Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 8 Inch Rear With Posi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MUNCIE, Jan 27, 2010.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i have used a few in street rods, for just a driver rear there ok, but biggest problem i have seen most are noisey, second, they use a sealed bearing, not a bearing thats lubed by the gear oil. if you do alot of driving like i do , and the crap bearings that are sold today, that dont last to long. somebody here has used a non sealed bearing in them im sure. but if you compare the diff. in the 8 and 9, and compare the sizes of housings the 8 is on the weak side if your car is very heavy. send some money, put a 9 in it, you will be happier if you drive alot.

hotrodA likes this.
  2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

oh yea, i believe randys ring and pinion, sellls different ratios for the 8 inch, and also a guy in northern ky. has gears and parts

3. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

So what do you guys think about using the axle with the slight discoloration?

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

The discoloration may from someone cutting off the axle bearing with a torch at one time .I use a cutoff wheel to cut them off.If you need another third member to build ,i have an open one with a 3.00 gear in it that you can have for free .It was good when i ran it a few years ago ,but it has been sitting outside since.It should be taking apart and cleaned atleast ...

5. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Cool thanks I was wondering if that might have been the case but with these salvage parts just never know what you are getting.

6. The Shocker

The Shocker

No problem:) .It was given to me a few years ago by another Hamber ,and im not gunna need it now .I have a right side axle from a small bearing 57 Ford 9 inch that you can have as well.Its the same width as the early Mustang 8 inch and they are both 28 spline and have the same small axle bearings.I know they are the same because i have flip flopped them from both in the past .I think i even have sum backing plates to throw in as well ...

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Theres NO magic vehicle to find an 8" with a Trac or Equa lock Posi.
    Same goes for the lower gear ratios.
    I've HEARD that Maverick Grabbers ALL had Posi's and also that the V8 MII had the same.
    NOT TRUE in my experience of scrapping Maverick rearends for axles and housing ends to make car style 9" housings from truck 9" donors.

NEVER found one and my friend OWNS a local scrapyard...on top of us searching all the other local yards and dumps for the magic 9 and Maverick 8" housings.

As for the V8 MII...I had a 78 302 Cobra and it had 3.00's without a Posi...so they didn't ALL have them, although it's likely some did.

I've seen a couple of 3.50-3.55's...one in an early Falcon or Comet with a 6 and the other was from a V6 MII.
    The MII full rearend's ALL had really small bearing ends and 4 lug axles though...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    stillrunners likes this.
  8. i don't know if all had them , but my `75 Grabber had one

9. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

pintos with v6s i used to find the best gears in 325s and 355s

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats my point...it was an option for most vehicles...a guarantee for none!
    Somebody just had to tick the little box on the order form...thats all it took.

11. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Some Granada's and Monarch's had 8 inch posi's

12. vin likes diesel

vin likes diesel

hope this helps , sorry it is a bit jumbled up but this is from the rodsnsods site in the uk , my brother runs low tens in his 100e with a 8" axle. and 150 shot of gas.....................

"sorry vin it`s 489.9bhp and 465ft lb of torque. unfortunately i cant hold it on the converter more than 1800rpm as it creeps forward,even though it`s a 3000 stall converter.it is a compromise for street use more than racing "

"my axle is a mustang11 8 inch,narrowed to 40 inches .it has a strange ring and pinion with 3.8-1 ratio and a auburn lsd.it did have a stock lsd but broke that after 6 years of abuse, bearing in mind the lsd was proberly 30 years old when it let go.at the moment the halfshafts are resplined ones and have been in the car for 7 years now. " cheers vin

[​IMG]

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
    Chavezk21 likes this.
  13. Fro

Fro
    from Joplin Mo.

There is a young kid here locally that has a 65 mustang with a 331 stroker and a big shot of nitrous with a c4 and an 8inch with a spool on dot tires that has ran in the low 10's, he broke an axle last season but the 8 inch is still there.

14. I have an 8" trac lock, but it needs a clutch pack, and they seem about impossible to find.

15. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Had some time today cleaned up the rear end inside and out.When I pulled the tird member out on Friday the gears looked really good.Too bad they are 2.79's but they were in a whole lot better shape then the 3.00's out of the 67 rear.Will slap some primer on tomorrow before work and then on Thursday I will get the bearing kit and install them on the on axles and then the seals in the housing.Then some paint and on to the whole third member.Hope to get it in a couple of weeks if I don't run across any used gears locally.Which is what I am hoping for that way all I have to do is buy the posi.If not going the whole new setup route...we'll see what happens.

[​IMG]

16. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Wow sucks that my pics are gone....

17. Hmm interesting this thread came up...I’ve got an 8” in my 65 Falcon..est 375 HP 289..C4...I’m torn between putting a Built center section in..claims to hold up to 500HP...or try to sell a kidney for a 9”

18. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If the power of your engine, your propensity for wrecking stuff etc. isn't too much for the 8 inch differential, your car will be faster with it than with the 9 inch. It's lighter.

19. Well I’m also running M & H cheater slicks...don’t plant to drag race..but would like to get on it on a lonely road occasionally

20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I had a 3:55 8 inch in my 39 Ford coupe that came from a mustang II, didn’t have Posi, it was from a V-8 car, so they didn’t all have Posi with a V-8

21. Basically what I have in my 39 Ford as well out of a Maverick - 3.00 gears. Have a Champ quick change that I would like to put under it for ease of gear swapping gears - but I'm running a flathead so the work might not be justified. 67/69 Cougars always seem to have 9"'s under them but not all posi.

22. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I had a 76 Pinto wagon with 3.55s and T-lock once upon a time. Gave it to a friend who put it in a 39 Chevy with after market axles (don't remember who) and huge rear tires. He was not easy on the thing but never had a problem with street tires.

23. topher5150

topher5150

I wonder what my 351 is going to do to an 8"

24. I’ve been looking into this too...they say 400HP, light car, automatic..a built up 8” should be fine...add a manual trans and sticky tires..not gonna last long...but then others will say I’m running 10:80’s in my Mustang with a 450hp 351...seems like the trans and suspension have a lot to do with longevity

25. topher5150

topher5150

I don't plan on doing to much with the engine, but stock it's already torquey. It's a HO that came from a mid 80s super duty

26. Had an 8" rear in my '35, flattie and 5 spd. 3.55 gears. Presently have the same in the coupster but a posi, y-block and wc 5 speed in front. I think they usually came either 2.79 or 3.00 factory and about 100 lbs lighter than the 9" which is less unsprung weight in a lighter car. Only lit it up one time, but with the street tires---felt good.

stillrunners likes this.
  27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the posts in this old thread (from a banned member) says this:

Wouldn't this depend on the gear ratio? Some of those high numbered ratios have a fairly small pinion gear, so not sure if the above is fact or not. Can any of you shed light on the questionable comment?

Beanscoot likes this.
  28. I run an 8" out of a Maverick in my Model A. I recently changed gears to a 3.55 and added an Auburn Locker when I switched from a 4sp to a T5. No problems at all, but my Studebaker V8 isn't a huge power house either, and street tires.

IMG_2001.JPG

29. topher150, I'm running an 8" in my 47 with 351W, mild street cam etc. Not an issue.

topher5150 likes this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The 8" in my T has

axles and housing are from a 78 monarch , the center section is a 3.55 from a 74 M II , l put a " lok'- rite" in it . the center was showing 68 k miles , I've added 50k . my engine is producing in the neighborhood of 500+ lbs ft . of torque ,trans is a 4-speed , tires are 265-60r 15 , car is 2000+ lbs with 2 passengers . I beat the hell out of it for about 15 years but not so much anymore . The 8" has never had the slightest problem . The pinion gear has 9 teeth. I think you guys are selling the 8" short ...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020