Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire grooving

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pothole, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Pothole

Pothole

I just picked up a tire grooving tool and want to attempt grooving my 750 tires for dirt and sand. I want to groove horizontally across the thread but I am not sure how far apart I should cut the grooves. Any knowledge on grooving techniques would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ive got one of those tools. I used it to regroove big truck tires. Its not rocket science.

3. Wonderful little tools. Practice on an old tire for a few minutes. Don,t cut into tiny pieces of gravel ( blade gets damaged ) Don,t dig in to deep with the blade ( blade overheats and melts ). Warning, don,t hold your hand infront of the tool :oops: ( but to the side). One moment of lack of concentration and you cut to shallow, the thing shoots into your hand and you have a new scar. Mine is 220 volt with 4 different heat settings . btw if you see the white cords coming through , your to deep but no panic :rolleyes:, just adjust depth . Like OldWolf says, it,s easy. Once you get the hang of it you will want to do more and more.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would groove your tires at more of an angle than straight across. After years of dirt track racing I have found that diagonal across the tire works better on loose dirt tracks.

5. loudbang and dwollam like this.
  6. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks for your recommendation, what degree angle would you recommend and should the other wheel be angled in opposite direction.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Pothole

Pothole

Rocket science I know, its grooving I am interested in. I just don't want to start cutting up new tires before I check with the HAMB pros

loudbang likes this.
  8. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks for the videos, I have a hearing issue so I didn't catch everything said but it did show me the process in action. Looks like the spacing I wanted to know is around 1.25"?

loudbang and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  9. I am no expert on the subject. I used to crew a short track car, (for a free pit passes). The guy that owned it grooved street tires for the car and what he did was lay his hand on the tire for distance about 3-3.5" between grooves (he had smallish hands). if that helps at all.

Just got off the phone with the granddaughter she says 4" between the grooves on their sand rail.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I know...But I had to.
    Enjoy...

loudbang and GordonC like this.
  11. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks for the "music to groove by"

loudbang likes this.
  12. southcross2631

southcross2631

We had to run a spec tire one year that was a slick hard asphalt tire that the track owner got a deal on and made everybody in hobby stock run them . we grooved them at about a 30 degree angle then ran them through a tire softener that I won't tell you what it was . Trade secret. Siping gets heat in the tires quicker but you are using them for drag racing on the beach . I assume. Race of Gentleman type stuff.
    Siping grooves won't really help in that type of racing. you want real grooves and the angle you use will help clean out the grooves for better traction.

13. The girl and her fiancé run the sand rail in two classes that are partially separated by tire choice. One class requires narrowish street tire that they groove. The other class you can run a paddle tire. The girl grooves the tires with an electric chain saw. She says and I quote, "A grooving tool is too damned much like work Grandpa." :D She says run the grooves strait across, she has tried angled grooves but says that that just don't bit as well.

14. Leadbeater

Leadbeater

done a fair bit of it for dirt track and derby stuff. my tool is much different and looks like a jigsaw.

15. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

So you need bite for straight line takeoff, left turns, right turns, top speed stability?
    Each will have an optimal groove pattern.

As to your original question, I'm guessing you want straight line takeoff traction, so go with the 90* grooves and try a 4 inch separation. Test them for traction, then you can cut at 2 inches or even at 1 inch blocks later if you need to.

I found That a dusting of baby powder helped the iron move better o

porknbeaner likes this.
  16. Pothole

Pothole

I like the idea of starting with 4" and then sneaking up on it. Yes it is being done for straight line drag and it is with TROG in mind. Thanks to all for your input

kevinrevin likes this.