Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 49 Ford leaf spring alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrtexas, Mar 6, 2020.

1. mrtexas

mrtexas

I replaced the rear leaf springs on my 49 Ford with a Ford 8 inch rear end. The result is crooked spring hangers. What to do to fix this?

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did those home made shackles bend when you tightened down u-bolts? were u-bolts and rearend straight, and equal on both sides when tightened down? pic attached id of stock style shackles - looks like there needs to be a mounting point on frame that utilizes bushings - bushings in springs look old 20200306_131558.jpg

3. mrtexas

mrtexas

Ordered new spring hangers and front bolts from Shoebox Central. Thanks for advice.

4. My guess is that you didn't match the center to center measurement of the spring pads to the stock numbers.

5. speedshifter

speedshifter

6. speedshifter

speedshifter

Maybe the spring mounting pads on the axle hsg are the wrong distance apart. Greg

7. That's what I'm getting at. You shouldn't move the springs from there spacing to set spring pads on them. It makes stress load and something is going to move.

8. flathead4d

flathead4d

The spring perches on the Maverick 8 inch rear end are about 1/2 of an inch off on each side different than the stock shoebox rear end. Some guys move the spring perches so the spacing is the same as the stock rear end and some just pry the spring over and tighten it down. I used option #2 on my 50 and it hasn't caused any problems in the last 10 years. Did you use new bushings?

Phantoms1956 likes this.