Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Paging Pgan - Build thread for the sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boatmark, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking good! Never considered tucking the battery behind the back seat. Lots of good tricks to be found in theses photos :)

loudbang likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Looking good. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

What's the tire/wheel sizes Pat?

loudbang likes this.
  4. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

The best part about being retired, for me, is no more deadlines. And that applies to car projects. Of course we had holidays and road trips, too. So it's been awhile. But people have been asking, so here's the latest on the '33 sedan.
    Oh, not only do I forget to check tire sizes, I almost forgot to mention: wheels are 6 and 7x15 with early Ford centers made by Wheel Smith, powder-coated white. Will have Ford caps, no rings. Rear tires are Michelin Defender P235-75-15 LTX; fronts are 155R15 Firestone F560 from Coker.
    OK, you asked for an update. The car is at North Hollywood Upholstery, which also did the tuck and roll in my gold '50 Ford custom. This one will be black and white. no458.JPG Cars in upholstery shops--especially busy ones--aren't much to look at. The only thing to see here (sort of) is new tack strips, chicken wire, and one layer of stretched padding over the stock top bows. I went over to solder the radio antenna wire to the chicken wire, which makes the best hidden antenna. The top insert will be white Mercedes convertible top material. no454.JPG no455.JPG Here's the new look for the old Subaru seats, which we hope will be supportive and comfortable for cross-country touring. no453.JPG And this is the Glide folding rear seat frame in its new clothes. Its main job will be holding suitcases. no456.JPG Shop owner/head upholsterer Pedro Lara shows me how one front door panel is looking, for my approval. Looks good to me. Headliner will be black vinyl, and carpets will be black cut pile with black binding. no457.JPG Still plenty of work to do, and of course it doesn't look pretty yet. But I think it will. This shop is plenty busy, but they're good at getting cars in and out. So I'll be patient. And we're looking forward to seeing Bill's two latest builds--two pretty amazing blown Willys Gassers--in his SCRC booth at GNRS in Pomona this weekend. That's next on the list. See you there?

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well worth the wait! Thanks for the update :)

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. louisb

louisb

Update! That will be a cool family cruzer for you and your lady.

loudbang likes this.
  7. I plan to stop by Bill's display area on Friday. I always stop to say hi as Bill and friends cruised to Americruise with us a few years ago.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  8. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Update time again. I got the '33 back from North Hollywood Upholstery 2-3 weeks ago, and I've gotta say it looks really good to me. But also usable. And hopefully comfortable for long cruises. I think it will be. So I've been busy doing lots of "finish its" like installing handles, fitting repro door sill plates (much work), and so on. Got the rear apron rubbed out and installed, and spent yesterday color sanding rear fenders. But figured I'd better finally stop and take a few photos...just in case anyone is still following this. The grille's been done (much work) quite a while, so I just hung it in place for pics. Finally getting close. no463.JPG
    no467.JPG
    no462.JPG no469.JPG

no471.JPG
    no475.JPG
    no476.JPG
    no477.JPG
    no478.JPG
    Whew. That's enough for today. Running boards, fenders, bumpers, and lights and it will be roadworthy. Still have to paint the hood, but it's in nice shape. Til next time.
    PG

Gasser 57, alfin32, bymanr and 35 others like this.
  9. The interior is perfect Pat. And it should be very serviceable on long hauls.
    It looks like you are on target for the LARS. I hope so, I really want to see the car in person.

10. 31aford

31aford
    from az

What are the seats from

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. louisb

louisb

Interior is simple yet tasteful. Like a good hot rod should be. Have you ever published much on your 56? I know I saw picks in your painting book but not much else.

Thanks,

—louis

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks fantastic! Did I miss what the plan for valve cover breathers/ oil fill is?

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Looks great Pat! Should be a fun car for y’all!

14. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Thanks for the update.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Looking good, dash looks great

loudbang likes this.
  16. I think they were Subaru.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yeah, Pat calls them "Love Seats".

1947knuck, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

We are all still here waiting for updates. :) Interior looks GREAT.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  19. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Glad you like the threads. I do. Kudos to North Hollywood Upholstery. To answer questions: I was looking for seats from a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry, but couldn't find any at Pick-A-Part. So I found these in some sort of Suburu SUV (Outback?)--tree-hugger car, and only clean interior in the whole place. $50 each. Donnie at So. City R&C made mounting brackets to mount them to the '33 floor, retaining stock adjuster mechanism. Both Anna and I can drive the car.
    As for the breather/PCV: I ended up using the small PCV mounted in the rear of the manifold near the distributor, and plumbed to the inlet at the carb base, as shown previously. Unfortunately the cool little "breather" I mounted in a threaded hole drilled in the front of the manifold blew oil out with any RPM (needed a baffle?). So I screwed in a hose nipple instead and ran a hose to the inlet on the bottom of the air cleaner, as you can see in the last engine shot above. I've started, stopped, and even driven the car quite a bit, and this seems to work fine--no oil blow-by at all.
    Oh yes...Sorry Dean, this car ain't goin' to no stinkin' car shows (like indoor-type). We're heading to the Austin Roundup as soon as it's done, and it'll be nice to drive to Pleasnton (for a change from the topless roadster), but otherwise, it's a driver--a ROADEE. Now it's time to get back to work on it.
    Cheers, PG

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Clever! Thanks for refreshing our memories! The hose to the air cleaner is a neat idea

21. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

looking great as one would expect from a long time hot rodder /builder not over done just cool

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and brad2v like this.
  22. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Looking great! Thanks for sharing with us.

23. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Since we're all in this together, for whatever duration, here's some more reading material for diversion. I've been behaving myself (difficult) and staying home. But home includes the garage, which is good. So here's the latest on the '33 project...or, what I did yesterday. no479.JPG With the rear apron in place, the next job was to cut and buff the rear fenders, followed by a hand-rub. Meantime, I installed the black fender welt to the body, using black 3M weatherstrip adhesive on the "flap" and carefully (and liberally) taping it in place
    no480.JPG
    no481.JPG

Next was bolting the fender in place, after cutting and gluing fender welt to the lower portion that fits to the apron, leaving enough "tail" to tuck back under and fit under the lowest fender-apron bolt. This requires trimming some "flap" with small scissors and X-acto knife to make the bend.

no482.JPG

I like to use spray-can undercoat inside fenders both to reduce rock "stars," and to give a finished look. Don't use cheap stuff. I prefer 3M Professional, and it takes some practice to learn how to get it on evenly, without runs or globs.
    no483.JPG
    Next was running board installation.

no484.JPG

no485.JPG

So, other than taillights and bumper, the back end is together again. Plus I got the front fender braces and splash aprons installed. Next is to color-sand and buff the front fenders, among many other things. But I have plenty of projects to keep me at home...in the garage and otherwise.

24. louisb

louisb

Nice self portrait. :)

--louid

Hamtown Al, kidcampbell71 and Jiminy like this.
  25. John Starr

John Starr

Thanks Pat! I’ll be avoiding my usual walk-ins for while, but this is a nice substitute.

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Interesting all around, as always. I particularly like the tortoise-shell behind the instruments, and its contrast with the black paint.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. 48bill

48bill

Really great build.

28. 33Doll

33Doll

Man! There just is nothing like real black lacquer paint! The way Henry Ford did it! I sure wish I had the patience to do bodywork like that! But I hate bodywork! I like metal fabrication all day long but I just don’t have patience for all that sanding and spray, and dust! Tedious......hours snd hours!
    But damn that looks good!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Looking great, Pat. Can't believe Bill gave you such a hard time over the a/c vents. LOL

30. 33Doll

33Doll

Hi Pat!
    Really enjoying this building! Did you happen to take pictures of how and what you used for the tax strip in the new channel set up? A lot of guys on the forum I’ve been wanting to know how to do these tops and I’ve been trying to help as much as I could when I took mine apart, but a lot of people are trying to come up with a way to put a new tack strip material in the existing channel if they have it which I have mine but that Asphalt material needs to be either stabilized or replaced.
    I hope you got pictures of how that was done? Thanks a lot
    -Rick
    Adjustments.JPG

chryslerfan55 and 31aford like this.