Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical where can I get my Rochester carb castings refinished?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joel, Mar 7, 2020.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A recent thread has motivated me to get my multi carb set up ready to go. I think the first thing is to get the zinc castings refinished. Any recommendations?

loudbang likes this.
  2. BigChief

BigChief

loudbang likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Eastwood has a carb renew product . Maybe google it or check for plating/ refinish products and services . Has too be plenty of options out there .

4. carbking

carbking

The original finish was zinc chromate (not di-chromate).

The clean castings were dipped in a cold dip solution of nitric, sulphuric, and chromic acids. Definitely NOT a "user-friendly" solution.

Chromic acid (the same active ingredient in chroming steel pieces) is on the EPA "no-no" list. According to various internet sources it is a carcinogen, and also causes dementia.

There are very few companies that today have the approved waste water facilities to be able to use this stuff. There are a number of dyes and paints that approximate this finish to varying degrees.

Caviat: BE CAREFUL if you are a DIYer!

Jon.

Hnstray and loudbang like this.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Eastwood.

[​IMG]

Cheap, easy and no nasty chemicals.

6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know it's dangerous and I don't want to try it myself. I know Holley will refinish it's own,but I don't know about other manufacturers. thanks for your info.

loudbang likes this.
  7. You might try a local plating shop that does zinc plating. As stated, the gold color is from chromate, which is a conversion coating. It adds corrosion resistance. The problem with the gold chromate is the hexavalent chromium in the solution. It's also the active ingredient for the corrosion protection.
    Not sure if the plating shop would do it, but they are the place for the correct chromate coating.

loudbang likes this.
  8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I found a guy in Wisconsin to refinish the castings on my rochester carbs. Sparky's Carburetor Service.

9. J53

J53
    from WI

Did mine with the Eastwood spray also but “dusted” them with a very fine coat of silver to brighten them up slightly.

IMG_2443.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice looking setup. Good job!

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

update on carb refinish. The guy in Wis. does electroplating , which is not factory finish; I don't know if that is good or bad. I got a referral for a guy in Canada, but he can't get stuff back and forth across the border right now. I have the Eastwood paint now: I may half to give it a test shot.

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used the Eastwood paint. The carbs I did look nice, but not "factory".

I think "J53" may be on to something with the "silver dusting". It will probably look "nicer" than plain paint, but even less like "factory". It all depends on what you want.

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. I just ordered the “cad” spray. I’m going to try dusting on from 15 in. away or farther

14. J53

J53
    from WI

I was thinking about this and I believe I sprayed them silver first and then dusted the Eastwood stuff on. I just think the color of the Eastwood stuff is blah. I suggest doing a test piece first.

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Noted. I have several test pieces to work with. Thanks.