Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration How fast does a Decade go by?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

How fast does a Decade go by?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That is nuts... My best memory of us is driving around LA in your roadster and being randomly terrorized when the brakes would fail intermittently. That was fun.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

they say that time goes by like a roll of toilet paper... the closer you are to the end, the faster it goes.... I enjoy your articles here.. here's to another 10 years, or a decade, which ever comes first

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

How fast does a Decade go by?

[​IMG]
    From my experience, when I was 10 years old it took 20 years for a decade to go by. When I was 40-50 years old, a decade took 10 years to go by. Now that I am 70 it only takes 3.5 years for a decade to go by.

5. Yep....still enjoy....thanks !

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Depends on which prison you're in. LOL.

7. birdman1

birdman1

The grandkids are what makes time pass quickly, but it's so rewarding to help and watch them grow up. I love it

8. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

As I said about Steve C, keep on trucken ! I'm sure I speak for all, we appreciate your alway interesting posts.

9. @Jive-Bomber Jay - I really enjoy your TJJ Blog posts ... Thanks for the past 10 years ... Please keep 'em coming!

lurker mick likes this.
  10. I was reading a thread you started in 20164 last night about low buck customs,
    I saw myself in that blog.:)

I hope you continue to contribute for decades to come, thank you. HRP

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  11. jnaki

jnaki

Hey JB,

Your stories are like reading a good book. Good English, correct grammar, punctuation, everything we learned in our High School English classes that most of us hated. But, clarity in writing, is the most important and then comes the content. Your content is always a fun read and hope it continues.

In the beginning, I could type quickly with the knowledge and facts in front of me. But, I hated to capitalize what was necessary. Then I got chastised for being a photojournalist in my past history. So, I make it a point to write what I remember from our history, correctly and factually. I also make sure my English teacher is not looking down on me with quizzical looks, saying to herself... "I did not show you how to write that way...!!!" Thanks, Mrs. T...

Jnaki

Your twice weekly inserts are something to look forward to, as they bring up a multitude of things in the hot rod world. Thank you and Ryan for these series of articles. Great work... it is thanks, from an old photojournalist who loves reading and writing...just like in high school and college... (with an impetus from my English Major, wife of a zillion years.)

We are counting decades? Those have gone by too fast...

Halfdozen, Just Gary and HEMI32 like this.
  12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It goes too fast.

But I'm grateful we can share it.

Thanks, JB... for everything you contribute over the years go by.

Everybody have a good day!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Like your article, keep it up!

14. williebill

williebill

You've done well, I've always liked your writing.
    As for your question, all the clichés we heard from the old folks when we were growing up were true. But, as I guess human nature intended, we didn't listen, and we certainly didn't give it much thought.
    We had "all the time in the world".
    10 years ago, my projects looked much like they do now. Life changes, and we sometimes have very little control.
    20 years ago, life was humming along, I was still married, and my daughter was in college.
    30 years ago, my 2 children were small, and the center of my universe. Except I worked too many hours.
    40 years ago, I was 4 years into business ownership, and getting married. Cars took a back seat.
    50 years ago, I graduated from high school, raised a lot of Hell, thought I'd probably die in Vietnam. I never went.
    I look forward to your writing 10 years from now. Thanks for what you do.

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Man , you described that perfectly !!

16. It goes by like this: :eek: 1 Pic F - Copy.JPG 7 20170212_155538-1.jpg

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10 years...no more no less.

Tman likes this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

always a good read, I look forward to seeing entry’s with your tag on them :)

19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just Gary likes this.
  20. Holy Cow, that's seriously fast! HRP

Baumi likes this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Always a good read, @Jive-Bomber. It's hard to believe that it'll be seven years for me in April. Time really does fly!

HEMI32 likes this.
  22. Think about this Jay. All of us sitting around at Mokan after the first HAMB drags? 17 years ago?

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Goes by faster, the older one gets. Buckle up.

olscrounger likes this.
  24. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

A grateful HAMB nation thanks you for your service.

Just Gary likes this.
  25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´ve been lurkin´since 99 or 2000 and I finally joined to ask many silly newbie questions about problems I had with my 34 Plymouth or my 56 Chevy I built in the early 2000s... The HAMB helped me every single time I needed it and I learned so much along the way to this day. Back then, I couldn´t have squeezed enough hp from my 327, today I´m driving an inline six and the 59AB in my 40. OK, there´s a few 283/301/ 327 and a 425 nailhead in the garage too. But hp doesn´t matter to me as much as it did about 20 years ago. A nicely driving and quiet stock flatty powered Ford can be just as much fun or even more.... That´s one of the things I learned .
    Thank you, Hambers!

town sedan likes this.
  26. There was a funny letter to the editor in Mechanical Engineering magazine many years ago. The guy's premise was that the cesium atom has progressively sped up its vibration frequency. Since atomic clocks to which all time keeping devices are calibrated are based on the vibration frequency of cesium atoms, the feeling that time is going faster and faster is an illusion. We are all much younger than the calendar seems to indicate.

I am fascinated with the concept of time. I have studied it for years but still have no idea what it really is. My hot rodding perspective is dictated by my ownership of my '36 Willys coupe. Built in 1936. I bought it from a classmate in 1964 so it was 28 years old when I got it. Now in 2020, the car is 84 years old so I have owned it 56 years or exactly 2/3 of its life. How is that possible?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    town sedan, raven and warbird1 like this.
  27. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Jay, always enjoyed those Hop Up annuals and specials-each one was jam-packed with only the best stuff! The photos, writing and content was 100% traditional goodness-all killer and no filler! Thanks for your efforts there and here as well. I always enjoy reading your posts! Keep up the good work!

28. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

Thank you for your contributions, and dedication!

29. X-cpe

X-cpe

My brother has a theory about the acceleration of the passage of time. When you are 5 years old, one year is 1/5th of your life. When you are 50 years old, one year is 1/50th of your life.

hotrodjack33 likes this.