. bct

bct

5. bct

bct

anyone else have experience with these? id love some more pics and info . thanks

FORDY 6 likes this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Been driving hot rods for more years then most. If your building a old style race car{Not a hotrod for cruisin},that works style wise,not good on your body,but depens how long your really planning on being in it. You plan on Cruisin,put real seats in,your only building racer for the trailer keep the butt boxs. Its not about workmenship so much,but what your doing. So much stuff I see used were it didn't ,like Moon tanks on cruisin rods an lots of other things. Hope ya don't take the note wrong,but just passing along what I know.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    flatheadpete, A 2 B, Kiwi 4d and 2 others like this.
  7. I certainly agree.^ Looks are one thing, but comfort has to be of importance. I'm sure there's a "cake and eat it too", but (butt), one will only know after mock up, and sitting static how things will come into play. When all is said and done, the first long ride will decide if your back and ass are comfortable.... I like the looks of the above, and many good pics/ideas, but skeptical in the driving world. I know it's just angles, and cushions......
    I'll keep watching.

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If anyone can make a comfortable wood seat you are the one...Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Some guys ride rigids some guys ride softails. Build what you want. They can be removed if you decide you are too old :cool:

bct and Stogy like this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

image.png image.png Cool hot rod with cool seats.....grabbed pics from Bangshift.

brEad, kidcampbell71 and bct like this.
  11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Wonder if those plywood military seats were used in WWII gliders as the plywood gliders were considered disposable after one time use.

12. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I think the comfort issue is with the solid bottom. Even with a cushion there isn't much give. Maybe consider a webbed bottom. The cushion will cover it. Should be more comfortable.

brEad likes this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine found some plywood seats from the war era and put them into his 30 coupe. They were cool but with out a real solid backbrace they started to separate and fail. Most aircraft seats were main to sit upright and were mount to the bulkheads.. There is a reason manufactures use metal

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This is a really Kool idea. I'm a trim carpenter by trade and have been kicking around ideas for my single seat project. I'm thinking there will be a wood seat built.

15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Dana is right about real aircraft seats mostly being used in racecars.That being said they are a lot more comfortable if you fabricate a cushion of about the dimension of a parachute pack------

16. A Boner

A Boner

This one!
    7B86966F-4DF8-4025-B09C-507A505BFAE9.jpeg

brEad likes this.
  17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Yes sir, I did build that. Just got the car on the road. last Saturday I drove about 15 miles in one trip, before that it was just a mile and back to the shop working out bugs. I did have a seat bottom cushion made from one inch foam and a o.d. Green canvas tarp cover. The seat was really quite comfortable.

bct likes this.
  18. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Just a few with the seat in the car. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

bct, A Boner and brEad like this.
  19. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotta say that Lil bug is so frigging cool!!!....the seat fits right in with the era

bct likes this.
  20. bct

bct

Love that 30s color green. Nice.

21. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Those are really cool seats.....

22. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

What kinda plane would they have been in...?

23. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

WWII gliders...maybe

24. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc