Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leaking NWC T5

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug Collins, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Doug Collins

Doug Collins

Good morning,

New guy here. Looking for some advice on fixing a leak at the front of my NWC T5 tranny. Looking at the front of the tranny, at the 4:00 position from the input shaft there's a small plug pressed into the case.
    Mine seems to be leaking, and I see nothing about replacement of it in the manual. It appears to be the same size as the plug at the front end of the top cover at the end of the shifter shaft and I actually have one from a rebuild kit.

How do I get it out and replace it?

Thanks a bunch.

Attached Files:

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like the Welsh plug for the 5th / reverse shift rail in the case. It doesn't need to be removed during a rebuild, but as you see it's a good idea. If the trans is out on the bench you might get it out with the trans together.

3. Doug Collins

Doug Collins

That would be great if I could avoid opening up the case. Perhaps drill a small hole in the plug and pry it out, clean up the hole, replace the plug using a little Indian Head sealant and flatten it with a punch to expand it in the hole? (typical Welch plug install)

4. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

I'd be very careful when drilling. Use a magnet on the bit and tip it up so any shavings fall down and not into the trans. Should be able to do it without cracking it open.

5. Doug Collins

Doug Collins

good suggestion.

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just put a bit of grease on the drill bit and go slow. The shift rail should prevent anything getting into the case. Just clean things up after the plug is out and seal the new plug.

triumph 1 likes this.
  7. Doug Collins

Doug Collins

Excellent. Thank you for your quick advice. Now I've got a project for the weekend. :)

8. 37gas

37gas

I have had problems on other transmissions and I got into the habit of putting some silicon on that plug just before I mate it up the bellhousing, they have never leaked since I have been doing that and that would be about 55 years

9. Doug Collins

Doug Collins

I like the belt and suspenders approach.

Thanks

10. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

I use the magnets from old speakers. They have hole in the middle and are perfekt to drill in..

11. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I would probably clean it real well with brake clean and put black rtv on it. Probably need to remove the bearing support to get it all. Kinda looks like it's been out before. Either way even if you put a new one in I'd put rtv around it.