Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which Cam for a Flattie?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Haven't heard back engine shop yet regarding my "Frozen 8BA Revisited" block but I'm thinking about the cam. I may have my original reground or buy one ready to go. The engine is an 8BA and may be bore .020-.030 over stock. Th engine came with a Merc crank that someone long ago was nice enough to swap in. Will be running original Eddie Meyer heads and a Edmonds Intake with the 97s or perhaps one 97 and a couple of 94s?

Really just a nice driver with a little neck snapage off the line. '39 transmission with Lincoln Zephyr gears and a '40 rear end (ratio not known at this time).

So what say all of you as to specs on the cam and aftermarket suppliers like Isky etc.?

2. Ratspit

Ratspit

I am in the process of building a warmed up flathead and decided to go with a Schneider 270F cam. I read a ton of old posts here on the Hamb and then talked with a few cam builders to get their opinions. Schneider seemed very knowledgeable so I chose them.

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might look into the L-100 "smiley" cam. :) I have one in a 276" and agree with many that it's a great all around cam.

6. I have an Isky Max1 in mine...51 truck block, 4" merc crank, overbore, Mallory dual point, EAB heads, Edmunds 2x2 with vintage ford script 94's.... I like it a lot.

7. I love Winfield SU-1A's. Have one in my 34

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I presume these all have the much desired "rumpity rump" attitude...

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a MAX-1 in my 258" flathead with Edmunds heads and a Mallory dual point. It idles nice and smooth. It could be because I am still running a single carb for break-in.

10. flatjack

flatjack

I've been running the SU-1A in my 276 inch engine for over 20 years now and really like it. Very similar to the L-100.

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Cam lobe design has advanced dramatically in the last 20 years. Has the modern lobe technology been applied to flatheads yet, or are we still using 50 year old designs?

town sedan likes this.