Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where or is there a good place for asking a lot of "what is this thing" questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaztor, Mar 7, 2020.

1. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

Trying to help out my mom after my dad passed by selling parts and am looking for resources to help identify and value things. If its places other than HAMB thats fine. Mostly early Ford 32 stuff in particular. For example the quick change in my profile picture. It seems to be missing the the other axle tube but maybe is buried somewhere else.

I just dont want to offend anyone by continually asking and not "giving" to the forum.
    Thanks for any direction.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Attitude is a big thing and you seem to be thoughtful about it. Sorry about your Dad. I am sure due to your situation a lot of hambers will try and help you and your Mom.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Any pics will help and if you are willing to ship parts. Any info / pics/ prices as well. Now , how about some info on that quick change .:)

4. Just post the photo's on this thread and we will try to help you out. HRP

Boneyard51, chaztor, loudbang and 2 others like this.

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

This is a great place to ask those kinds of questions. :) Just do it all in this one discussion to keep things together, no need to start multiple discussions.

6. If it were up to me I would say that you are in the right place. No one is going to be offended or they shouldn't be. Post it here in the Hokey Assed Message Board section and let us see what you got. ;)

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, chaztor.
    Sorry about your dad.
    Plenty of guys here who are willing and able to help. You got everybody's attention when you said 1932. But of course, you need to post some pictures so we can see what you're talking about... and to show us that you're for real. One of the sayings here is... No pictures, it didn't happen.

You need to do some shopping. Pretend you're looking to buy the very parts you want to sell. See what everybody else is asking and go from there. Good luck.

And tell us a little more about yourself and your dad. Was he a member here?

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

We will help you and your mom any way we can. Post some photos and let's get started.

9. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

Great thanks for the feedback. I'm not able to get additional pictures of the quick change right now we were doing a quick look at one of his storage units. I'll start of with some ones I have close ups of;
    GM28? tranmission. One of his few GM parts Im guessing. Couldn't find much online with those numbers.
    gm28 tranny (1).jpg gm28 tranny (2).jpg gm28 tranny (3).jpg

loudbang likes this.
  10. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

Clutch; Ford, Chevy? haven't ran numbers yet;
    20200229_123638.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  11. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

There appears to be a new 32 RH door skin. They worth enough
    to make shipping worthwhile? (I'm testing uploading as a thumnail so sorry if the big pic is not available) << edit: I see that it does link to the big pic. Good to know.

32 door skin 2.jpg 32 door skin.jpg

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Trans is part of a '71 Chev Saginaw full syncro 3 speed, and the pressure plate is a Borg & Beck 3 finger. Trans isn't worth a lot unless you have the rest … used clutch parts don't sell for much either.

13. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

I grew up with my Dad and his business and hobby but maybe all that work drove me off to other fields haha. He was a member, Im trying to get my mom to dig up his online info to find out his account names etc...

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  14. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

thanks 302GMC. We do have other loose gears that were near by.

Hombre and loudbang like this.
  15. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

I'm out to clean out a spot in the garage to get the flathead out of my truck. Where on the block is ID?

loudbang likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

chaztor and loudbang like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Okay . Take your time :) Any (4) four speed transmissions, shifters or blowproof bellhousings say in the 1960’s and up I would be interested. My parents are on the east coast so shipping heavy stuff there would work as well. As stated we need pics for item condition and values. Trust is a big thing on here , so please proceed with that thought process. I don’t mind helping your Mom and you out . Take care .

18. You omitted that is a 3 window door skin. HRP

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Late last year I helped the widow of a friend of a friend identify and sell off what was left of her late husbands parts stash. I was able to identify a bunch of stuff I wasn't sure of. I ended up selling dang near everything either here or on the Barn. Didn't have to resort to the auction site or Craig's List. Only have a couple of items to take to the swap meet in June. She ended up making much more than she anticipated and I made something for my time. It was a win win all the way around. Good luck with selling the parts and sorry about your dad.

chaztor, olscrounger and loudbang like this.
  20. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the links. Seems to be a post war block. Either they stamped them too light or I need to a different solution to revealing the numbers. All I can make out is two "3"s a "S" and an upside down 15 in a square. On the lip by the bellhousing seems to be 33R:2. Any details you can fill in or estimate of value appreciated.
    fh_front.jpg fh_ID1.jpg fh_id02.jpg fh_ID2.jpg fh_offinstake.jpg fh_side.jpg fh_bell.jpg fh_ID1.jpg fh_id02.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine is a 49-53 8ba style unit. It appears to have Merc narrow belt water pumps -not the similar in appearance wide belt truck pumps. The bell housing is a limited year Merc only but I could be wrong. Hard to tell from the photos but it appears to have a rear sump oil pan which again indicates Merc but with a 70 year old engine many things could have been changed over the years. You might get lucky and find it has a Merc 4 inch crank. Only way to tell is to pull a head and measure the stroke. The cast numbers mean nothing and my guess is that the stamped numbers were done by a re-builder. They don't appear to be factory IMO. This is a link showing info on the bell housing: http://www.wilcap.com/flathead.html#FHID

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    loudbang and chaztor like this.
  22. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

Thanks. 51514bat! Looks like the 8ba bellhousing compatible with the top-loader. Thats got to be a good one.

loudbang likes this.
  23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'll need the bottom dust cover and I'm not sure how the starter bolts to the housing but it may need a plate like the truck and Merc 1/2 bells. Just make sure you have the correct pieces to bolt the starter up so as not to have issues with the bendix binding with the ring gear.

24. Maybe because he didn't know ? Just a guess......

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  25. If you watch the auction sites - you can get a feel for what parts are bringing as well as "what is it" If your kinda sure it's a 1932 or what ever year you can type that in. Folks on here can help with IDing some of the parts parts - but be open to - like a lot of us on here - we are hanging on to stuff - which might not have value to any one else but me/use ?

26. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I haven't even seen a flathead in decades, but I know an Offy 2-deuce intake when I see one.

27. chaztor

chaztor
    from Upstate NY

and yes it is a rear sump oil pan..

Anyone want to take a stab at value?

thanks Stillrunners, What sites have parts auctions besides Ebay?

28. IronTrap

IronTrap

Happy to help with identifying stuff and I’m a buyer too on the east coast!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chaztor and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The value of the flathead depends. Is it as pictured or do you have everything to make it a complete engine? Condition of the block and crank are important factors as well. A standard or 10/10 4 inch crank might be worth up to $400.00 to the right person. But its all kind of a crap shoot with an incomplete engine that may or may not have cracks, etc. I'd post it in the classifieds here and on the Ford Barn and see if there is any interest.

chaztor likes this.
  30. That could very well be the reason, when I looked at both the photo's I knew what it was as I have a long history with Deuces but when I enlarged the second photo it was abundantly clear it was for a 3window. HRP

[​IMG]

OLSKOOL57 likes this.