Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical corvette at auction what is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Mar 8, 2020.

1. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Bought this corvette body at auction today. It's for a go kart i guess. looks be a 57 model. Says apex on both sides. paid $110 . I am looking for more info on it. Anybody know about them or there history? I'm sure it's not a homemade one. Yes those are faucet handles front and back. A friend says he has a go kart it would on. IMG_20200307_135259.jpg IMG_20200307_135305.jpg IMG_20200307_135319.jpg IMG_20200307_135339.jpg IMG_20200307_135348.jpg

alfin32, Lepus, dana barlow and 10 others like this.
  2. Jokester

Jokester

A friend had one. He had some third hand hearsay info, don't know how accurate it is. Apparently each Corvette dealer got one to use as a promotional item. They could have a drawing at the end of the year to see which Corvette buyer got it. I suppose the promotion varied depending on the dealership. Maybe it went to his kids or his favorite brother-in-law. Who knows for sure?

3. Hombre

Hombre

Can't help with information about it, but I do know it is damn cool.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Remembering back when our two girls were younger and we would vacation in Lake George, New York, we would travel to a place called Great Escape. It was built around the original Story Town Park. There would be similar bodies on the little gas driven cars that the little ones could drive. These would putt putt around a set track with a steel rail in the center of the road so as to keep the cars in place. I know how we would hope to get the Corvette when waiting in line for our turn to drive. Every so often we would get lucky and be at the right place in line.

6. [​IMG]
    Very rare I'll bet. Please show build pics when it comes together.

7. Deuces

Deuces

8. town sedan

town sedan

In the mid(?) 60's one of my good friends and his older brother had a Corvette go cart. The story he tells is they won it in a raffle sponsored by a Chevy dealership here in Kansas City. I've seen pictures of it, but it's been a long time since I last saw the photos, I think it may have had the Stingray styled body.

Anyway great find there! What are your plans for it? Garage art or are you going to build it?
    -Dave

9. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Inquiring minds want to know... :D

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I think that came off carnival ride.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Yep, Carnival ride, chevy would have never sent it to dealers, not an accurate enough example of a Corvette and especially not with the Apex name on it...…………………..

12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

going to try to put on go kart frame.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Cool find . Anything related to our favorite hobby is two thumbs up .:) Would i personally want it ?.... Heck YEAH !!!! Hanging from my rafters in the shop.:D

14. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Gasser go Kart? :cool::cool::cool:

loudbang, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's what I'm thinking, too. I remember the old Opryland in Nashville TN had a couple of those tracks, one was T models styled cars, the other was sports car styled. Had about a 5hp Briggs on them, set up like a golf cart, mash the pedal and go, let off and they braked. I remember the handlers would jump on the back of them sometimes and reach in and bypass the governor, the little shits would move then!

loudbang, 52HardTop, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. dwollam

dwollam

I don't think it is a Corvette. Looks more AC, Cobra, or kit sports car styling. Side panels look Corvette though.

Dave

loudbang, 49ratfink, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  17. greybeard360

greybeard360

There was an episode of Ricks Restorations (? name) where a guy brought them a Corvette body like that one to make a go cart out of.

18. I think carnival ride too. By chance do the hood and trunk ornaments pivot? They look like they could be on-off switches so the attendent could shut down the "ride" quickly in an emergency.

19. I was thinking the same thing. The styling looks almost like a Corvette/Ferrari/Maserati A6 mixture.

20. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

A friend of mine made the 59-60 style Corvette body in his fiberglass shop. I guess he made them for Manco in Ft Wayne In. and they put them on a go-cart frame and engine and sent then to the Sonic drive-ins for a giveaway promotion.

21. I've seen the dealership promos too, and they did have better detailing. 20180110_145607.jpg But that body is Cool. You could put it on a riding mower. I picked this body up at the Carlisle swap meet. My grandson likes mowing the lawn better now. lol I want to add lights, and paint when I find time. 500.jpg

alfin32, LOST ANGEL, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  22. Here's a picture I took at the Hershey swap meet this year. A 1956 Corvette dealer promo. Hope it helps a little. I haven't seen your body before though. But real COOL. Ron..... 20191111_093807.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

My parents opened a bowling alley in KC in 1960 and AMF gave us a corvette go kart as a promotional raffle prize. My parents some how managed to get another one for my brother and me.

24. Deuces

Deuces

That is neat!.... :)

loudbang likes this.
  25. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Seeing the Apex badge on there makes me think it used to be an amusement ride. Apex was an amusement park company.

town sedan, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Reminds me of the old Autotopia ride at Disneyland CA.

town sedan, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  27. You know... I wonder if it's the body off an old Shriners Go Kart?

28. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

The answer is above for those that don’t read back far......
    Anyway this story:
    “Apparently each Corvette dealer got one to use as a promotional item.”
    I see the same thing down here with lawnmowers , local company made a series of mowers “Mustang” “corvette” and “Monaro” these pop up all the time at crazy prices with this story ( Gm dealer or Ford dealer blah blah) , which is Just rubbish, I guess started by someone trying to make a killing on his mower or plastic corvette body?

29. Boodlum

Boodlum

lol
    Proportions look like a take-off on Dave MacDonald's old "funny car" road racer.
    [​IMG]

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if it had anything to do with Chevrolet it would look like a Corvette. it doesn't so it is not.

loudbang likes this.