Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ranchero build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sarahSERENADE, Mar 7, 2020.

1. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Hey guys, just found this forum which has already helped me out quite a bit so decided to tag along! I'm in PA and own a 64 ranchero with quite an extensive history in my family. My grandfather bought it off the showroom floor and it has stayed in the family ever since. When my dad and I found it in his brothers yard wasting away, he brought it back for a graduation present to work on. So far I've been accumulating parts to put in it, but just recently started digging in. I took out the original straight 6 to put in a 302 with a c4 (insert mutual groan from standard transmission guys here). I have a degree in classic car restoration and custom paint and graphics, so it was literally a perfect graduation present. And before anyone asks, it's not for sale

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. upspirate

upspirate

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Welcome from Detroit

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome from the Windy City! Are you planning on starting a build thread for the Ranchero? It would be nice to see how it progresses.

5. Welcome from nearby Maryland. Enjoy your HAMBtime and your Ranchero project.........Don.

6. jmkporsche

jmkporsche

Welcome. I hope to see some pics of the build!

sarahSERENADE likes this.
  7. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado.

Ron Funkhouser and sarahSERENADE like this.
  8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Welcome and we really like pictures around here!:D

sarahSERENADE likes this.
  9. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Absolutely! This weekend I was really sick.. go figure with all this caronavirus stuff going around, why wouldn't I? Anyway, so far we have taken the motor out and resprayed the engine compartment. We have also removed the doors, fenders, and all of the interior to fix the floors. Friday we had cut the floors out in order to replace them. The drivers side is in ROUGH shape. My goal is to have it road worthy (that does NOT mean pretty) by August, when my car club has their main show. I will post pictures later when I have my phone handy! Thank you for your interest!!

10. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

So first I'd like to start this off by saying this is a very special build for me. This car has been in my family since day one. My grandfather bought this car brand new off the showroom floor. They had to take the doors off the showroom to get it out of the building! Anyway, through the years it has witnessed a lot in our family, including my dad getting his license in the car (you can see him in the orange shirt in one of my posts) and many drive in movie theaters. The first two pictures are when it was first brought to Pennsylvania from Oregon on January 17, 2016. It was my graduation present for completing my degree in classic car restoration and custom paint and graphics at Ohio technical college. What an exciting day it was for me!!! IMG_0381.jpeg IMG_0378.jpeg

11. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

February, 2017 this is when she finds her final resting place for a while. This is me and my husband with the keys to our brand new house, the house that miraculously could hold all my hopes and dreams. You can see my dad in orange unloading her in to my awesome garage from their house (it's only about 10 minutes away, I love my parents too much to move too far) IMG_0304.jpeg IMG_0873_exported_133_1584317767762.jpeg IMG_0870_exported_1235_1584317797149.jpeg

12. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

February 23, 2020 was the day I got completely unsatisfied with the way things have been going. I had taken the hood off of the car, but other than that, not too much was going on with her. It was a really nice day and my husband said "what would you like to do today?" We'll.... He soon found out lol. It took the whole day and we both hurt the next day, but it was so entirely worth it. IMG_20200223_152555130.jpg IMG_20200223_172435432.jpg

13. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

February 25 I cleaned up the engine compartment and ripped out the seats and carpet to reveal the monstrosity of a floor I have. Those grey areas are the concrete floor in my garage. Not too fantastic.... At this point I was just done... Especially when I put my foot through the floor trying to get out.

Attached Files:

AHotRod, tb33anda3rd, scott27 and 7 others like this.
  14. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

March 8, I sprayed the engine compartment and fit the floor pan panels to get an idea of what I was working with. I am still waiting for the final one to show up. I posted a picture of where my foot when through the floor without anything in the way of the picture. I do not have any pictures of my current situation, where I started cutting the floor.. I will try to get some tomorrow when it is light out, but I think I caught you guys up on my story. And if you've read this far, WOW!!! Lol

Attached Files:

15. Fixed that for you. It was hurting my neck.:D;)...............Don. IMG_0304.jpeg

16. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Thanks Don, didn't figure it was too important, but I guess it might as well be! And just so you know, the white that you see every once in a while on the Ranchero is original. My uncle had the car before I did and got a macco special on it. Oh well!

scott27, OFT, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you got a pretty good start on it, and plenty of help too! This is gonna be good!
    Glad you're feeling better!

18. Great start on a nice project. A little bit every day, and it will get there!

19. Hiya!
    Whereabouts in PA are you?
    What club are you affiliated with? I used to be in the Broken Rods down in Delaware, but left a few years ago. Met a lot of other club folks through those guys.

rbrewer and sarahSERENADE like this.
  20. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

scott27 and rbrewer like this.
  21. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

I am in the Wheels of Time Street Rod Association. We are located in the Lehigh Valley. We are a non-profit organization which contributes all of our proceeds back into our local charities. We hold a monthly cruise night (starting in April until October) and in August we have our big car show. We get a lot of people coming from out of state, so if you're close by, definitely check us out. Our website is www.wheelsoftime.org if anyone is interested in checking us out! Its truly a great group of guys (and ladies!) to work with, and we have a little bit of everything to entertain anyone!

Tman, scott27, rbrewer and 3 others like this.
  22. Oh yeah, WoT are good folks!! I've never been up to their big show, but I know a lot of folks who do go.

rbrewer and sarahSERENADE like this.
  23. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

You should come! We all have a lot of fun!! Its a huge show, (no one actually believes me when I say that until they see it themselves) I work at the flea market, so if you ever come, go to the flea market and ask for Sarah!!

but when I say there is something for everyone, I really mean it. Ladies world, kids crafts, bingo, MGA auction, live bands, wine tours, featured guests (one time was the Fonz, hes really cool), 50/50 auction, adult games, ect.. you name it, we got it! We try to make it fun for everyone.

24. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Welcome!! The more Rancheros the better!!! My son and I did a 1964 a while back. Been having lots of fun with it over the years. They are great little crucks lol. Not many around and they get people’s attention. Good luck with your build!! I’ll attach a couple of our junk so you can know what not to do!! Lol Adjustments.JPG
    One in the street version...
    IMG_4825.JPG
    One in the current stage... soon to be back on the street..

25. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

That is absolutely amazing. I'm planning on painting mine a Cadillac white, with a purple dash and purple and black interior. It'll be different.. and that's what I want.

26. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

Wasn't feeling that great so took a couple day hiatus but got back to it today. That's my dad helping me fit and modify my floor pans so they fit correctly. Going to start to have actual floors tomorrow!! Cannot wait! IMG_20200317_183359062.jpeg

27. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

So this happened tonight. Moving along! So excited to get this bad boy on the road!! IMG_20200318_195328460.jpeg

28. Nice :) Keep after it!

sarahSERENADE and 427 sleeper like this.
  29. sarahSERENADE

sarahSERENADE

today I have been grinding the other side. The drivers side is 90% completed but I will need to make a template for the toe boards and make it out of sheet metal. Sorry I didn't post yesterday, When I got in last night I had a lot I had to do for the house and family. But basically we just welded the front floor pan in. Nothing too exciting... and it won't be for a while. Weekends are spent on my dad's car (the 1939 Chevy Sedan Master deluxe.) So you probably will not hear from me until Monday. Have a great weekend folks!

scott27, raven, dana barlow and 7 others like this.
  30. Go girl. Love the project and what all of you are doing. Pa. girl, that is great. Lets race! lol.:)

scott27, Blue One, Stogy and 4 others like this.