Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Model A Seat Frame with Wings...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

seats 014.jpg seats 015.jpg View attachment 2654780 View attachment 2654779 seats 016.jpg View attachment 2654777

Hey guys I appreciate you asking about these seat frames on this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ord-seat-guide.863578/page-2#post-10488451but thought instead of Hyjacking that thread it was best to start my own. This is a new proto type that I have been wanting to build for some time now. Mainly because you guys have been asking for them. My thought is to standarize on the mounting system and make them for several different years and models. Im thinking the Fords 28 thru 36 and anything else where there is a want. I made this one for 46Chief who is going to install it into his Model A coupe very soon.
    This frame has the adjustable back and flip up base with seat sliders to adjust to your leg length. Im bulding the seat back with tight bend corners so it will fill up the wings all the way to the top. Im open for suggestions on improvements...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Dirty Dug, Packrat, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't have a use for one, but I sure admire your work.

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Looks great!

My only concern would be the handle on the side may be in the way or out of reach in some cars.

4. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Looks good. Look forward to seeing it in a coupe with upholstery.

5. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Damn, You do Good Work.........Jeff

6. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Good thought... I built this one in my Model A so I know this one is fine. Being I hand build all my seats I will have to remember to make them narrow enough to slide your hand between the seat and side of the car. Thanks for the heads up! And thanks for the props guys. I try hard to build quality stuff, Probably too picky! LOL

catdad49 likes this.
  7. daddylama

daddylama

that's an awfully nice looking seat frame! i really like the base flipping forward for storage/access...

8. 46Chief

46Chief

So can't wait to get my hands on it. It's freaking beautiful!
    If anyone has any recommendations on a upholstery guy in the Los Angeles area that pays attention to the details, I'd appreciate the leads. Maybe I should reopen the "So-Cal upholstery shops" Thread (no pun intended)

catdad49 likes this.
  9. Keither

Keither

I'm building a '32 five window and have been looking for a stock seat with no luck. That seat you are putting together is sweet and would work for me.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This is the type frame I want for my '55 F100. Traditional roll at the top, recessed tuck and roll on the back and bottom, and built in lumbar at the seat leading edge. This frame would be right.
    What about hinging and latching the back to hinge forward?

11. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

My goal is to keep the winged seat at or under the list price of the competitions standard seats. I'm still fine tuning how the wings mount to the frame. Hope to have the different shapes for the different years in a week or so. I just need to visit some buddies and make patterns. Thanks again for the comments and feed back on our new product. No one else offers anything like this so let me know what your looking for. M.T.

12. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

The problem with that would be the bind on the two cushions... The movement of the bottom cushion would be pushing against the back cushion unless you made a gap between the two. People aren't used to seeing gaps so I don't think it would go over very well. But I like the out of the box thinking!

catdad49 likes this.
  13. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Metaltwister, Just a thought here. I have a 36 Chevy Standard Coach and since the car does not have a trunk (flat back) the back of the rear seat is hinged at the bottom to allow access to the small storage area behind the seat. The seat back actually tilts forward from the top or package tray and is originally held in place with a leather strap. I just wanted to pass this on in case you have another request for a hinged back. When in place the gap between the seat back and seat bottom is minimal.
    Don't know if this tidbit is helpful or not. Keep up the Good Work............Jeff

catdad49 likes this.
  14. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Good info and I have no problem duplicating it as it has proven to work well. Just like the 36 coupe seat back panels lift up to access behind the seats. Im looking at how to make that happen as well. Love the ideas guys I hope you keep them coming! Thanks

catdad49 likes this.
  15. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I got one of metal twisters seats and i like it a lot. I wish i would have had that wing option. My adjuster is pretty close to the door but i don't care because i don't adjust it when I'm driving anyway. I wouldn't want to sacrifice any ass room for the adjuster. So its perfect as is.

catdad49 likes this.
  16. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Actually you have one of my earlyer designed seat frames where I mounted the recliner mechanism on the out side edge of the frame then caping it with an cover. I have since changed things up so the recliner is now inboarded into the seat frame and it get covered by the side upholstry, another words its a smooth side with just the adjuster stem sticking out. It is quite a bit more work on my end but it does save valuable space and gives the seat end a cleaner look... like you say when its installed you cant see it anyway. Thanks for jumping in here.

catdad49 likes this.
  17. 117harv

117harv

I have one suggestion, although more work, could the adjustment lever be moved to the front edge of the seat to keep the side/wing cleaner?

Very nice work, tight and gradual bends in the tubing where needed, tilt bottom is also a great feature, again nice work and design.

catdad49 likes this.
  18. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I was thinking of developing a long rod lever handle that would look more retro'ish than the levers I now use.

catdad49 likes this.
  19. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Sent you a message regarding a seat like this for a 34 ford 5 window coupe.
    Thanks. Love the look of the new seat with the side panels.
    Jason

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

catdad49 likes this.
  20. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

WOW... Thanks guys for all the inquires. Truth is I don't have all the answers on these seats yet. There is a ton of work to figure out how to ship them, can I get them all in one box, can I make the wings in a way where they are affordable. As well as a lot of production cost questions I need to get my arms around before I can quote prices. I need one week to get things sorted out and then I can quote pricing that I can feel good about. Thanks for understanding.

catdad49 likes this.
  21. Since you are staying open to ideas.... Why not just make the wings of shaped, high quality plywood with radius end edges? They upholster nicely that way. Could bolt to the seat structure from the bottom using t nuts in the wood and a metal plate in the base.
    Thinking out of the box with ya.

catdad49 likes this.
  22. Do you provide foam as well?

Steve

23. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  24. WAITING FOR YOU TO OFFER THE 3 WINDOW SEAT WITH THE SIDE WINGS........AS I NEED ONE.

25. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Do you have plans to make them avaliable (with out wings of course) for model a pickups ? I would be interested in one for mine, as well as one for my 36 3 window in the future. Bill

catdad49 likes this.
  26. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

As stated on Sunday...

WOW... Thanks guys for all the inquires. Truth is I don't have all the answers on these seats yet. There is a ton of work to figure out how to ship them, can I get them all in one box, can I make the wings in a way where they are affordable. As well as a lot of production cost questions I need to get my arms around all this before I can quote prices. I'm swamped at the moment trying to get all the seats out that were sold over the Fathers day special here on the Hamb. I need one week to get things sorted out and then I can quote pricing that I can feel good about. Thanks for understanding. If your looking for wingless seat frame check out my web page @ www.hotrodseats.com I build custom sized seats as well as some standard sized seat frames. Thanks for being patient

27. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

So I think I found a good way to mount the wings that fits all the criteria for strength, shipping, and looks. What do you guys think? It is fully adjustable for different upholstery thickness and removable for boxing and shipping as well as functional.

seats 018.jpg seats 020.jpg seats 022.jpg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    catdad49 likes this.
  28. clem

clem

Anything ever come of this ?

29. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Well I hope so being this is a 2014 post! We still offer this configuration of frame and have built several to date. We are quick to point out that the wings are for appearance only with no added strength to the frame. Also once installed just a small portion of the wing is visible with the doors open. But thanks for asking!

clem and kidcampbell71 like this.