Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 chevy fleetline tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainy, Sep 13, 2010.

1. rainy

rainy

I've installed a 1958 235 engine and a three speed tranny in my 48 chevy fleetline and am now trying to connect linkage rods to the tranny from the original column . I not getting anywhere with this , made new rods and no luck . Are the original columns in the 48 chevys non compatable with later open driveline three speed trannys , has anyone been able to get this set up to work . Trying to keep the appearance of the car as original as possible , thats why i am hoping to keep the original column . Sure would appreciate you help , thanks rainy

2. LameExcuse

LameExcuse
    from Renton, WA

I will try and help you but I'm no expert. I will try and explain what I found out with my 48 Chevy.

The original 3 speed for the 48 is a "selector" type trans. As I understand it, the large rear most shifting lever on the trans did all of the shifting for all 3 gears and reverse. It moves only forward and backward either shifting 1st and R or 2nd and 3rd depending on where the smaller shift lever is positioned. If the smaller shift lever (the selector) was in the down position the larger shift lever moved one set and if in the up position it moved the other set. I found this out when trying to locate a floor shift conversion for my 48. My current plan is to get a automatic style shifter with the trigger under the grip. The trigger will act as my selector and the shifter will do all the gear changing. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far with my build yet.

On normal transmissions like to one you have installed the shift levers and similar in size. One lever does 1st and R and the second lever does 2nd and 3rd. These shift lever work independently from one another.
    In your situation, my guess would be that you will have to find 3 speed linkage from a more modern style 3 speed. I would think that the shifter handle could be retained to keep the stock look.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along with more help.

3. i've got a '41 pontiac 239 that i wanted to convert and couldn't find anything to work either

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

if the tranny is a selector type all gears on one rod, then could a linkage from 3speed auto work??? or be adapted??? maybe even from a 49-54 power-g???

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If you are trying to keep a stock appearing shift linkage, you might take a look at 49 and later columns. It might be possible to adapt the later linkage to the earlier column.

VANDENPLAS and vtx1800 like this.
  6. rainy

rainy

I am surprised that someone hasn't been able to install an open driveline tranny in a 48 or older chevy and adapt the steering column. now i've got a real problem on what to do. What have others done to maintain a three on the tree with the later trannys . Hope someone can tell me what they've done . thanks Rainy

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Most of us when we were kids tried to get rid of the column shift, and go to a floor shift.

I installed a Saginaw 4-speed in my 47, but that was over twenty years ago. If I were to do it today, it would get a T-5

The problem with the early columns, they weren't very good. My memory was that they were pretty sloppy. The linkage would go out of adjustment and it didn't shift very well or would hangup in two gears. All it took was for that to happen once to my wife and it was changed. My wife didn't like having to get under the hood and work on the car to get home, when she was dressed up either going to or coming home from work.

I suppose if you were to completely replace all of the bushings, you could get it back to something similar to new. Then it might work fine for you.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You shouldn't have to change the whole column. The shifting assembly on my '53 BelAir bolts to the top of the steering column, and you should be able to bolt one from a '49-'54 to your '48 column without much trouble.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. rainy

rainy

The transmission for a 53 chevy is also for a closed driveline . so won't it be the same type of transmission with the same selector shifting as the 48 chevrolet . I thought I'd have to adapt a open driveline shifter 1955 or later to match the transmission , maybe I'm wrong , Rainy

10. duniqueone

duniqueone

sorry to revive this old thread and hopefully by now someone has come up with an idea for this
    im in the same situation
    i am using a 235 and manual out of a 55 chevy and trying to retain the stock column and steering gear
    the stock steering gear shaft is one piece that goes to the steering wheel so swapping it will be tough unless someone knows what to replace is with that is bolt on and will work with that manual
    any ideas or progress with this is appreciated
    thanks

11. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Find a '49-'52 3 speed car, then use everything from the shift lever down to the trans. ...
    You'll have to drill & tap a few things, & do some bending here & there, but you can do it ….
    '53-'54 pass., & '48-'59 pickup parts are not recommended because of the larger mast jacket ...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. lowrd

lowrd

I placed a 53 column mechanism on a 40 sedan with a 57 trans and all worked. Hardest part was making correct length shift rods from the column to the trans. It all took time and effort.

13. donno

donno

fordcramar is pointing you in the right direction. Just use the Hurst type Teflon bushings and the spring loaded cir clips. Works good. NO WASHERS / COTTER PINS!!