Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Lincoln Zephyr Taillight install

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ssrodder, Mar 8, 2020.

1. ssrodder

ssrodder
    from NE PA

Just about finishing up my 38 Ford cabriolet. Always liked the 39 Lincoln Zephyr taillights, but could never find a nice set. Well by accident I found a very nice set. Now I am considering installing them in place of the 38 39 type taillight. Since the rear fenders are finished and ready for final paint I am wondering if I am making a big mistake in trying to install the Zephyr taillights. I know they will require some additional body work, but just how much? Has anyone done this modification to a 38 39 Ford and what suggestions do you have before I start cutting up my perfect 38 fenders?

2. alchemy

alchemy

They will require sheetmetal work. I haven't held them side by side, but I'd guess they are 1/2" taller than 39 Fords. No way around it, it will need metal bending. A competent bodyman can handle it. A scaredy cat can't.

I'd probably hold the new light over the old spot and draw an outline. Then start hammering the old flange flatter/inward, and tap the new outer ridge upward from below. Might require some heat here and there to shrink some spots, and maybe stretch some others. Shouldn't ever need to pull the fender off the car.

3. ssrodder

ssrodder
    from NE PA

Thanks for the advise. I guess at this point I am getting to be a scary cat like you mention. I don't let other people work on my street rods. Did several times only to be disappointed with the results. I figure, if it going to get screwed up, I'll be the individual to do the screw up. Then I can get mad at myself and at some point stop thinking about it. (maybe)
    Isn't it funny when there is something wrong with your street rod your eyes are the first thing they look at. Other people come into my garage and never see what I am talking about, but I see it every day. Could be they are just trying to be nice and not hurt my feelings.