Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What sbc aftermarket intake were available in the 50 to early 60s?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, May 19, 2016.

1. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Cal Custom made those valve covers beginning in 1955. I have a new Offenhauser 6x2 and 2x4 intake if you are interested.

1Nimrod, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  2. What intake did you use to do that with?? I really like the way that looks and have an early vette 2 x 4 intake I was thinking of doing that with. But the way the carb flanges and runners are I don't think it would work well.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that if you picked up a few Hot rod Magazines from late 55 up though 63 the adds would show you what was new when. Plus after the engines started being put in rods they usually had at least one in a feature that was tricked out. The Honest Charley adds in those days usually told you what was the hot lick at the time.
    I'd go along with the factory dual 4 setup, I had one on my T bucket and wish I had never traded that setup off when I put that engine in my 48.

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's an Offenhauser 360 2 x 4 manifold. I was going to go with an early vette 2 x 4 manifold too, but this came available and I was easily talked into it. Glad I was, cause I do love the way it turned out. It looks bitchin and it's unique, makes it a conversation piece at events. It was set up by Dick York at Dick's Hot Rod Carbs. It actually works very well, though not perfect, but I think that's pretty common with multiple carb setups. I haven't spent much time trying to dial it in yet, it's pretty fresh still, just enjoying driving it too much to stop and spend much time tweaking it. Here's another view from the other side:

R. Hasselbrock 2x2 for SBC 001b.JPG

1Nimrod, MO_JUNK, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  5. You mention valve covers. Finned aluminum was in. Cal Custom, Moon, Offy etc. Also a good score was the Vette covers. My next hot rod gets a 301" small block (remember those guys) trips or 327, vette covers and rams horns or block huggers.

1Nimrod, Deuces and 504640 like this.
  6. A lot of the Chevys I remember from the 60,s had the cast iron intake and AFB carb from a 300 HP 327. One 55 I remember had the factory 2 four intake and two really small AFB carbs. The guy said the carbs where off a 273 Barracuda? I still have a set of the old stagger bolt valve covers fimmed and a C4B intake. also I have a stock two four intake and corvette covers.

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. Anyone know which company manufactured the first aftermarket single 4 barrel intake manifold for a small block Chevy?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Falcon George would know if he was still on here. JW

Deuces likes this.
  9. I think it would have been for a 1955 -265 engine. So it would have the provision for the Temp sender at the rear drivers side.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Just mentioning this but, I had an early edelbrock 3-2 manifold for I believe a 55-56 chevy 265. Watch out putting those early manifolds on later 327 ect... heads. The intake ports are so much smaller you can have vacuum leaks at the corners of the ports. Just mentioning this. It will run wide open but will have a pronounced dead cyl at idle. Ask me how I know. LOL. Lippy

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I spent a couple of hours this morning looking through hot rod magazines from 1962-65 and found in April 62 this ad for a Creitz single 4 barrel intake and no other ads or mentions until the December 65 issue with an ad introducing the new C4B. I also noticed that at least 90% of the cars featured had multiple carburetion mostly multiple 2 barrels. there were very few cars featured with single 4 barrels....

CFB30392-0CEB-48E7-8594-BF539C911E0F.jpeg C3E4BB15-E3DC-40FF-8290-E7EF8D46972A.jpeg

1Nimrod, AHotRod, bowie and 2 others like this.
  12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Edelbrock came out with the C4B first....I'd say that they came out mid 60s...but the C3B and later the C3BX came out years later. The earliest dated Holley 3 barrel carb I've ever seen was 1968...so the manifold couldn't have come out before the carb. I'd peg the C3B coming out as 1968 and the X version even after that. So as far as the OP's question, as far as Edelbrock goes..the C4B is the only single 4 barrel intake that might be early enough...but missed his mark by a few years.

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. de-fenders

de-fenders

I have a Fenton aluminum 3x2 sbc intake stashed away, I believe its from that era

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. The gas crunch started in Oct 1973. Carter took office in 1977. OPEC raised oil prices and had an embargo for US shipments. Also that was the start of emissions standards which started 1972-1974.

1Nimrod likes this.