Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Appleton Spotlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rods2Live, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Rods2Live

Rods2Live

Can anyone identify the appleton model and year of these spotlights?

If see some with different handle and color (black)

Thanks!

2. Rods2Live

Rods2Live

Sorry forgot to post pick

Attached Files:

3. I you are looking to buy them have the seller confirm the stamping on the shell. Those seem to have the later handle and are not 112s. S-55x series. But hard to tell if they are the same from that angle

4. Rods2Live

Rods2Live

Thank you for your input abe!

Anyone else for the specifics? Year and handle identification?

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

The handles look like a perfect match to my S-451 Appleton's, but I can't tell the depth of the spotlight bulb housing to verify that's what they are.
    Circa 1952 ...

6. Squablow

Squablow

That picture angle really makes it tough to determine, what you really want is a dead-on side profile shot to see how deep and teardrop-shaped the housing is.

Unfortunately not all of them have the model number stamped into the top, I have a pair of 112's I got from the Bob Klessig estate that are blank at the top, and a lot of times, rechrome jobs end up washing out the lettering and stamping, even when it was there.

The value difference between 112 and s-552 models and everything else is staggering. You really want to be totally sure what you're getting before you buy, unless they're extremely cheap, in which case I'd assume you'd have already bought them.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Staggering you say . I need to check mine for the model . Mmmmm....

8. Squablow

Squablow

I see nice pairs of used 112 and S-552 lights bring over a grand, I rarely see any of the other models bring more than $100, and I feel like most of those are being bought for the handles and other parts.

stillrunners likes this.
  9. Rods2Live

Rods2Live

Thanks for all the replies!

Did the 552's have a thumb switch?

Did you have color choice when buying new? I've seen some with black handles.

Thank you

Attached Files:

10. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I've seen the with the thumb switch and push button.

11. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

What if any is the numbers on the exterior mount (two screw holes.)

12. Squablow

Squablow

On the mounting bracket? Those are specific to what kind of car they mount on. Usually accompanied by an L or R to denote left and right. There are a lot of variations of the mount bracket, they are not all the same.

13. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I understand that’s why I asked for the number if any left

14. Squablow

Squablow

OK I get it now, I misunderstood.

15. Dang.....sold so many over the years - not really knowing what I had.....but I'm happy and the buyers were happy.......

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for the reply. I have a bunch of Unity’s as well with auto makers and some without. I collect too much of everything .:):D

17. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

552 spots usually had the push button or the butterfly switch. Appleton did make mounting brackets, early on, that were specific to the make of car. later years most were sold with universal grind to fit brackets.I have not seen a mounting template for cars later than 1955 or56. I have never seen them marked R or L for right or left. All the ones I have the numbers start with L. Universal right hand bracket is L997, VERY hard to find. The universal left hand bracket is L999. Those were the most common universal brackets used on the 1949-51 Fords and Mercs as well as the 1941-48 Fords & Mercs to a lesser degree.