Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical those magnum tube axles that have a 2'' narrower spring/perch mounting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nobby, Mar 8, 2020.

1. nobby

nobby

if for example I had a stock 40 wishbone, kept it unsplit and bent the perch pin mounting inwards 2 inches per side, am I going to be in trouble with the pitman arm

also do they re-pop a 37 style perch pin with an eye on it so as to mount a sway bar.

also, how do I measure it to see if its actually a 4 or 5 inch drop.

will it sit too low if I use a reversed eye spring....

do 1942> springs happen to be 45 - 45.5 inches wide to the centres?

2. Sounds like that axle is meant for the earlier 28-34 front end with the spring over the top.In the long run you would be ahead to buy a axle that fits the later wishbone pin centers.You can find dropped originals,or new made forged to fit.Tube axles aren't normally used on stock wishbones because of twisting in the front end.Tubes work best with 4 bar front ends.

Chili Phil likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sorry, but you have it exactly backwards. Stock, unsplit wishbones DO NOT induce twist in the axle, whether I beam or tube. If they did, how would you account for Ford installing tube axles on ‘37/‘40 V8 60 equipped vehicles. They had the same wishbone design as 85 hp models.

As the axle ends move up and down over road surface variations, the wish bone ‘rotates’ with it and pivots on the ball joint mount at the rear of the wishbone. Whereas, with split bones, if the axle end moves, up or down, on one side only, the anchored end of split bone induces twist in the axle beam.....I beams can readily handle that motion, not so much tubes.

You are correct that 4 bar setups accommodate a tube axle.......as well as a beam style.

Ray

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you brought the wishbone ends inwards two inches per side on an axle that's two inches narrower between the perch pins as you've said, you'd be two inched too narrow with the wishbone. Narrow the wishbone by one inch per side and you should fit the axle mentioned.

Smartass answer? Yeah probably ;)

Chris

6. nobby

nobby

Hello, kind of....
    the stock 40 bone is 38.5 on the perches
    32 ford is 36.5 on perches
    these magnum axles are based upon a 32 axle but are 2 inches narrower than that!! = 34.5
    I was scratching my head thinking someone had put the wrong info on the titnernet, then I found out that I had actually bought a magnum. great!
    My concern is the steering box / pitman arm
    also getting a spring
    plus now having to buy extra drop rhd steering arms...…..

I do actually quite like the look of it too!!
    plus I know I will be at about 56 inches track!! = great
    I was at 59.5 with the stock axle, up in the ari and wheels sticking out.

7. alchemy

alchemy

If you squeeze the wishbone together on the front end to fit your narrower axle, it's going to get longer. Your axle will be farther forward. You can either shorten the wishbone, or move the rear mount backwards.

Yes, you might be getting close to the steering box, but only you can answer for sure. How flat the spring is will make a big difference, because maybe the wishbone and pitman would never contact if they are on different planes.

How much an axle is advertised as dropped is misleading. You can measure your stock axle by holding a straight edge tight on top of the kingpin boss, then measuring down to the perch. Do the same on the new axle and you will have the difference. But's that's not what the manufacturer is calling the amount of drop. He's saying his new axle has 4" of drop, when in reality it's only 2.5" more than stock.

teach'm likes this.
  8. nobby

nobby

IMG_20200310_134544[1].jpg
    [​IMG]

deep dropped right hand drive steering arms
    BUT says for 5'' dropped axles
    I have no idea what drop the axle is, I have no tie rod ends at the moment, I have small drop steering arms,

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  9. nobby

nobby

VCW - vintage chassis works not magnum....
    so its a 4'' axle?
    so I need 3.75 extra drop steering arms
    do chassis engineering still make rhd forged steering arms extra drop

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020