Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Types of Tap and Die Sets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MUNCIE, Mar 6, 2020.

1. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Got a question for everyone, I was wondering do they make a type of die or thread cleaner that could be used in a tight area like this? Maybe one that is made to fit on the end of a ratchet? I have a nut that backed off the exhaust manifold and I remember the muffler shop saying something about they had to find a nut to fit but that was 2 years ago and now I got an exhaust leak.Turns out they messed up the starting thread on that one stud. It's just a basic 1/2 nut coarse thread but I can't get it to catch.

I don't want have to pull off the manifold just to use my t-handle style tap and die set and was hoping there was something out there I could fit in that tight space. If I have to go that route might as well pull both sides and put in some headers but I'm not sure full length headers would clear my brakes lines. Might not even be worth it to run some mid length or shorty style headers because I have heard to get the full benefits of headers it's best to run full length. Anyway I sure hope that they make something for tight spaces....

Attached Files:

2. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

A few other pictures of the exhaust....

Attached Files:

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah kind of. It's called a thread chaser.
    It's a combination of a die and a nut.

It's 6 sided just like a nut so you can use sockets on them. Any good local hardware or machinery store should have them.

Budget36, Truckdoctor Andy and MUNCIE like this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A thread chaser might due it depending on how bad the threads are messed up. They are made to clean up an existing thread, not cut a new thread. But I would try that first. It also looks like you have room to heat the manifold and remove that stud to replace it?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Orielly's rent a thread restore set.

MUNCIE likes this.
  7. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Cool that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

8. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Yes sir I thought about removing it but wanted to try and attempt the thread fix but I might end up going that route.

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

If you buy a tap and die set make sure the dies are hexagonal (like in lostone's picture)or 12 point, not round like a machinist's set. That way you can use a socket on them when necessary. Also make sure that the tap wrench with the collet type tap holder has a 3/8" square drive hole in the end of it so it can be used with a ratchet and extension if needed.

Truckdoctor Andy and MUNCIE like this.
  10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Problem with the "HEX" style is room. buy a chaser and tack weld a universal socket (cheap HF) to get the dia down., but removing the stud will be quicker and cheaper in the long run

Desoto291Hemi and MUNCIE like this.
  11. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I have used the hex die with a ratcheting wrench. And taps useing a star socket that works great on the square end of taps. Also I have two thread files with about every thread size around.

MUNCIE likes this.
  12. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I need to up my tool collection...:D

13. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Thanks guys for all the input, I just ordered this set from Summit for now...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900199
    I will see how it goes. I'm thinking about pulling the stud out over the weekend but it's always good to have more tools.

14. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

That's the way to go. Those chasers have a very small hex. I think it will fit in their fine with a deep well socket.

MUNCIE likes this.
  15. egads

egads

These work great for cleaning threads. Clamp it around the good threads and remove like a nut, saved a lot of bolt's and stud's with these. https://www.chaseembacktools.com/ The problem with tread chasers is once the treads are bad enough that you can't start a nut, you can't start the chaser.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    blowby likes this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would pull the pipe down even if you have to take the muffler loose. Then put some heat on it and see if you can back the stud out with vice grips or a welded on nut. You put the heat on the manifold mostly, not so much on the stud. Let me restate that. Put heat on the stud near the manifold till it gets red and then let it cool off. Once cool, see if it will turn out. If not put heat on the manifold till its real hot and try to loosen the stud. Watch out for gas and brake lines. Replace the stud. You can try rethreading but I don't think it will work because you usually lose enuff thread in the previous botched attempts that it just doesn't work. Good luck with whatever you do.;)

MUNCIE likes this.
  17. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Nice! Thanks for sharing

18. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Thanks you sir. Gonna see what I can do. Just trying to get it fixed without removing the manifold. If I have to take it completely off I think I'm gonna give some mid length headers a shot. I just needed it running fast back then because it was my daily driver and I was in a pinch so I decided to go with the manifolds since I already had them.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"... removing the stud will be quicker and cheaper in the long run"

Unless, of course, it breaks off.

You don't need to put a socket on the die nut, you can turn it with an open end wrench. I find WD40 is a good cutting lube for this work (not for cutting new threads).

20. Budget36

Budget36

As mentioned, us a thread chaser, the "ends" are duller to not promote cutting new threads. For inside bolt holes do the same thing.

A tap or die can ruin your day in these circumstances.

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

How hard is it to take the manifold off and clamp it in your bench vise and fix it . then put it back on .

22. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

No vise but I get your point.

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

If the only threads you can save are down toward the end of the stud, an all thread connector with a little anti-seize can be used for an extended nut.

MUNCIE likes this.
  24. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Sometimes a castle nut installed slots first works well as a chaser/cleaner.

Gary

X-cpe and MUNCIE like this.
  25. 500caddy

500caddy

If the nut came loose and fell off why would the threads be that bad you can’t start a new nut

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Budget36

Budget36

Go ahead, re-read the OP's post;)

27. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It's pretty hard to see the condition of the threads from the pictures.

28. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

;)

29. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Sorry guys but I was in a rush on my way to work and the truck was warming up....

30. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Thank you sir for the tip, I got a few laying around, hopefully I will have one the right size...