Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I still think you are going to have trouble with the .060 jets and blocked power valves. my vette is running .049 jets and seemed real fat when I had .o52's in it. Man a fre's work best with jets .010 smaller than stock 2gc's have.... I think you need to put the pwr valves back in and jet it way down. there is a reason you had wet black plugs. If you think you have too much camshaft overlap , I bet there are lighter springs avail for the power valves.....or maybe there is a cam change in your future. One of the things I remember about the real AG coupe when I saw it at a show back in 02 was how smooth and slow it idled....

Elcohaulic, catdad49 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  2. We have definitely talked about that as well. We should finally be able to generate decent vacuum with all 4 carbs tuned. Here's the engine's parts information. I don't know if it's helpful to you.

Parts; 1- HK500 kit; stainless valves, springs, retainers, keys, seals rocker studs and guide plates.

ARP parts; oil pump shaft, head bolts, main cap bolts Keith Black pistons w/ Hasting moly rings Eagle AIR con-rods Scorpion aluminum rockers arms Crane cam & lifter kit Engine Pro HT push rods Comp Cams timing set Melling oil pump & screen Clevite main, rod and cam bearings SBI nickel exhaust valve seats Victor engine gasket set Mr.G 179 extra thick valve cover gaskets Pioneer brass block plug kit Autolite # 303 spark plugs 10 qts. Castrol 30w HD Fram PH30 (oil & filter changed after test run)

You'll see the cam info in the attachment.

I wouldn't be surprised if I needed a more friendly cam. My carbs are 1957 2G carbs with the larger 1958 bowls. Thank you for all the great advice. Any feedback is very much respected and appreciated. IMG_20200220_192930.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  3. loudbang likes this.
  4. What do y'all think? Was this a pretty aggressive engine build? I really have no compass here.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that 106 Lsa cam is not going to play nice with that manifold in my opinion......

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Auto or Manual? Gears? Old School performance (open type intake being one) were designed with rpm in mind to work.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  7. That caught my attention as well. Then I started wondering if he meant the idle mixture screws or the idle speed screws. o_O

Do these 4x2 setups need to have the idle speed set individually at each carb? Or is there an idle speed adjustment made somewhere in the throttle linkage? Or is it a combination of both? :confused:

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  8. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

I agree.
    Plus,FYI,take a look at your valve cover gasket,you see the extra bolt holes that are down on the bottom?
    i like to put those holes to the top,and fill them with sealer,the gasket is very thin in that area and they will leak.
    Its not your vacuum problem,just an fyi.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Every multiple carb setup I've ever seen, motorcycle or car, sports car or hot rod, (except for progressive systems) each carb has it's own idle speed adjustment as well as idle mixture adjustment, and each carb needs to be adjusted individually but in synch with the rest. I cannot imagine a system where that isn't the case.

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  10. I'm beginning to think that too! We'll see!

loudbang likes this.
  11. It's a 4 speed, T-10. So yes?

loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  12. Yes. I was referring to the idle speed screws. It previously was using only one screw for all 4 carbs.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Ok. I'll look at that! Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  14. That was exactly our thinking! The idle adjustment cam that holds the screws was also missing on 3 carbs. This was stressing the linkage and allowing at least 2 of the carbs to completely close their butterflies at idle. Bad news! No wonder the engine was angry!

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  15. That also explains why the car would run a little better with more throttle. The butterflies we're also sticking as they are never meant to be completely closed! Wish I would have understood that sooner!

loudbang likes this.
  16. It looks like the 2GCs use the same screw to adjust the curb (base) idle speed and the fast idle speed (for cold starting with the choke applied). Am I seeing that correctly?

If that's the case you'll definitely need to have the fast idle cams and linkages in place on all carburetors. And for tuning the engine at operating temperatures make sure that the choke valves are fully open on all carbs. Maybe even consider wiring the choke linkage in the fully open position. And be sure that the idle speed screws do contact the fast idle cam at its lowest setting, even if just slightly. I don't think you'll want the throttle blades to be completely closed on any of the carbs, which might also allow them to stick in the throttle bores.

Though it sounds like you're already getting most of these details sorted. Somebody straighten me out on this if I'm thinking about all this the wrong way.

17. We're definitely moving forward. We going to start the tuning process on Wednesday. Hopefully it will go well. We're are going to go very slowly. Balancing carburators first without the linkage. I have the older 2G carbs. They have a different choke set up. It looks like it should have 2 mixture screws and one idle screw for each carburetor.

loudbang likes this.
  18. sunbeam

sunbeam

19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

joel likes this.
  20. Oh yeah. It's old school to me. Especially considering I'm 40 with no mechanical experience. Thank God I've got my "old school" friends and everyone here on the HAMB!

Also here's a better pic of my carbs. (No idle screw yet) It shows how the idle cam also functions as a throttle stop. Without it the linkage slams the butterflies closed. IMG_20200306_163604.jpeg IMG_20200306_163622.jpeg

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

with a man a fre you do not need chokes. It would be best when you get your fast idle cams if you install them with a washer under the screw so they can be set and then not move.....

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

A three bolt Man A Fre manifold must be rare

loudbang likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't think they ever made one... man a fre as a company were all about 2gc rochesters

catdad49 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  24. There you go. . . That sounds like the best way to keep everything locked down. ;)

25. Sir,
    You say add a washer underneath the small idle screws? That would be a tiny washer. Good idea though....

loudbang likes this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No, place a washer under the shoulder screw that holds the fast idle cam to keep it from rotating

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Did that years ago on a single carb application because I got tired of varying idle speeds even the choke was disabled. Now imagine that X4.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

loudbang likes this.
  29. sunbeam

sunbeam

30. Ok. Perfect! We noticed that and added one on each carb. Thank you! IMG_20200306_163622.jpeg

loudbang and Moriarity like this.